2012 Winter Classic discussion

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Leafs/MLSE will never ever ever agree to be part of a winter/heritage classic unless they are hosting it.

According to the NY Times it was confirmed by a league official that it will be the Rangers and Flyers in Philly. It will be announced when the league releases the schedule, which could be as soon as today.

0622-wc12-dcvisualarts.jpg

Obviously the photo is a fake - it shows Sean Avery in a Rangers jersey which implies he'll not be a healthy scratch all next year.

Obviously the photo is a fake - it shows Sean Avery in a Rangers jersey which implies he'll not be a healthy scratch all next year.

Not to mention that other guy got traded...lol

Not to mention that other guy got traded...lol

You keep up with the Flyers? Honestly all I know about the Flyers is they have Pronger and that one Keebler-elf lookin dude.

A white version of the heritage jersey would be sweet. The only thing with that is they would probably put the patch on the shoulder like just about every rangers jersey with a patch if something to those lines were made.

God I hate the white version of the Heritage jersey. I write for the site and will probably talk to Eric about doing another post on it. I love love love the white version of the 1946 jersey. I just wish the names weren't on it. I'd buy like 100 of them if I had the money.

I just hate having the vintage white as a base.

God I hate the white version of the Heritage jersey. I write for the site and will probably talk to Eric about doing another post on it. I love love love the white version of the 1946 jersey. I just wish the names weren't on it. I'd buy like 100 of them if I had the money.

I just hate having the vintage white as a base.

Wouldn't you rather have the blue 1946 jersey for when the Rangers host a Winter Classic?

Wouldn't you rather have the blue 1946 jersey for when the Rangers host a Winter Classic?

The Rangers will NEVER host a Classic. Unless they do it in Citi field. Yankee stadium hosts college football games then. New Meadowlands stadium has TWO NFL teams so every week there's a home game. So no NY Game any anytime soon.

The Rangers will NEVER host a Classic. Unless they do it in Citi field. Yankee stadium hosts college football games then. New Meadowlands stadium has TWO NFL teams so every week there's a home game. So no NY Game any anytime soon.

Only way the game would be at the new Stadium is if the contract for the Pinstripe Bowl is NOT renewed. Because like you point out about the Meadowlands Stadium, and the fact Citi Field said it would not host the game. So based on that IMO the new Yankee Stadium is the only way to go. And honestly, if NY would really want to host they would do everything they can to do so. But I agree, not for at least another 5 years.

XC you kill me with your over the top declarations (see Redden, Wade).

The league wants to have a Winter Classic in New York with the Rangers because it'd be a huge draw and I don't see why they won't keep trying. The Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium is only contractually set through 2014. Citi field may eventually be an option. Heck the idea of them putting up bleachers in Central Park still sounds more plausible to me than saying the Rangers will NEVER host a WC.

I will try to be honest as possible here. There is no way NY gets a WC before 2014. By that time, the Isles will probably be the better NY team by far, unless something happens to Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, AMac, de Haan, Hamonic, Grabner etc. If this is the case, where the Isles will be contending for the Cup while the rangers are struggling to make the playoffs, there is no way the rangers will be the host team.

I will try to be honest as possible here. There is no way NY gets a WC before 2014. By that time, the Isles will probably be the better NY team by far, unless something happens to Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, AMac, de Haan, Hamonic, Grabner etc. If this is the case, where the Isles will be contending for the Cup while the rangers are struggling to make the playoffs, there is no way the rangers will be the host team.

I agree with you on the 2014 date. The rest well, it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

The Islanders are improving through drafting. I think that's good as I think it helps the Rangers / Islanders rivalry. But saying that the Isles will definitely be a contender in a couple years, well that's as silly as signing an injury-prone goalie to a 15-year contract. :lol:

Seriously though, the WC isn't about contenders as much as it's about ratings. Like it or not, some teams in the NHL are a bigger national draw than others. The Rangers are ahead of the Islanders in national TV ratings, this isn't an opinion it's a fact. The Isles improving their team will help, but unless they can find the next Crosby or Ovechkin, they'll still lag behind.

You funny guy, you. The Rangers will (hopefully - otherwise screw Sather. Hard. Without lube) have Callahan and Dubinsky locked up on 8 year deals each, they have Lundqvist, Staal isn't going anywhere any time soon, Stepan is part of the future. Guys like Kreider, Kolarik and McIlrath are all part of the future. AND as of right now, we're the front runners for Richards. You're high if you think the Islanders are going to be contending while the Rangers are "struggling" to make the playoffs. By 2014 we're going to have a ridiculous team, and like Akteon said - we're a higher ratings draw than the Islanders. The only way the Islanders compete with the Rangers as far as ratings go is if they pack up and move to a market where they've never seen hockey before, and that's not happening until at least 2015 and only if Nassau Country doesn't approve the new arena.

Not to derail any further, but man, if you think the Rangers' future is any brighter than what you saw this year, you're high.

Not to derail any further, but man, if you think the Rangers' future is any brighter than what you saw this year, you're high.

Haha, yeah probably. But it's nice to take shots at the Isles fans once in a while :D

Dropkick: Without Lundqvist the rangers miss the playoffs. There is no argument here. On the last game of the season the rangers clinched their spot...Yeah, I call that struggling to make the playoffs. I never said the Isles will contend for the Cup next year...I said by 2014. I am not going to sit here and argue with you over whose prospects/team will be better because the Islanders farm is obviously better (I can't believe you even included McIlrath...really? You think he is going to be a difference maker? The ranger fans that I know were extremely upset with that pick.). I refuse to talk about prospects unless you are aware of the Isles' prospects as well as the rangers'. Richards isn't a ranger yet (I still think he ends up in TB). Quick question...how many 30 goal scorers did the rangers have this season? Thats right...none. The Isles had Grabner and Moulson, while JT had 29.

The rangers do the same thing year in and year out. They will never win the division again.

Akteon, I hate to break it to you, but the next generation of players the NHL will market includes John Tavares and Steven Stamkos. I think the NHL will try to market Tavares more than Lundqvist in the coming years. It is easier to market a scorer than a goalie. I agree, the DiPietro extension was a terrible idea (but $4.5 mil for an all star goalie is a steal, but unfortunately it didn't work out). I am following Chicago's path to the Cup and I firmly believe the Isles can mimic that in a couple of years. The Isles are a solid vet signing, top-4 dman, and Dipetro away from making the playoffs.

You guys only pick on the Isles because you are insecure about your inner-feelings :lol:

Thanks Brilliant!...at least you realize the truth :thumbsup:

Edited by NYIJM29

Dropkick: Without Lundqvist the rangers miss the playoffs. There is no argument here. On the last game of the season the rangers clinched their spot...Yeah, I call that struggling to make the playoffs. I never said the Isles will contend for the Cup next year...I said by 2014. I am not going to sit here and argue with you over whose prospects/team will be better because the Islanders farm is obviously better (I can't believe you even included McIlrath...really? You think he is going to be a difference maker? The ranger fans that I know were extremely upset with that pick.). I refuse to talk about prospects unless you are aware of the Isles' prospects as well as the rangers'. Richards isn't a ranger yet (I still think he ends up in TB). Quick question...how many 30 goal scorers did the rangers have this season? Thats right...none. The Isles had Grabner and Moulson, while JT had 29.

The rangers do the same thing year in and year out. They will never win the division again.

Akteon, I hate to break it to you, but the next generation of players the NHL will market includes John Tavares and Steven Stamkos. I think the NHL will try to market Tavares more than Lundqvist in the coming years. It is easier to market a scorer than a goalie. I agree, the DiPietro extension was a terrible idea (but $4.5 mil for an all star goalie is a steal, but unfortunately it didn't work out). I am following Chicago's path to the Cup and I firmly believe the Isles can mimic that in a couple of years. The Isles are a solid vet signing, top-4 dman, and Dipetro away from making the playoffs.

You guys only pick on the Isles because you are insecure about your inner-feelings :lol:

Thanks Brilliant!...at least you realize the truth :thumbsup:

You also have to realize the NHL will not seriously market Taveras until the Isles become a GOOD team. Did the NHL market Crosby and Ovechkin during their 1st seasons? No. Because the Penguins and Capitals each lost over 40 games in regulation. Since then, each team has made the playoffs and the Penguins won a Cup. So IMO until the Isles are close to Cup contenders Taveras will not get much media attention. Now how much do you think the NHL likes Stamkos that the Lightning went to the ECF?

Why can't anyone read the freaking post? When did I say they would be serious contenders? By 2014...5 years (I guess 4 seasons) after Tavares' draft year. When did Chicago win the Cup? 3 years after Kane's draft. When did Pittsburgh win the Cup? 4 years after Crosby's selection. Tavares is going to enter his third season this year. I fully expect the Isles to be a competitive team next season, that is if Rick DiPiero puts up or shuts up and if Garth can make one (hopefully two) impact signings (Brooks Laich/J.Jokinen/S.Gagne and a top-4 dman). This draft for the Isles was also pretty impressive. Strome, Andrei Pedan, and Scott Mayfield are all extremely solid pickups and have a great chance of having a significant impact in the NHL (probably 2-3 seasons away). The Isles will be a superb, exciting team by then. I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles will host a WC ahead of the rangers, that is, if the Isles' play proves it.

Stamkos is on the cover of NHL 12, obviously the NHL loves the fact he went to the ECF, but it is kinda hard to ignore his numbers. He tied Sidney Crosby with 51 goals in his sophomore season. It was only a matter of time. Same goes for JT. But you are right, JT will get more attention once the Isles become relevant again.

I think Tampa Bay would also be a nice team to have in the WC. They are exciting to watch.

Akteon, I hate to break it to you, but the next generation of players the NHL will market includes John Tavares and Steven Stamkos. I think the NHL will try to market Tavares more than Lundqvist in the coming years. It is easier to market a scorer than a goalie.

I never said anything about Lundqvist. I don't think the league is marketing him at all, nor do I think they should. I also agree with Brilliant's view of the Rangers future not being all that bright. I'm saying being a contender or not or getting into the playoffs doesn't matter as much on the national scale when it comes to ratings. There are people who the Winter Classic is the only hockey game they watch all year.

I don't hate the Islanders - the only team I hate is the Flyers. But even then I give them credit for their success (when they have it). I'm not knocking the Isles, I'm just saying they don't bring in a national television audience like the Rangers do and that is what is most important to the league with the WC. The Rangers are an original 6 team, like it or not they have way more out of market fans than the Isles do.

Fair enough, but all I am saying is the Isles could be shoved down our throats the same way Pittsburgh, Philly, and Washington have been when the Isles turn things around. A lot changes in 3 years (hopefully in these 3 years Koskinen/Poulin will take the number 1 away from DiPietro). Very few teams have a history that the Isles have.

For the record, I don't think the Flyers are shoved down our throats like the Pens/Caps. Gary Bettman and the NHL begrudgingly agree to let us play in the game because of NBC's input.

And I really think the NYI/NYR argument is moot, as the TV ratings for the NYR will always be superior to the NYI, which leads to more interest in them in the WC. I am not saying I would mind seeing the Islanders and Rangers play, but to think that the NHL/NBC would make the Isles the focal point is laughable. But to lend my 2 cents to the argument at hand, I definitely see a brighter future for the Scouts...I mean Islanders if they can ever get a ###### arena built...

(I can't believe you even included McIlrath...really? You think he is going to be a difference maker? The ranger fans that I know were extremely upset with that pick.)

I wanted Fowler, just like everyone else. The problem with that is, Sather is a moron and left him on the board for McIlrath. Now that we have him, he's either going to contribute or he's going to wind up like Grachev, traded for a pick to use on someone who hopefully will contribute. Here's a question - What are you going to do in the event that the Isles Do become contenders, and Tavares and Grabner want Crosby money and it handicaps them from picking up anyone of any significance?

As much as I'm a Rangers diehard, they prove year in and year out that you can't win a cup with one superstar and two solid players (in the case of the Isles, I think Grabner is going to be more of a star than Tavares. JT hasn't shown it yet and Grabner scored out the Arse last season as a rookie). The Rangers have Gaborik who's a top player when he's not hurt, and they'll have Callahan and Dubinsky, two solid players. Same situation as the Isles, except that currently we have the pieces to at least make the playoffs. You can't tell me that when your top guys start looking for top dollars, the Isles won't be handicapped into the same situation the Rangers are in. You also forget you're paying DiPietro an absurd amount of money to essentially sit at home all season because he's always hurt. Look at who we're paying - Chris Drury, to get hurt and not contribute. As far as Richards, Tampa has to clear cap space to sign him and who can they move? I don't see him going back there when he liked playing for Torts, and Torts is here.