How to remove Heat Pressed Numbers and Name?

nyr007

Hey I have a 1992 ASG Lemieux that I'd like to turn into a Desjardins or a Roy. If the heat-pressed numbers have been on for 20 or so years, is there any way to remove them? They are just on the back because of the model for this given game (75th anniversary) so that takes care of one headache but it still has the C. Any word is much appreciated!

yes I have been looking for an answer to this as well.....however as tb426 said.....it simply cannot be done without ruining the material......

you can't. Period.

Case closed.

Why do you always come off as being rude, especially to new members on here? If you can't answer the question without sounding like a tool, don't answer it.

Anyway, I don't know if Goof Off would work on the glue after it's been on for that long. I'm 99.9% positive you'd ruin the jersey.

I've tried doing it before only to rip the jersey. It's about 99.9% impossible.

The jersey I tried to get it off was from 1996. So it was almost the same age as yours. I hate to say it, but it's not going to happen.

When numbers and letters are stitched to a jersey, aren't they also heat pressed in place?

I know it is possible to strip a jersey, so why would removing heat pressed numbers be different?

Do they use a different glue when holding the numbers in place for stitching?

I really need to learn more about how the entire customization process takes place.

When numbers and letters are stitched to a jersey, aren't they also heat pressed in place?

I know it is possible to strip a jersey, so why would removing heat pressed numbers be different?

Do they use a different glue when holding the numbers in place for stitching?

I really need to learn more about how the entire customization process takes place.

Typically "Authentic" numbers are heat pressed onto the jersey, then stitched. This is to keep the numbers in place when the sewing is done. There is no glue applied, the glue/adhesive is actually apart of the twill. So one side is the twill and the other side has a hardened adhesive on it that melts when heat pressed.

With the "Heat Pressed" numbers it is almost impossible to cleanly remove them from the jersey because they use a much stronger adhesive on the numbers. I suppose this is to compensate for the numbers not being stitched down onto the jersey. I've seen some heat pressed numbers removed and the glue residue left behind is very hardened and almost embedded onto the jersey.

i ahve this same problem with a wild wing jersey i ahve the numbers were put on upside down its a selanne jersey. the jersey its self is in great shape but it looks funny wit hthe upside down numbers id be willing to trade to anyone is interested give me an offer

i ahve this same problem with a wild wing jersey i ahve the numbers were put on upside down its a selanne jersey. the jersey its self is in great shape but it looks funny wit hthe upside down numbers id be willing to trade to anyone is interested give me an offer

That jersey must haunt everyone.....if its the same one i kept seeing on ebay from different sellers.

That jersey must haunt everyone.....if its the same one i kept seeing on ebay from different sellers.

Its starting to haunt me, but the seller on ebay did point out the jerseys flaws and since im a complusive buyer i still ended up buying it. i dont know if this is realistic but id like to trade it for a blank wild wing or burger king id also be willing to throw in another jersey from my collection and i have lots of rare ones in mint condition

Its starting to haunt me, but the seller on ebay did point out the jerseys flaws and since im a complusive buyer i still ended up buying it. i dont know if this is realistic but id like to trade it for a blank wild wing or burger king id also be willing to throw in another jersey from my collection and i have lots of rare ones in mint condition

Have you tried having the numbers removed and put on correctly?

I have a blank one available...I'm ideally looking for cash for it but send me a PM with what you have available.

I have a blank one available...I'm ideally looking for cash for it but send me a PM with what you have available.

ok i will do that jsut give me some time, i see u have roenick listed as ur favorite player list i have 2 jerseys of him blackhawks 3rd jersey (black) koho large and a phoenix away jersey but its made by starter

you can't. Period.

Case closed.

Not true.

Thanks in part to new technologies, DNA testing, and the Whopper, this case has been re-oppened.

Ok, maybe it's not quite as sophisticated as that, but I've successfully removed heatpress numbers using acetone. I should have done a write-up, but I had gloves and a mask on, and didn't want to be messing with my camera while I was doing it.

Acetone eats/dissolves plastics.

The jersey I performed surgery on was a mid 80s CCM white mesh that had black numbers heat pressed on.

I started by taking a small bit of acetone to the inside hem to see how it would affect the jersey, but everything was good (did nothing to the jersey).

I then put the acetone in a baking sheet (approx. 1/2 deep), layed the jersey/numbers in the acetone (submerged) for approx. 30 seconds, removed the jersey, and layed it flat afterwards. Within 20 seconds I could see the corners/edges of the numbers start to shrivel/shrink slightly. I then grabbed a razor blade, and gently slid it between the heat pressed numbers and the jersey, to start lifting the numbers away. Kinda like an old sticker, once I had a good corner lifted, I was able to simply grab hold and peel (slowly), and everything came off nice and clean. Also like an old stick, not always getting it all with one peel, I got off as much as I could (that's what she said), and had to repeat the process with the blade to start somewhere else to continue, or re-submerge the jersey if an area wasn't fully exposed to the acetone (it acts like gas and dissipates quite quickly, so you may need to add more/re-submerge as you go). Anyways, the end result was a clean jersey, with no visual sign of the old numbers. The only reason I say 'visual' sign, is because where the numbers were, the material is definitely stiffer to the touch than elsewhere on the jersey. Almost as if there's a bit of insivible adhesive left in the material. But it's a far cry from having the numbers remaining.

**NOTE - wear gloves, wear a mask, and do it outside or in a highly ventilated area!!

**if you have a heat press, or even just an iron**

I've also heard of people doing this same process, but afterwards taking a towel (inside and out), or even just the sheets they use for in between iron-ons (whatever they're made of), and simply ironing the remaining residue out of the jersey.

Apply towel/paper, iron, remove, apply new towel/paper, and repeat until you get as much out as possible.

If you search t-shirt forums you'll find a lot of people tend to use acetone quite sucessfully, with no harm done to their garments/jerseys, and they also seem to refer to a solvent from Stahl's that works (just a few quick links, but I'm sure you can find a bunch more with a quick search) -

http://forums.screenprinters.net/viewthread/8/229318

http://boards.sports...showtopic=51483

http://www.t-shirtfo...ers/t40807.html

http://boards.sports...showtopic=64486

I would love to try this myself, but the jersey I just got also has sewn numbers and letters on top of the heat pressing so I would need somebody else to do this for me.

I would love to try this myself, but the jersey I just got also has sewn numbers and letters on top of the heat pressing so I would need somebody else to do this for me.

? Sounds like the jersey is already messed, and you've got nothing to lose. Show me some pics and maybe I can guide you...

I actually just bought it off of E-Bay. It's a blue Pro Player Rangers jersey that had Stemkowski sewn on to it of all people... I haven't taken my own pictures yet, but here's the listing. It said it was sewn, and it was buy it now for a price cheaper than I'd probably have to pay to get a blank so I jumped on it, and he doesn't take returns. I sent him a message asking if he'd take it back anyway and I'm waiting to hear from him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300556174997&si=sTa84PxvmQax2vN5HUxNPwej8GM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I actually just bought it off of E-Bay. It's a blue Pro Player Rangers jersey that had Stemkowski sewn on to it of all people... I haven't taken my own pictures yet, but here's the listing. It said it was sewn, and it was buy it now for a price cheaper than I'd probably have to pay to get a blank so I jumped on it, and he doesn't take returns. I sent him a message asking if he'd take it back anyway and I'm waiting to hear from him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Heat pressed numbers, and sewn numbers that are heat pressed into place are two different things.

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE METHOD ON TWILL NUMBERS!!! You don't need it.

While it may not end up doing any damage to the jersey, it most likely won't help much either...

Heat pressed numbers are normally of a ruberized material (vinyl) that gets pressed directly into the fabric of the jersey, so you're trying to break the bond, and seperate the two (not easy).

ACETONE is a necessity to dissolve and then seperate the ruber/plastic (vinyl) from the jersey material.

Whereas twill numbers are normally heat pressed on using a light adhesive, and then sewn into place. In this case, you simply need to remove the stitching, and CAREFULLY try and remove the numbers without pulling on the fabric of the jersey, creating 'pulls' (easy/moderate/hard, depending on age/how much adhesive was used).

On any jersey there can/will be some glue residue remaining, but that's nothing too major. Once the twill is all removed, you can use other solvents to remove any glue residue. I've heard some people speak badly of goof-off (maybe only the orignal??), but I've always (only) used Goof-off 2, and I've never damaged a jersey, and I've never had any problems getting glue residue out.

That being said, you can strip twill fairly easily, and remove adhesive moderately easily, but getting rid of a colour change due to the customization is a differnent story.

What you want to look for before buying, and then considering stripping a jersey, is buying a white vs dark jersey.

On white jerseys that features dark numbers (eg - Detroit white with red numbers) there can be colour bleed, and permanent staining. Even if you can strip the numbers clean, and get all the glue residue off, there's a good chance there will be a pink outline permanently remaining from the old numbers.

On the Rangers jersey you've purchasing, this wont' be a problem, and you should be able to strip it completely clean.

Grab a seam ripper (any dedicated collector should have one) -

2378007890105778501S200x200Q85.jpg

remove the stitching, remove the numbers, and if you choose to grab some solvent and proceed, remove the residue.

If you don't want to tackle the project yourself, you can send the jersey to EPS and pay $50+ to have it stripped/cleaned, and then extra to have it re-customized,

OR

you can take the time to take out all the stitching, remove as much as possible (even if there's some glue residue left), and then send it to EPS to finish the cleaning for around $20, and then have it re-customized.

Choice is yours.

FYI - the seller you bought the jersey from (bowtiepipeman/John) is a really good guy, and a straight shooter. If you're fair with him, he'll be fair with you.

I'm sure he is. And I said to him in the e-mail that I bought it at like 2 AM cause I was afraid somebody else was scooped up and I was only going by the listing. As for the jersey, I hear what you're saying, but most jerseys I have that are sewn I can pull the jersey away from the numbers from the inside, and this jersey I can't do that...

I'm sure he is. And I said to him in the e-mail that I bought it at like 2 AM cause I was afraid somebody else was scooped up and I was only going by the listing. As for the jersey, I hear what you're saying, but most jerseys I have that are sewn I can pull the jersey away from the numbers from the inside, and this jersey I can't do that...

Meh, most jerseys you get (if they're done properly) you won't be able to pull the numbers away, but that doesn't mean they won't be easy to strip.

• 3 months later...

I have two rbk premiers that have the nhl shop heat pressed numbers. How bad would it be to put sewn numbers right over the heat pressed numbers? Consider that I'd be keep the same player name and number. Would the sewn name and numbers cover what's existing. Would there be any noticeable issues from the outside?