Hockey Metal

slime

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No pics only because the musicians are so ###### obscure, but Matt Laporte and Shane French out of the Tampa area are/were/might still be guitarists involved in some incarnation or another of bands that stemmed from Savatage, whether it was Circle II Circle or Jon Oliva's Pain (horrid name, but what're we gonna do?). They only played small clubs and Europe, but both Matt & Shane were frequently seen on stage wearing jerseys (especially the old Mighty Ducks sweaters).

And to add another log onto the fire: radio play/Billboard charting does not a "good" band make. Otherwise, I'd not hate Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, and Nirvana to the core of my being. SOAD was the most unique and creative band to come out of the new/nu-metal explosion of the late '90s (and when the drek at the time consisted of the aforementioned whine-core bands, even Korn was refreshing). Of course it wasn't of the Metallica/Megadeth/Testament Bay Area Thrash genre -- that stuff fell out of favor once the '80s ended. SOAD was more musically diverse and subtle in their construction and arrangement, and in a way defined what prog-metal was supposed to be (after it became nothing more than jazz-influenced keyboard-driven operatic rock with tenor singers...aka Dream Theater clones): progressive.

Never mind that Daron's grammar in song-writing sucked and the last SOAD album was pretty much System of a Daron, which contributed to the band effectively splitting up and Serj releasing his solor album...which was even MORE musically odd, if that's possible.

Progress beyond the norm, the accepted, the standard.

And when I mentioned that SOAD was the definition of prog-metal for the 21st century, a whole bunch of my metal cohorts wanted to string me up for such blasphemy....except one guy, who was actually an accomplished musician with a diverse range and expertise, but was still a metalhead at heart. Once he and I discussed why we thought that way, that was when I knew that most of my metal brothers & sisters were stuck in the '80s and would probably never emerge.

• 7 months later...

Two of my favorite things together. Kiss and the Edmonton Oilers.

You where made for loving Kiss and Edmonton baby!

:lol:

Surprised no one said Megadeth (if you did, sorry, I searched the topic).

megadethwithflyersjerse.jpg

Sorry I'm late with my comment but that's not Megadeth. That's Dave Mustaine with a bunch of other musicians. I miss Friedman in the band.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a rock musician but he sure loves his Ducks.

nhl_g_snoop_275.jpg

What a quacker!

How bout some "old school" rock for the youngsters....

This band ROCKED! It looks as if the guitarist cut the sleeves down on a Blue's jersey. I guess I'm getting OLD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibFv_8LuuA0&feature=related

Now this is music. Most of the other stuff posted in this thread I've never heard, and I've been playing guitar for 40 years now.

Heh...nice. You have to give him that first album though. Doggystyle is still a classic. Back when rap was still decent.

Doggystyle and Tha Doggfather, we'll cap it off at those two.

I see rappers! CAN I GET A WU-TANG?!? Big time rangers fan's

The Rza. The Razor-sharp.

rzarangers.jpg

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN! (Y2K PATCH)

tumblr_lx7g8kBAm81r4u912o1_500.png

Ghostface Killa! ALWAYS the best dressed in the group. I'll bet anyone that the bird is %100 gold. (Also a VERY nice Canada jersey style indeed!) :thumbsup:

ghostface-canada-reppin.png

knowing how Ghostface rolls. That jersey is probably game used authentic.

• 2 months later...

This topic has been asleep for some time now and I will give it some life:

sigpic182_2.gif

I'd swear that picture looks like it was taken around the mid-80's, but how do you explain DLR's shirt, or even the logo on the bass drum?