2012 Winter Classic discussion

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flyers are getting another outdoor game already?! That would mean that Montreal, Pittsburgh and now Philadelphia will have each played in 2 outdoor games while so many teams have yet to play in 1.

I wouldn't be so upset but I want to see Ottawa play in one.

As for the Flyers jerseys, I seen this on Icethentics and thought it looked pretty good,

0521-ryanhaslett-wc2012.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1305998428289

Similar to the other photoshopped manip posted already.

I'd rather have the Rangers one with the shield than that one. Its just a white version of the Third jersey they have now. ORIGINAL THOUGHTS PEOPLE.

Yeah, that's essentially copying what the Flyers did in Boston. Just reversing their 'vintage' 3rd jersey. Booooo. I want the royal blue arch. If they make the orange light enough, nobody will have ANY problems differentiating between either club on the ice.

I'd rather have the Rangers one with the shield than that one. Its just a white version of the Third jersey they have now. ORIGINAL THOUGHTS PEOPLE.

Aside from the 70's shield version, the Rangers don't really have a throwback white to go with. I don't see them going with the white Liberty jerseys as those are too modern looking. I think they will construct something that's faux-vintage, probably with "NEW YORK" instead of "RANGERS" which I why I think the IceThetics concept won't be too far off.

I want the royal blue arch.

I say save that for when the Rangers host a WC in a couple of years.

I have a feeling they will use the striping on the current away uniform, but put the logo like the Vintage uniform. There really isn't much else to draw on from the Rangers that hasn't already been done unless they create a white version of the arch or bring back the white liberty (which, IMO, was far better than the navy).

For the Flyers, I don't think anything else except the Quakers jersey would make sense.

I think because it's more of a money making venture creating WC jerseys than a tradition thing, I expect both teams to construct something totally new to get more $$ from the fans.

I think several of the posts above hit the nail on the head as to what the Flyers WC jersey will be. So they used the white version of their mid-1970s jersey as their 2010 WC. After using that, I honestly cannot see them using another jersey from the past because their uniform has not changed very much since 1967 - both the design and color scheme. I doubt we will see a recreated version of the orange jersey. Plus that would not make sense because that is their current home. I also don't believe they would use a black jersey for the WC because they just retired that one. IMO it would not make sense to bring it back.

I do like the idea presented above with the Flyers using the old Philadelphia Quakers orange jersey with the black stripes. But can they do that? I don't know what the rights are when it comes to something like this. Obviously the Flyers and Quakers are NOT the same franchise. But I REALLY like that jersey icethetics came up with. I'd buy that in a heart beat. :) I would have to believe that design would be the front runner.

As for the Rangers, I'm not a big fan of the icethetics white jersey, which is just the white version of their current alternates. IMO if you are going to put an Original Six team in the WC, you at least have to make them use a vintage jersey, right? Boston, Chicago, and Detroit went way back and brought back some nice styles for their WC jerseys. So I would expect the Rangers to do the same.

Even though one team is supposed to wear dark and the other white, I think the league should let NY use a blue sweater such as this one from the 1920s. Well maybe not that EXACT one, but you guys get the idea:

Rangers01.png

OR they bring back this one:

Rangers24.png

Not sure how much the Ranger fans on here dislike that one, but if they are going to go with a white jersey IMO, they might as well go with that one.

Any thoughts?

I actually would not buy a Rangers WC jersey if it looked like any of these concepts, especially the white one that's just the reverse of the current third. Take that concept, put "RANGERS" in block lettering like the TBTC jerseys, give it a straight nameplate and do something creative with the numbers and I'll probably buy one. I wouldn't mind seeing what would essentially be a white version of the TBTC jerseys from '91.

I think because it's more of a money making venture creating WC jerseys than a tradition thing, I expect both teams to construct something totally new to get more $$ from the fans.

Yeah, I think you're right. I dont see the Flyers just wearing todays jersey and hitting the ice in the old "cooper-all" pants.

im just disappointed that the flyers are already going to be in it again. Seriously Cant we find another market to put in the game. I dont have a problem with the team and i dont have a problem with them going again, just not a 2 years removed from the first one. Atleast penguins had 3 years in between and that was pushing it. Im all for the Rangers but im ready for them to branch out more.

Jerseys anyway, I dont have any idea for a flyers jersey. I like the Rangers crest jerseys and like the idea of the Liberty jersey again.

I agree with you canescop. NHL loves the flyers because of their huge run last year and their very dominate season this year (but subsequent failure) I was really hoping they would do a Rangers Devs/Islanders in the new Medowlands. Its almost disrespectful to other teams that have not had a shot. Get the freaking Leafs involved in one before the lame pens or flyers again. Weak

I bet the rangers wear their current anniversary sweaters

It almost seems to me that the little dictator (Bettman ) has struck a agreement with teams or City;s that play in the winter Classic, that they will get two games if so Buffalo should be back up soon maybe with Washington or a New York/ New York Game next year . It works well for me as I am a Flyers Fan I do not buy replicas so I will have to find a place to bid for a game issued or used .

I keep saying this....there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that Bettman will EVER bring a Canadian team into the Winter Classic. Canada does nothing for ratings in the United States and that is ALL that they care about. You'll see Lightning-Panthers before you see Maple Leafs-Rangers.

I was saying Sabers /Rangers I agree no Canadaian team will be there for the Jan 1 games maybe two Canadain teams will do what Habs / Oilers did

I was saying Sabers /Rangers I agree no Canadaian team will be there for the Jan 1 games maybe two Canadain teams will do what Habs / Oilers did

Mike is right. Canadian based NHL teams will not participate in the WC. That is what the Heritage Classic is for, right? Canadian teams to play one another.

There's no 2 ways about this, the game is obviously about $. The NHL and Gary Bettman will do whatever it takes to draw the BEST tv ratings possible and generate the MOST $ from the game. That is why Pittsburgh played in its 2nd WC last season! Because Bettman wanted Crosby vs. Ovechkin. That was clearly the match up that satisfied the NHL.

For some reason he believes the Rangers/Flyers is the best matchup for 2012. But like I said, it's all about $, not what the fans want or making it fair for all 30 teams. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Mike is right. Canadian based NHL teams will not participate in the WC. That is what the Heritage Classic is for, right? Canadian teams to play one another.

There's no 2 ways about this, the game is obviously about $. The NHL and Gary Bettman will do whatever it takes to draw the BEST tv ratings possible and generate the MOST $ from the game. That is why Pittsburgh played in its 2nd WC last season! Because Bettman wanted Crosby vs. Ovechkin. That was clearly the match up that satisfied the NHL.

For some reason he believes the Rangers/Flyers is the best matchup for 2012. But like I said, it's all about $, not what the fans want or making it fair for all 30 teams. :rolleyes:

Now that the Rangers might not be in the WC, AND they have just announced that the Heritage Classic is canceled this year, it possibly opens up a spot for a Canadian team in the WC

I still doubt a Canadian team, but I will be extremely disappointed if its the Blackhawks, as it is so rumored now. Simply because the Blackhawks are preliminarily scheduled for an Eastern trip over the holidays...

That wouldn't interest me one bit, I'd rather the Devils at that point, give me a division rival, or hell even a rematch with the Bruins wouldn't be awful...

Now that the Rangers might not be in the WC, AND they have just announced that the Heritage Classic is canceled this year, it possibly opens up a spot for a Canadian team in the WC

If anything the NHL will keep the Rangers as the visitor. It's just NOT possible for a New York team to host the WC due to the complications with their stadiums. So the only way I can see the Rangers playing is as the visitor. Though I think if the league were to choose a Canadian based team, IMO Montreal would not be a bad choice. The Flyers and Canadiens have a history against one another, particularly in the playoffs. The Leafs also wouldn't be bad either IMO.

If anything the NHL will keep the Rangers as the visitor. It's just NOT possible for a New York team to host the WC due to the complications with their stadiums. So the only way I can see the Rangers playing is as the visitor. Though I think if the league were to choose a Canadian based team, IMO Montreal would not be a bad choice. The Flyers and Canadiens have a history against one another, particularly in the playoffs. The Leafs also wouldn't be bad either IMO.

I agree about the Canadian teams, although I would prefer a Flyers/Leafs. Ideally I would still like the Rangers to be the Flyers opponents, rivalries are important with these events. To bad the Pens were in it last year. I thought for sure the next Flyers WC would be against the Pens

I think if you went Hawks/Canadians or probably any of the original 6 you'd end up with a Classic that would have pretty good appeal through Canada and the states.