2011-12 NHL Jersey Changes

akteon

Updated 8/22

I know we've already had a page kicking around about the Islanders new alt jersey, and with the recent news about Nashville's new jerseys (see below) I figured it might be good to have one thread to talk about all of the 2011-12 NHL jersey changes instead of making a separate thread for each team.

All of most of this is taken from the IceThetics NHL JerseyWatch 2011 page - full credit to them.

Here's a new article from IceThetics: New Looks for a New Season

BUFFALO SABRES

Not really a change per se - they are just keeping their 40th Anny jersey as a permanent 3rd next season.

DALLAS STARS

A new 3rd/alternate jersey will be coming and it is rumored to be "be green with a nod to the past". Anything will be an improvement, but if done right this could be awesome. UPDATE: due to the ownership saga with the Stars, plans for a jersey change may be dropped.

EDMONTON OILERS

Getting a new road white sweater to hopefully match their once third now home classic blue and orange jersey. A move in the right direction IMHO.

0821-edm2011r.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313978327966

FLORIDA PANTHERS

New home and away jerseys with all indications being they will return to their red roots.

0821-fla2011h.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313978413958

LOS ANGELES KINGS

The black/silver alternate will become the new home, and the old home will become the alternate. A white away jersey presumably matching the black/silver home will be released. There are new rumors that the purple and gold will still be worn for a few games next season.

0821-lak2011r.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313978584962

NASHVILLE PREDATORS

New home and away jerseys and new logos/wordmarks.

0821-nsh2011h.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313978733684

0821-nsh2011r.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313978749301

NEW YORK ISLANDERS

As already discussed many times, a new mainly black 3rd jersey with grey shoulders is in the works.

0821-nyi2011a.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313980083798

NEW YORK RANGERS

The "heritage" 85th anniversary jersey will be a permanent 3rd, just sans the 85th patch. Also with the Rangers being in the Winter Classic, definitely expect a new jersey for that game. See the Winter Classic thread for ideas/concepts folks have had.

OTTAWA SENATORS

New 3rd jersey to replace the SENS monstrosity. It's been hinted that it will be a "heritage" style jersey. The "O" logo will be prominent based on some limited sneaks from the team as well as some sort of shield/logo patch.

0821-ott2011a.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313980229267

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Hosting the Winter Classic so they'll have a new jersey for the event. See the Winter Classic thread for ideas/concepts folks have had.

PHOENIX COYOTES

They're staying around at least one more year, but at one point there was talk of changing the name to the "Arizona Coyotes" which may cause a patch/jersey change. Nothing concrete though. UPDATE: the buyer who wanted the name change is out, so probably no jersey/name changes for the 'Yotes this coming season.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Adding a new third - more than likely their Winter Classic jersey from this past season sans the WC patch.

0821-pit2011a.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313980455205

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Already released by the team, home and away jerseys featuring a new logo and color scheme.

0821-tbl2011h.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313980579989

0821-tbl2011r.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313980595095

Edited by akteon

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Preds' Black and Blue 3rd is not being worn this season. Whether it's done for good or just for now is up in the air.

LOS ANGELES KINGS

The black/silver alternate will become the new home, and the old home will become the alternate. A white away jersey presumably matching the black/silver home will be released. I personally find it sad that the great purple and yellow jerseys won't be returning as a permanent third.

This is very disappointing news for me. The black and white jerseys are so boring and that "home plate" logo has got to go.

The is nothing "royal" about a monochrome color scheme.

Whomever is doing the marketing research for the Kings is really dropping the ball. From what I can gather there has been overwhelming

fan support for the purple jerseys. They are unique and really look sweet in an edge cut. The Kings need to stand out, not blend in with the masses. No imagination with the proposed new uniforms.

Sooooo, was the whole 'guitar pick' shape intentional or am I the first to notice it?

I didn't get the guitar pick thing until I read that's what it was. Also the stars from the Tennessee state flag just looks odd to me with those colors, took me a bit to realize what it was.

Frankly even now when I look at it, it makes me think more of a hard-boiled egg on a triangular plate than a guitar pick paying homage to the TN state flag.

Preds jerseys:

Predators-1.png

Actually the jersey is the same as what JackFr posted but there is Nashville working on the top right side.

0623-nsh-jerseysleaked.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1308875834424

Although this is probably a prototype because there is a vector on the jersey.

Is it me, or does it look like there is also some writing on the back of the collar? Check out the last pic on the right. I don;t hate it, it is nice a clean and it actually has stripes. I'm not too crazy about the nashville word mark on the shoulder though.

You know what I like about it? The loudness of the gold. COLOR. Something this league desperately needs more and more of. I've had it with this navy and black crap year after year.

You know what I like about it? The loudness of the gold. COLOR. Something this league desperately needs more and more of. I've had it with this navy and black crap year after year.

100% agreed

Is it me, or does it look like there is also some writing on the back of the collar? Check out the last pic on the right. I don;t hate it, it is nice a clean and it actually has stripes. I'm not too crazy about the nashville word mark on the shoulder though.

I noticed that too and it looks like the first letter is a N for Nashville, which seems very repetitive if its on the front too.

Nashville's jerseys look OKAY to me. Yellow/blue are fine color wise, but I am NOT a fan of the yellow on the white one in areas other than the striping. Looks like the designers got a little too "cute" with the white jersey IMO.

I'm kinda surprised by the yellow home jersey. Just seems too light for a "dark" jersey. Shocked the league let them go with that.

Reminds me of this jersey that was "banned" (for lack of a better term) by the AHL because it was too light for a "dark" jersey but too dark for a "white" jersey:

img9258616med.jpg

I love the Gold, the fangs on the front collar, and the new logos.

I hate the number font (Ducks font with the guitar strings), it having Nashville in 2 places, and the piping passing over the stripes.

I'll miss the old number font. Even though I'm biased being a Preds fan, it was my favorite in the league.

Also, the weird thing about them going heavy on the Gold is that they painted over every little bit of Gold in the arena last season. Everything was painted Navy and Silver to go along with the colors of the now retired thirds.

Edited by Grizzly44

I'll miss the old number font. Even though I'm biased being a Preds fan, it was my favorite in the league.

Yeh the old number font was great. I didn't even realize the stripes on the new numbers were guitar strings.

It sounds like I'm going to be in the minority here, but I just don't like any of the new Preds stuff except the new cleaned up logo. That was my biggest complaint on the old awesome gold 3rds, the crest on the front as waaay too detailed.

yeah I'm not sure how I feel about these at all, they just seem cartoonish. Dont like the Nashville on the shoulder either. I definitely prefereed the direction of the retired thirds A LOT more. A white and/or gold version of that made official would've been great. I'm sure I will end up with one though.

I think the more I see them the more I'll like them.

Right now it's more or less the smaller details that bug me about it.

I'm kinda surprised by the yellow home jersey. Just seems too light for a "dark" jersey. Shocked the league let them go with that.

I can see how they would allow home yellow. The Bruins have worn yellow against white in the Winter Classic season and in the Pooh Bear era.

I also remember watching the Pooh Bear yellow against Ranger blue in 1999.

Yeah, that was a 3rd jersey though so it was a special occasion AND had to be cleared with the league for each date it was used.

You know what I wouldn't mind seeing? The gold one on the road and maybe a navy version at home. Kinda like the Kings used to do with theirs only reversed obviously.

I can see how they would allow home yellow. The Bruins have worn yellow against white in the Winter Classic season and in the Pooh Bear era.

I also remember watching the Pooh Bear yellow against Ranger blue in 1999.

Yeh you're right - I guess for me it was as Brilliant mentioned those were alternate/special occasion jerseys, not the team's regular home jersey. However I think my problem is just that without the dark shoulder yoke, it just seems too light (to me). Then again many of the white jerseys have dark shoulder yokes - so basically I'll just conclude my assertion was flawed entirely :)

I probably just don't like the new Preds gold jerseys because they look too much like a Michigan jersey. :lol: