How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

3 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

Acetone is basically nail polish remover, right? So I just dump it all over the back of the crest and let is soak in? How long should I let it soak? 

Yes, but nail polish remover is sometimes tinted and has other stuff in it.  You want pure acetone. They sell it at any hardware store.  This is the stuff I use:

840G1.jpg

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, spudrock512 said:

Yes, pure acetone from the hardware store is the way to go.

Picked up some at Home Depot today. Thank you

Tried finding more info in the thread using the search tool regarding removing an entire crest and not just glue residue using acetone. Didn't find anything.

Last night I was pretty much just pouring acetone directly onto the back of the jersey and allowing it to soak through the crest. Did this numerous times allowing the crest and jersey to soak up all the acetone. So far, nothing has budged. Should I be ironing the crest or doing something else to move along the process?

2 hours ago, furiousd said:

I've made a couple attempts at using heat to remove numbering, and I didn't like how it turned out.  Maybe my technique was bad, but I felt like that there were spots where it probably re-set the glue and made it harder to remove.

Can you even get an edge up?

My thoughts as well which is why I haven't tried it.

Nope, can't get a single part of the crest removed from the jersey yet. I'm almost to the point where i'm thinking of just soaking overnight the crest in a bucket filled with acetone, but I'm concerned with what that might do to the jersey itself.

1 hour ago, mdwsta4 said:

My thoughts as well which is why I haven't tried it.

Nope, can't get a single part of the crest removed from the jersey yet. I'm almost to the point where i'm thinking of just soaking overnight the crest in a bucket filled with acetone, but I'm concerned with what that might do to the jersey itself.

Yeah that does not sound like the best idea. 

Guest Dr_Puck

Currently stripping a big block CCM Sharks. I am amazed at how resilient the fabric is compared to Edge material. I just need to get to one more shoulder number and I'm done with (hopefully) not a single hole. My game-worn Binghamton Sens that I stripped last year easily opened up holes. Either the material is better or I am just better at it.

The only down side is that I am removing a 6 and I'll be danmed, the arches on the 6 are killing my hands. 

Guest Dr_Puck

Removing the nameplate on a Stars jersey from 1995/96 and ran into a major roadblock. Has anyone seen double-stitching like this before? This plate is going to take a year to remove. 

dKL8Unz.jpg

3pPMkXi.jpg

RV2JAdO.jpg

I wish I'd taken some before pictures, but here's what the infamous Nortel Networks 2000 ASG jersey looks like post-strip. The ASG and NHL2000 patches were glued down and stitched, so once I got the stitches out I had to pull them up and there is some glue residue remaining, plus the outlines from the patches, but I anticipate them being easy enough to clean out. They're pretty minor. All three layers of the numbers were stitched through the jersey so I had to remove the layers one by one. That meant ripping the stitches on 12 different layers. Fortunately there were no sleeve numbers. I did rip a couple of small holes in the jersey when stripping the ASG patch and the front number, but I'm pretty sure that they'll both be covered when the patch and the number get replaced. All in all, for my first jersey strip, I'd say it turned out well, especially since it was more work than a normal strip would take.

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe I missed it, why did you have to strip the ASG and NHL 2000 patches?

The NHL2000 patch was on the left side instead of the right and the ASG patch was a combination of the actual patch and a Nortel ad patch. 

4 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

The NHL2000 patch was on the left side instead of the right and the ASG patch was a combination of the actual patch and a Nortel ad patch. 

I see. Definitely a lot of extra work, looks like you did it well. 

Should have taken a before picture, and I still have a ways to go, but here's where I'm at with a Panther's TI practice jersey in 54. The crest had to be pulled pretty hard to remove so I'm guessing the front will be pretty beat up when its all said and done, but this is meant simply to wear at the rink for practice/games so whatever. (actual color of the residue is blue, I just desaturated the image)

IMG_0170-vi.jpg

Next is the Canes jersey I posted about earlier where the entire crest was glued down. After putting so much acetone on it I was finally able to get a corner up and remove the crest. I'm not looking forward to removing all this glue...

IMG_0171-vi.jpg

The frustrating part is the last two jerseys I stripped came off almost perfectly! Why did these two have to be such a PITA?!

Any had a problem like this before when stripping a jersey? A lot of yellow glue, I took the Acetone to it, and the yellow ended up spreading around as it used the Acetone on a rag to try and remove the glue. Am I going to be Screwed here or will this be salvageable?

Penguins MiC Adidas work in progress

13 hours ago, KB67 said:

Any had a problem like this before when stripping a jersey? A lot of yellow glue, I took the Acetone to it, and the yellow ended up spreading around as it used the Acetone on a rag to try and remove the glue. Am I going to be Screwed here or will this be salvageable?

I was thinking about it last night, and almost suggested the paint tray idea.  I'd just be afraid that you'd spread it further and it still wouldn't come out, though. 

I'll admit this isn't a great suggestion, but maybe you could do a Jagr tribute jersey.  You'd first have to succeed at some spot cleaning in the holes of the 8, but if you did, someone would pay far more for that than what you currently have.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Guessing you tried using heat to remove the glue?  Sucks to see that :(

EPS said never to use heat, only pushes the glue further into the fabric. 

I'm still working on my two practice jersey projects and after seeing the mess that is the Penguins customization, I may not even attempt to strip that one.

But something I have been thinking about are the new Adidas practice jerseys. The new crests for all teams aren't sewn patches but thick rubber stamps. Anyone have any idea if these could be removed with something like acetone or another chemical without reeking too much havoc on the jersey itself?

That Pens one is a very rare case. It takes a LOT to get twill welded on like that. Whoever did that customization didn't want the numbers to come off at all. They probably pressed front and back several times to get it that adhered. They might have even sat on the thing to get that much pressure on it. In all the years I've been stripping (HA!), I've only seen instances like that a handful of times. Most times, letters and numbers do come off with little effort and can be salvaged. Crests are a different animal though. Usually the manufacturer works very hard to make sure those don't come off easily or clean.

I'm wondering if they hammered the #'s down on that Pens because it was so close to Crosby's #'s and they didn't want someone to redo it and claim it was his gamer? 

Has anyone tried to strip a different player from the same team? 

I've seen a lot of success stories on here so far.