Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slimcutta

How to TACKLE STAINS ON A WHITE JERSEY

155 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Tide pen is a good place to start. But don't fear the washing machine; they are designed to be washed. 

I've used a tide pen before but what steps do u take when it comes to a jersey? 

Use the tide pen on the jersey dry and then rise off that area? 

Do you rub back and forth with the tide pen when you're using it or do you just push down to get the fluid out then use jersey on jersey to rub? 

I use it just like it's intended, release the detergent and then rub it on the stain with the pen. 

I don't rinse it after, I wash it completely. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I use it just like it's intended, release the detergent and then rub it on the stain with the pen. 

I don't rinse it after, I wash it completely. 

When you wash it after do you put in detergent?

Do you think tide pen's effects only works after you've put it in the wash or does the stain disappear while you're already using the pen on the stain? Im thinking of using a tide pen on the area and then soaking and rinsing in cold water. Thoughts? Just want to get all the details before I start work on it. 

Edited by rattlestar

Depends totally on the stain, but the Tide pen is kind of designed to work on its own, you don't necessarily have to rinse it at all. But I don't like the smell of it at all. 

I use it as a spot treatment to help with the stain, sometimes it works, other times no. But then I will still wash it, I wash every jersey I get.

And yes, I wash it with detergent, cold water, low spin. Never had a jersey harmed by washing it. After all, the teams wash them with detergent also. 

I just wanted to add in my experience on here. 

I picked up a few jerseys that turned out to have several yellow stains similar to this on the https://ibb.co/k2i71F . One also had red (old ketchup?) looking stains. 

I didn't know what kind of stains they were or how long they had been there. I assumed it was older because of the age of the jerseys. Jerseys were both ultrafil and airknit. 

Like mfitz804 had recommended above I started with the tide pen which actually removed 90% of the stains. One thing to be aware of is that if you over pump the pen in the same area it can leave a circular white spot that would need rinsing to remove afterwards. So always have a cold tub of water with a pinch of detergent ready at all times (as advised by slimcutta). You do not need to rinse the jersey if it was just a quick touch up. I can confirm this. I only had to rinse one of the four jerseys because of the white spot that developed around the stain from me going crazy on the pen pump first time around.

After the tide pen, whatever I couldn't remove I managed to fix with dish deteregent and that did the trick.

Edited by rattlestar