How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

Why 15 years, is a good question. Notice the tags are still on the garment. As I jersey collector a friend purchased this for me for doing a gratis job for him in August of 1998. Later that year, I got married and move out of home, hence leaving a few boxes of personal effects behind. Low and behold, I was asked to come get my stuff ... and got reacquainted with this beauty.

I know Modano was an alternate captain that year, but did he actually wear the A on that particular jersey in the Finals? I'm not sure.

According to photo research, Mike Modano did wear an "A" during the Finals, but only on the whites. :angry: RCS !

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for getting it stripped and fixed, EPS could strip it and fix it for you.

I apologies for my ignorance, what is EPS ?

Does anybody know about Blake's Sports Lettering, in Garland, Texas ?

Edited by joed1969

EPS is Exclusive Pro Sports (http://exclusivepro.com) in Rockford, Illinois.

They are one of best and most experienced jersey customizers around. Though they aren't perfect, there is usually a sizable wait to get jerseys back and like any customizer, they are only as good as the detailed instructions you provide them.

From what I know, Blake's Sports Lettering is the official customizer of the Dallas Stars. The general rule of thumb is if you can get the official customizer to do the work, use them.

In your particular case, I suggested EPS because they can strip the jersey and do the customization - killing two birds with one stone. You could also get the jersey stripped someplace and then send it to Blake's. I just don't know if Josh at EPS would be willing to just strip the jersey without also customizing it. You can give them a call and find out.

I just don't know if Josh at EPS would be willing to just strip the jersey without also customizing it. You can give them a call and find out.

That may pose a problem: I ran into some trouble last year sending EPS a jersey where I wanted them to just strip the numbers from the back- they did but he kept indicating he needed to re-customize it (of which it wouldn't have been correct). He was good enough to do it in the end but it's not something they do regularly. But it don't cost anything to call and ask.

Seems to be a common mistake with the green 1999 Modano Stanley Cup finals jerseys having the letter A on it. The one I purchased a few years back also had A on it, which Modano never wore in the 1998-1999 Finals, including the night the Stars won the Cup. I stripped the A off mine but it didn't come off clean.

Edited by modano1973

Blake's Sports Lettering just did a current Stars jersey for me that is in the process of being shipped back to me. From my account so far, they've been great. Cheap, quick. They're only accessible by phone, and they're often very busy so just keep calling.

If they won't strip the jersey, then you'll have to find someone willing to do it. I highly doubt you're going to get RCS to stand by a guarantee after 15 years though, unless you still have proof of purchase, and even then I don't know that they'll do it after 15 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a game issue Colorado 3rd jersey. 2.0 from last year (Meigrey, #2 Joel Chouinard GI ). I want to customize it to a Duchene (Which is why I bought #2) but the name plate seems to be on there pretty good... It almost seems glued on the edges or pressed or something..??? Anyone have any ideas or experiences stripping these things???

Edited by lapp3r30

No experience whatsoever but hoepfully if there's any problems a new, same-sized plate would cover it up...?

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone ever tried to strip a Rangers GI? I'm thinking about taking the numbers off one and I figured I'd ask first to see if it's a lost cause before I even start. Any input/tips appreciated!

Has anyone ever tried to strip a Rangers GI? I'm thinking about taking the numbers off one and I figured I'd ask first to see if it's a lost cause before I even start. Any input/tips appreciated!

Home jerseys: possible, but I wouldn't attempt it again.

Away jerseys: don't bother.

Which one are you looking to strip?

So I ordered a kit off EPS and I had a local jersey customizer help me stitch it on. And when the number was stitched it on, it was crooked... And it's really irritating me. The customizer is refusing to own up to his mistake too. I contacted Joshua at EPS and he said he could try to strip it if I sent it in, but I've already spent way more than I would have liked on this jersey.

I believe the customizer had heat-pressed the number onto the jersey before stitching it. Do you think I would be able to tackle this?

Thanks

Edit: the heat-press and stitching was just applied probably at most a week ago. Not sure if that will factor in.

D8S800F.jpg

Edited by foppa21

And one more thing I thought I might as well add here. The same customizer helped me do up a Selanne Winnipeg Jets rookie jersey, but he added an assistant's "A" on it without me asking for one.... It's an ultrafil jersey I think? What are the chances of me stripping that cleanly as well? As with the Avalanche Duchene, it was recently heat-pressed and stitched on.

Thanks

oUehZEp.png

Edited by foppa21

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a 2004 ASG customized with Thornton 19 and Boston patch. It has a nameplate so that should be a little easier. Each layer for letters and numbers is stitched to the jersey directly so its definitely going to be a PITA.

Question: Boston logo patch is glued on and not stitched. Best way to go about removing it? Would EPS be able to remove a glued-on patch? How much does EPS charge for stripping & recustomizing a shirt?

Thanks in advance. Looking to make it a Jagr.

Bought a 2004 ASG customized with Thornton 19 and Boston patch. It has a nameplate so that should be a little easier. Each layer for letters and numbers is stitched to the jersey directly so its definitely going to be a PITA.

Question: Boston logo patch is glued on and not stitched. Best way to go about removing it? Would EPS be able to remove a glued-on patch? How much does EPS charge for stripping & recustomizing a shirt?

Thanks in advance. LOOKING TO MAKE

IT A JAGR.

Ask Guam :P

I plan to buy a game issued Devils EDGE 2.0 road jersey and then have it stripped and re-done to the player of my choosing.

There are several options available in my size.

1) A #22 with a 7 letter name

2) A #33 with a 5 letter name.

Mine will be a Clowe, #29. What's my best play? Going to have the strip and the customizing by EPS. Do I go with the #22 and just have them change the second number? If it's better/necessary to strip the full number, do I go with the one with the same length name?

All of this is contingent in whether they pick up anyone cool when free agency starts, or if Schneider signs an extension.

I plan to buy a game issued Devils EDGE 2.0 road jersey and then have it stripped and re-done to the player of my choosing.

There are several options available in my size.

1) A #22 with a 7 letter name

2) A #33 with a 5 letter name.

Mine will be a Clowe, #29. What's my best play? Going to have the strip and the customizing by EPS. Do I go with the #22 and just have them change the second number? If it's better/necessary to strip the full number, do I go with the one with the same length name?

All of this is contingent in whether they pick up anyone cool when free agency starts, or if Schneider signs an extension.

Even thought it's very unlikely, I'd ask Josh at EPS if the color of the 9 will match the color of the 2 if you go with the jersey that has 22 on it. If you go with the 33 is there a chance there will be a lot of glue residue/shadow?

As far as the name, don't the Devils use plates? I'm thinking that should come off clean with no real issues.

The Devils do use plates, I was more curious if the length of the name made a difference interns of any glue residue that may be under there.

I think I'm just afraid to take a chance on a white jersey. But the blanks aren't available. At least not so far.

Too bad you can't use a 58 instead of a 58+. There's a size 58 road GI already issued for Clowe. You'd just have to take the HHOF patch off the front if you didn't want it on the jersey.

Too bad you can't use a 58 instead of a 58+. There's a size 58 road GI already issued for Clowe. You'd just have to take the HHOF patch off the front if you didn't want it on the jersey.

I was looking at that, I may try that one out. I read the thread on the difference in measurements, I'm betting the 58 would be fine on me. I prefer them loose and I have long arms so I've gone with 58+ in the past.

We'll see what the summer sale brings...that's this season's jersey, which may mean less of a sale or no sale price at all. But the strip and re-do cost might just neutralize that anyway.

Edited by mfitz804

• 4 weeks later...

Probably so. Single layer twill and I have stripped a bunch of those Nike airknit jerseys. They usually come out well.

I have a blank in size 52 if you're interested though, I'll beat that price even. This one has never been customized and is in very good shape.

Edited by DC Red Wings

Anyone know how easy it is to strip the Oilers style of jersey they went to the SCF with in 06?

Edited by StayFrosty