How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

Thank you so much for this thread, slim! :thumbsup: It's very comprehensive and thorough. I will definitely use this as a reference tool.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you so much for this thread, slim! :thumbsup: It's very comprehensive and thorough. I will definitely use this as a reference tool.

I wrote it for you...you inspire me :wub:

...I mean, thank you.

I wrote it for you...you inspire me :wub:

...I mean, thank you.

:lol:

I hope I don't inspire you THAT way. :lol: Or there might be something wrong!

Here is another update from the Goo Gone stuff I used. Not much needs written, the before and afters speak for themselves.

Before

6ghiwy.jpg

After

2iih5kx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first bit of stripping this morning though it was just a nameplate and I didn't get the full experience as the nameplate wasn't heat pressed. But this is a great write up, and just doing that one little bit has me excited to actually acquire something that needs stripped even though I'm sure taking glue off will suck :stickhndl: Thanks to all that contributed

Ugh...all layers sewn down is a NIGHTMARE. I hate when I get ones like that. It looks like it all came off nice though. Usually, what I'll do is curl up some tape so the adhesive is on all sides and dab it on the thread to get all the loose crap up. Then I just pick everything else left off by hand.

I love seeing jerseys like this get a funky name slapped on it but the customizer uses the correct fonts and everything. That cracks me up!

hahaha my goodness, 3 layers, thats brutal. how did it come out? final pic is a little blurry.

It came out really well. There wasn't much glue on the numbers, and only a faint outline left behind. And Brilliant, I used some packing tape and started smacking the crap out of it, and picked the last bit of thread and white backing off.

I'm stripping the hardest jersey I've ever come acrossed. The twill numbers have a glue backing that is impossible to remove without heating it with an iron and pulling them off when the glue is hot enough. Unfortunately, it leaves a lot of glue residue. I've tried the remove the residue with the iron method, which removed some of it. Next was Goof Off, which took off a residue but not without some really hard work. I used applied the solvent using a rag and it takes a lot of scrubbing and Goof Off to remove the residue. I'm about to give up and just send it off to EPS to see what they can do. Stripping this jersey is pissing me off to no end.

So did my first one tonight, unfortunately it was rough, 3 layers of sewn embroidery. Thank goodness there was only a front/back number and no arm numbers.

Jersey is a 2000 All-Star Promotional thing, wanted to strip it down. Still not done, need to replace the All-Star patch, and relocate the NHL2000 patch.

I've got one of these as well. I'm not the most patient guy, so rather than deal with going stitch-by-stitch, I used a straight razor to blow through hundreds at a time. Since I'm not salvaging the numbers, the fact that they get sliced up matters not one bit to me. The trick, of course, is a light touch so the jersey doesn't get cut through as well.

Random Q:

Would this technique be applicable to the EDGE replica's sizing tag? I know I shouldn't have bought it, but I might try to remove it myself.

Random Q:

Would this technique be applicable to the EDGE replica's sizing tag? I know I shouldn't have bought it, but I might try to remove it myself.

I don't see why not. Why do you say you shouldn't have bought it?

Could we strip the name off the nameplate and replace it with a new one?

Why bother, can't find the material to just make a new nameplate?

Why bother, can't find the material to just make a new nameplate?

Well who has black ultrafil? Since I'll just have to get a new plate, also if we use the goof off, do you spray it on the inside of the jersey where it's behind the nameplate or on some sort of gap between the nameplate and the jersey? I've never done this before, so that's why I asked.

Well who has black ultrafil? Since I'll just have to get a new plate, also if we use the goof off, do you spray it on the inside of the jersey where it's behind the nameplate or on some sort of gap between the nameplate and the jersey? I've never done this before, so that's why I asked.

Depending on the name you want, I have a black ultrafil nameplate for you. Normally nameplates aren't adhered, though, so you should just be able to remove the stitching and have it fall off.

I don't see why not. Why do you say you shouldn't have bought it?

Will try stripping off the sizing thingamabob when I get the chance, thanks for the guide.

Heh heh, I'm going back to school, and stuff are expensive. Y'know the drill! :D

Edited by bender

• 4 weeks later...

My first ever strip job (just the nameplate). I know it's minimal, but can't help but be a little stoked that it went smoothly. Now going to give it a go on a black Ultrafil (back and shoulder numbers), and an Edge 2.0 (full name and number). Wish me luck.

2879932720107092053S600x600Q85.jpg

Finished stripping my first 2.0. Nameplate was a bit of a pain because of the glue, and there's a couple of glue spots that wouldn't come up. But I figure once I get it re-customized the glue spots will be covered by the nameplate anyways. The numbers were extremely easy. They were a bit stubborn to peel off, but left no glue residue and didn't damage the jersey at all.

2228042590107092053S200x200Q85.jpg2846687240107092053S200x200Q85.jpg2300939030107092053S200x200Q85.jpg

2533920870107092053S200x200Q85.jpg2428886210107092053S200x200Q85.jpg2855230110107092053S200x200Q85.jpg

2437156290107092053S425x425Q85.jpg