Free Agency

nogoal99

Vokoun gets $1.5 million?!?!?!?

Yay now we get Bryzgalov for 9 years at $5.6 million a year

Yep. Absolute steal. Just proves the Flyers totally ignored the goalie market.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to break it to you, but these morons know more about hockey than you do. He is going to be a terrible player towards the end of his contract. How many players are still first line centers at 37 years old? How many players (that is not named Lidstrom) are worth a $6.67 cap hit when they are 37-40? Richards just came off a concussion. 9 years is a lot of time. I hate the DiPietro contract, and I have made it extremely clear that the Islanders are better team without him on the roster and will be better off without him. Fact of the matter is he is here to stay because he is buddy-buddy with Chuck so Snow can't buy him out/force him to retire. Thing is it is not my money, so I don't care what they pay DiPietro. However, by some miracle, say DiPietro comes back 100% healthy and returns to his all-star season form, $4.5 for an all star goalie is pretty nice, but we know he isn't going to comeback any where near 50%, let alone 100%. You seem to make fun of the Isles crazy contracts, Sather signs guys like he is sniffing glue. If I am a GM, the only players I'd offer a deal longer than 5 years to are Tavares, Stamkos, Doughty, etc(young guns). Oh, and DiPietro's contract is not the worst in the league. I think paying $6.6 mil to a guy to play in the minors is pretty sad (sorry xcdude). And where did I say Gaborik was a bust?

Face it, the Isles prospects are better than the rangers. The higher picks were completely worth it. I don't think you understand that without Lundqvist, the rangers are just as bad as the Isles. The rangers will not win a Cup before the Isles.

Edit: Love the move for the Caps. They got a very solid goalie

Edited by NYIJM29

They really don't know more than I do though, because I know that Richards isn't going to turn into the worst player in the league JUST BECAUSE he signed with the Rangers, like all the idiots on NHL's Facebook page and Twitter keep crying about. That's literally their logic - Richards is going to be a terrible player because he signed with the Rangers. That makes no sense at all. He may very well turn into a poor player when he's 37-40, but who are you to assume that? If he stays healthy he could be produtive into his 40's just like Roloson, who plays the most demanding position in the game and still plays it very well. I never said I liked the 9 year deal, but I like that we landed the best UFA available. If we buy him out at 37 to sign someone else, so be it. But for the next 5 years at least, we'll have him and hopefully he'll produce. The one thing I really DON'T want is him on a line with Gaborik. I think that's gonna be a disaster just because they're both scorers, and they'll both want the puck and two guys can't have it at the same time. Deciding who's going to shoot is gonna be a problem.

And the Rangers are going to offer Callahan and Dubinsky deals in excess of 5 years, as well they should because they're still young and they're the future of the team. I'd like to see them both locked up on 8 year deals, but I think if anyone gets that many years it'll be Callahan since he's the captain-in-waiting, Dubinsky will probably get 6. The Rangers are a scorer and a defenseman away from contending, and all the Rangers bloggers on Twitter seem to think if everyone stays healthy, we could challenge for the division. Why shouldn't I be excited about the season?

Richards is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. He never scored 30 goals in a season and just makes players around him better so pairing with him gaborik is the thing to do. If it works out time will tell.

I completely agree to keep Gaborik off Richards line...I am glad you said that. I really hate when I see people saying that. But who knows, in TC/preseason Richards and Gaborik can click. Are you sure Richards doesn't want to be reunited with his friend from the Stars, Sean Avery :thumbsup:

Vokoun gets $1.5 million?!?!?!?

Yay instead of that, the Flyers get Bryzgalov for 9 years at $5.6 million a year while Bobrovsky sits on his a s s

Why you heff to be mad?

Rongos needs some dmen other than Staal and Giradi. Those two got worn down in the playoffs.

I completely agree to keep Gaborik off Richards line...I am glad you said that. I really hate when I see people saying that. But who knows, in TC/preseason Richards and Gaborik can click. Are you sure Richards doesn't want to be reunited with his friend from the Stars, Sean Avery :thumbsup:

I think as good as they played together last year, Callahan and Dubinsky are gonna have to get split up because we'll have 6 centers after boyle re-ups, someone is gonna have to change positions. I think something like Callahan-Richards-Wolski (I hope they keep him) would be a nice top line. Then you go Anisimov-Dubinsky-Gaborik, Rupp-Boyle-Prust and Fedotenko-Stepan-Avery. That leaves Chrisensen as the odd man out like I said in another thread yesterday. I like him, but I don't we have room for him. I'm really gonna miss Boogaard though :-\

I think something like Callahan-Richards-Wolski (I hope they keep him) would be a nice top line. T

Holy s*** that's almost as dumb as someone saying that they thought Sean Avery would be on the top line.

Wolski should be bought out, and Richards and Gaborik are going to play together. Move Dubinsky to the wing where he's better anyways.

The top line to start anyway will be insert player here-Richards-Gaborik. The top talented players always get paired in the beginning and you take it from there.

Holy s*** that's almost as dumb as someone saying that they thought Sean Avery would be on the top line.

Wolski should be bought out, and Richards and Gaborik are going to play together. Move Dubinsky to the wing where he's better anyways.

Wolski isn't going to be bought out any time soon, if at all. I think if they can't trade him (as was rumored) they'll hang onto him and hope a deal comes along at the deadline. I like the guy, and I think playing on a line with Richards and Callahan gives him the best chance to be 20 goal, 50 point player like he was in 06-07.

Oh, and Cally-Richards scares ME and I'm a Rangers fan. They could put up crazy numbers together.

Buffalo way overpaid for Ville Leino. No way the guy is worth $4+ million per year. He's a good lower line guy, but NOT a 1st or 2nd liner by any stretch. I think that signing proves Buffalo needs to go after a couple of BIG scorers. They should have AT LEAST tried for Brad Richards, IMO. Because he's the type of guy they need.

Also, the Leafs overpaid IMO for Connolly. He only had 40+ point last year and got a $4 million a year deal. I don't get it!!! Looks like Toronto needs to get smarter with some of these contracts...

Buffalo way overpaid for Ville Leino. No way the guy is worth $4+ million per year. He's a good lower line guy, but NOT a 1st or 2nd liner by any stretch. I think that signing proves Buffalo needs to go after a couple of BIG scorers. They should have AT LEAST tried for Brad Richards, IMO. Because he's the type of guy they need.

Also, the Leafs overpaid IMO for Connolly. He only had 40+ point last year and got a $4 million a year deal. I don't get it!!! Looks like Toronto needs to get smarter with some of these contracts...

The real winners of free agency were the players because of the money they got.

I liked Ville, but at $4.5 million a year for 6 years, the Sabres can have him.

Connolly at $4.75 million

Upshall at $4 million

Wisniewski at $5.5 million

Cole at $4.5 million

Ward at $3 million

Fleischmenn at $4.5 million

Laich at $4.5 million

All very much overpaid

The real winners of free agency were the players because of the money they got.

I liked Ville, but at $4.5 million a year for 6 years, the Sabres can have him.

Connolly at $4.75 million

Upshall at $4 million

Wisniewski at $5.5 million

Cole at $4.5 million

Ward at $3 million

Fleischmenn at $4.5 million

Laich at $4.5 million

All very much overpaid

Well you can't really call the Panthers signings overpaying, they had no choice. They had to get to the cap floor and they were going to overpay anyway, so why not overpay for halfway decent players?

I don't understand why more players do not want to play for Tampa Bay or the Panthers. No state taxes (right?), absolutely no media coverage/pressure to win, and decent weather.

Holy s***...Havlat traded straight up for Heatley http://twitter.com/#!/EJHradek_NHL/status/87710319346061314

I JUST saw that on Facebook. Wow, that's insane. Minnesota Sharks? They have Seto also.

I JUST saw that on Facebook. Wow, that's insane. Minnesota Sharks? They have Seto also.

San Jose could have got much more for Heatley IMO. Havlat is a good player, but with his injury history...something had to be up with Heatley.

San Jose could have got much more for Heatley IMO. Havlat is a good player, but with his injury history...something had to be up with Heatley.

You mean being a ###### and wearing out his welcome with every team he's ever played for isn't enough?

Exactly...and the fact that this year's free agent class outside of Richards was a border line waste. Heatley would have been the 1b player available. SJ could have got much more I think.

The Talbot signing is being reviewed because it breached a rule of the CBA.

My link

Briefly, according to Article 50.7 of the CBA, a player cannot have their salary decrease from year to year by more than half the amount of their first two year’s salaries. In the reported Talbot contract, he has a salary of $2.25 million in the second year, but sees his salary decrease from $2.25 million in the third year to $1 million in the fourth year. That $1.25 million decrease is more than half the amount of the lowest salary during the first two years.

Another stupid mistake to add to the list made by the Flyers organization that wouldn't be made if they had half a brain.

But on another note, why in the hell is this contract an issue but a contract like Ehrhoff's is not even though the monetary breakdown goes from 10 million in the first year all the way to 1 million in the final two seasons? The Ehrhoff contract technically doesn't break any rules, but really which contract looks more like an attempt at cap circumvention?

The cap circumvention will be closed in the next CBA for sure. I agree with you that the CBA is messed up. Funny thing is that Talbot's contract is illegal by $125,000

God all those offersheets are confusing me. There are so many!

Oh wait.

(sorry had to do it)

Also, corvo was traded for the 4th rounder. Why couldn't the Rangers traded a 3rd for him? We are too young and unexperienced at d.