2012 Winter Classic discussion

JohnnyOnTheSpot

Just remember this...by the middle of the decade, the Islanders should have Jason Gregoire, Brock Nelson, and possibly David Toews on the roster. The Rangers will likely have JT Miller by then as well. Either works for me.

Go Sioux! :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember this...by the middle of the decade, the Islanders should have Jason Gregoire, Brock Nelson, and possibly David Toews on the roster. The Rangers will likely have JT Miller by then as well. Either works for me.

Go Sioux! :D

Yeah, but it's just silly of him to say that they're going to have such superstars on the team 5 years down the road because in the age of the salary cap, it's just not plausible. When Tavares starts asking for Ovechkin dollars and Grabner is getting paid like Crosby, who else are they going to be able to pay? They're already handicapped with a bad contract in DiPietro, so that limits the amount of money they can commit to keeping their current players long term AND bring in the pieces needed to not only contend but actually win the cup. In the next 5 years Tavares is going to be one of the highest paid players in the league. As long as there's nobody going to games and no revenue from ticket sales, they can't afford to pay the guys they consider to be part of their future and as long as they're cellar dwellers, nobody is going to games.

I really didn't want to continue this discussion because you are wrong beyond belief when you are trying to talk about the Isles and it is off topic, but whatever. I agree, that at this point in time there are more people willing to watch the rangers than Islanders and if there is a WC in NY, the Isles should not be a part of it yet. But in the future, when a WC is plausible in NY, don't be shocked if the NYI are involved. Believe me, I understand market demographics/business/finances, but I digress. Grabner and Okposo are both signed for 5 years (2015-2016 is their last season at a $3 mil cap hit for Grabner and $2.8 mil for Okposo). Also, Yashin's buyout (this past season it was $4 mil) is going down to $2.2 million until 2014-2015, then it is off the books. Tavares will max out at around $7 million (unless Sather or Burke gives an offer sheet) and don't forget that JT's next contract will be under the current CBA I think, which would still allow for cap hit circumvating (I think...look at what NJ did with Kovie's contract). If not, JT's next contract will probably be for 3-5 years at $5-6 mil/yr. There will still be money to sign JT and the core. I am actually worried about Frans Nielsen's next contract. Ryan Strome and Nino Niederreiter will also be producing at a decent rate, due to their age (they will still be RFAs so they can be qualified which would protect them from being giving an opportunity to be UFAs). I also fully hope/expect the DiPietro situation will be solved by 2015. In 2015, the Isles will have more marketable players than the rangers and likely more playoff wins.

This will be my last post about potential WCs involving NY teams in NY. This is the 2012 WC JERSEY GUESSES thread. If anyone would like to discuss this matter, please feel free to start a new thread.

• 1 month later...

I present to you, the Rangers WC 2012 jersey ...

7829_P_1311926235869.jpg

Personally I love the stars on the wrists :lol:

I present to you, the Rangers WC 2012 jersey ...

7829_P_1311926235869.jpg

Personally I love the stars on the wrists :lol:

As funny as that is, lose the stars on the wrists and change the crest to a wordmark and the bootleggers might be onto something. With a little work I'd totally buy something like that (a legit one of course)

Its alright. At least it has a logo! That said, highly unlikely that is it.

Yeah that picture of the bootleg Messier is circulating on Twitter quite a bit, there's no way that's the actual jersey. I'm sure I saw a concept poster drawn up by someone over at IceThetics a while back with that jersey on it. Now all the bootleggers are proceeding to knock off a jersey that's nothing more than a concept by a blog reader.

Also, I saw the most recent post and I was like "who the hell is JMOOSE29" - Thanks for confusing me :thumbsup:

Yeah that picture of the bootleg Messier is circulating on Twitter quite a bit, there's no way that's the actual jersey. I'm sure I saw a concept poster drawn up by someone over at IceThetics a while back with that jersey on it. Now all the bootleggers are proceeding to knock off a jersey that's nothing more than a concept by a blog reader.

Also, I saw the most recent post and I was like "who the hell is JMOOSE29" - Thanks for confusing me :thumbsup:

I think its hysterical that the counterfeiters have jerseys for both teams already designed and being produced. I seriously cannot believe people will buy them. If they don't see it for sale on NHL.com, don't you think it should raise a red flag? The NHL/Reebok really need to step it up and produce a superior jersey at a better price.

Haha! No problem! I am probably going to go back to NYIJM29 at the end of August.

I think its hysterical that the counterfeiters have jerseys for both teams already designed and being produced. I seriously cannot believe people will buy them. If they don't see it for sale on NHL.com, don't you think it should raise a red flag? The NHL/Reebok really need to step it up and produce a superior jersey at a better price.

Haha! No problem! I am probably going to go back to NYIJM29 at the end of August.

The NHL and Reebok don't care. Hockey isn't a marketable brand outside of Canada and a few select US cities, so why should the NHL force Reebok to make better jerseys at lower prices, and why should Reebok do it willingly? Do you really think Bettman cares if the entire world is walking around with 40 dollar knockoffs as long as it promotes the brand and maybe gets someone else interested in the sport?

I think it's a joke that concepts are being knocked off (how long before the Chinese catch on and start replacing the vector with the wordmark?) and that people are actually trying to sell them as legitimate jerseys. The sad part is, someone's going to buy them and I'm going to see them all over MSG this winter. I can't wait to call someone out on wearing a bootleg of a concept jersey, only to have them tell me something like "I paid 200 dollars for this, it's real. Don't be jealous"

Edit: Here's the concept poster I was talking about:

224766_200982049944290_172692862773209_517909_7975368_n.jpg

Similar, but not quite the same as the fake. I wonder where the bootleggers got that design from.

that flyers design is doo-doo. There's Jagr ones like that on ebay and its hilarious. The Rangers one isnt better and it looks like that design the sleeve numbers are 3 color to boot (White Liberty original 3 color).

that flyers design is doo-doo. There's Jagr ones like that on ebay and its hilarious. The Rangers one isnt better and it looks like that design the sleeve numbers are 3 color to boot (White Liberty original 3 color).

I'm not a big fan of that Rangers design above, either. I think the Flyers one is logical (if they in fact do go with that one) because honestly, their uniforms have not drastically changed since 1967. The only other jersey I could see them recreating for this game is an orange one from the 80s. Then again, it would not be much different than their current homes.

In the end I believe the Flyers will either go with the Philly Quakers design, or they will do something drastic, such as create a brand new jersey, with different striping patterns, shoulder patches, etc. The suspense for the release of these unis is killing me! :lol:

I'm not a big fan of that Rangers design above, either. I think the Flyers one is logical (if they in fact do go with that one) because honestly, their uniforms have not drastically changed since 1967. The only other jersey I could see them recreating for this game is an orange one from the 80s. Then again, it would not be much different than their current homes.

In the end I believe the Flyers will either go with the Philly Quakers design, or they will do something drastic, such as create a brand new jersey, with different striping patterns, shoulder patches, etc. The suspense for the release of these unis is killing me! :lol:

I need to start padding my wallet so I can get myself a Rangers WC when it hits the team store. Unfortunately I'll probably end up having to pay retail, because I won't find anything but bootlegs on eBay and the few real replicas will be priced above retail. I still haven't seen a legit Heritage jersey on eBay with a good price.

I need to start padding my wallet so I can get myself a Rangers WC when it hits the team store. Unfortunately I'll probably end up having to pay retail, because I won't find anything but bootlegs on eBay and the few real replicas will be priced above retail. I still haven't seen a legit Heritage jersey on eBay with a good price.

I got my Caps replica for $68 shipped from House of Hockey after the WC. I am sure you will be able to find a good deal on one.

I got my Caps replica for $68 shipped from House of Hockey after the WC. I am sure you will be able to find a good deal on one.

Heck, I saw a Flyers' Fenway WC a only a few weeks ago for $15.00. They seem to overproduce the jerseys OR overprice the merchandise at the venue, then there is a mass sell-off to all the discount stores after the season.

Heck, I saw a Flyers' Fenway WC a only a few weeks ago for $15.00. They seem to overproduce the jerseys OR overprice the merchandise at the venue, then there is a mass sell-off to all the discount stores after the season.

I got my Flyers for $25 shipped from eBay :lol:

Exactly. Everything is cheaper after the game. Best to wait for that merch.

I have a Richards, Pronger, and a blank, all purchased after the game for well under retail. I also hope they go with a Liberty Bell design which would make the current counterfeits even more redundantly wrong. I have heard rumors that the Flyers were originally leaning towards a Liberty Bell design, but the buzz surrounding the Quakers fakes/concepts has made them think a bit, so who knows.

I have a Richards, Pronger, and a blank, all purchased after the game for well under retail. I also hope they go with a Liberty Bell design which would make the current counterfeits even more redundantly wrong. I have heard rumors that the Flyers were originally leaning towards a Liberty Bell design, but the buzz surrounding the Quakers fakes/concepts has made them think a bit, so who knows.

If they go the route of a liberty bell design for the flyers then they should keep the theme and use the white liberty jersey for the Rangers.

• 1 month later...

Are they really announcing it at the PC? Ahhhhh aweswome. NHL Network has no sound for me but I'm watching the feed.