Komet Kuarters ... any opinions

Has anyone purchased one of the Fort Wayne Komets jerseys from Komet Kuarters?

There are a couple of vintage jerseys on their Web site

http://www.kometkuarters.com/KometGear.htm

that caught my eye, particularly the 1966-67 Kaptain Komet shirt. The design of the Komet Kuarters shirt is not 100% accurate (the order of the shoulder strips is not correct; the first strip on the front should be black, not white; and the neck was not a tie down), but it's pretty close and the quote I received to customize is not crazy high (about $170).

But, before I pull the trigger I was wondering if anyone has done business with these guys. Opinions on the quality of the jerseys, service/shipping time would be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of any other vendors who do vintage (1960s)Komets' replica jerseys, please pass on the name(s) and any opinions if you've done business with them.

Thanksl.

MervDubchak.jpg

Edited by LouMarcon

I used to have season tickets to the Komets and would buy t-shirts and also hockey sticks, shin guards, and other equipment from Komet Kuarters. They have a decent store, but it has moved from strip mall-to-strip mall several times over the years. If you would like to call them, I can get you their number. Their service has always been good to me.

I've bought two jerseys from them; neither customized. In 2006 I got the home 'v-neck' and a road 'v-neck' for my wife in 2007. The maker is AK. Seams were sewn well, double stitch on all joints if I recall. The right cuff seam pop on my home jersey and I had to have my mother-in-law resew it. There were only a few threads. Material is close to game weight. No fight strap.

I will say my jerseys are from the UHL days. I'm not sure who is supplying jerseys now they are in the CHL. I quit supporting the team with my money when the Frankey's tried to restart the IHL. I do like the Kaptain logo. I have several hats with him on it. Go Pens!

I have a number. I was more interested in what past customer(s) had to say. Thanks for the information.

I used to have season tickets to the Komets and would buy t-shirts and also hockey sticks, shin guards, and other equipment from Komet Kuarters. They have a decent store, but it has moved from strip mall-to-strip mall several times over the years. If you would like to call them, I can get you their number. Their service has always been good to me.

I've bought two jerseys from them; neither customized. In 2006 I got the home 'v-neck' and a road 'v-neck' for my wife in 2007. The maker is AK. Seams were sewn well, double stitch on all joints if I recall. The right cuff seam pop on my home jersey and I had to have my mother-in-law resew it. There were only a few threads. Material is close to game weight. No fight strap.

I will say my jerseys are from the UHL days. I'm not sure who is supplying jerseys now they are in the CHL. I quit supporting the team with my money when the Frankey's tried to restart the IHL. I do like the Kaptain logo. I have several hats with him on it. Go Pens!

• 2 weeks later...

I've delt with Komet Kuarters several times. The one guy I talked to was very friendly and I got great service. I bought a set of 90-93 Kaptain Komet IHL jerseys from them.

2909056050098934225S425x425Q85.jpg

If you get one of the Orange ones I'd be interested in your review. I usually don't buy replicas but those look nice.

image310.jpg

Jimm

• 2 months later...

This is for you, Jimm:

My orange Kaptain Komet jersey arrived on Saturday. The orange/black/white combination is very sharp!

It's 100% nylon mesh, with a 12-inch logo that I'd estimate is about 20-25% embroidered. 12-inch numbers on the back, 4-inch numbers on the sleeves and a 4-inch captain's C. Lightweight, but well made. Premade by Athletic Knit of Toronto, Canada.

I'm not into game worn, but I like my replicas to be reasonably accurate. This one has a few inaccuracies: The color combination (black/white/orange) and the sequence of the shoulder strips are not the same as the original, the number font is off, the neck of the original does not have draw strings and the K in the middle of the original logo is not orange. But, I knew all of this going into the deal. And, because of trademark considerations I'm not aware of any other vendor that does Fort Wayne Komets replica jerseys. So I decided to go for this one.

The cost of a blank jersey (without numbers and captain's C) is reasonable, $109. Komet Kuarters jacks the price up considerably for the numbers. The final bill, including shipping, was $180, a little high. It would cost extra for a name on the back. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give this a 7. A decent addition to my collection.

Komet Kuarters carries a black 1960-61 Komets jersey that also interests me. It's more accurate than the orange, except for the size of the diagonal lettering, KOMETS, across the front. Although too small, the letter font of the Komet Kuarters jersey in spot on. I talked to a KK rep about having the smaller letters removed and replaced with something closer to the larger size of the original. The vendor, however, didn't feel comfortable removing the current letters, out of a concern for tearing the jersey in the process.

The stitching on my orange jersey is well done, very professional. I'm thinking of buying the black and removing the letters myself. I've already got a Pittsburgh vendor line up to make the larger lettering. This will give me a project for when the snow starts to fly. Here are the pictures:

KometFront.jpg

KometBack.jpg

KometLogo.jpg

KometC.jpg

Thornson01.jpg

Edited by LouMarcon

Those look pretty nice. The 1st image didn't show up for some reason though.

I just ordered a Columbus Checkers from Vintage Hockey Classics for about the same $$$. George said he would make as close to the original late 60's shirts as possible. I've given up trying to find a gamer from that era.

4b9c042ac1c1c_154365b.jpg

Let me know how the Checkers jersey turns out. George has a very interesting selection of jerseys at Vintage Hockey Classics. And, have you every done any business with Oldjerseys.com? They also have a very nice selection of minor league jerseys.

While the Checkers didn't last long, I was one of the few who witnessed their first game, an exhibition versus the Chicago Blackhawks at the old Fairgrounds Coliseum during my undergrad days. I used to walk the two miles from campus every time the Komets came to town. Didn't miss a Fort Wayne game during the Checkers' first two years.

I think I was editing my post when you were looking at the pictures, which might be the reason why the first pix didn't show. Just in case, here's another:

KometFront2.jpg

Edited by LouMarcon

I have purchased from OldJerseys.com before. I had them make up a Columbus Owls home jersey for me. It was very good but over sized. A 56 fit like a 58g. I emailed them several times but didn't get a response. George called me back within an hour and went over the whole process he goes thru to make a jersey. I'm excited to see the finished product.

17_Owls_F.jpg17_Owls_B.JPG

The crest is a combo of hand cut twill and embroidery.

I saw the Owls one time in 1974 while we were visiting family. I grew up in Cowtown but we moved to Chillicothe when I was 10.

I'm actually wearing one of two Pittsburgh Hornets jerseys George made for me. Getting them finished was a long drawnout and painful process, but the quality of the finished products is first rate. There were some faults: On the red jersey, the C and No. 5 should be transposed. On the blue jersey, the yellow yoke should be squared at the top of the shoulders, not rounded; the yellow stripe around the waist and the arms is too wide. It should be just slightly wider, about 30%, that the white stripes. And, the crests should be larger and with the letters, the spacing and the font is incorrect.
Here's what I received from VHC on Saturday:

VHCFront.jpg

VHCRear.jpg

VFCLogo.jpg

Edited by LouMarcon

• 2 years later...

I've shopped at Komet Kuarters here n there over the years. Nice to work with. Had my skates sharpened there a few times. Last time I was there Bill Franke was still working there. I think they are a little high on their prices, just me. But, where else you gonna shop for Hockey stuff in FW. By the way, nice Hornets jerseys!