How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

Brandon, definitely worth the price, even if I just play hockey in it!

If you did strip it, it might set a world record for most individual stitches removed. Can that style really be that hard to come by that you'd want to take that on? I'd probably give it to EPS and throw money at it than spend two weeks dealing with it myself.

If I try to strip this, it probably would save me so much money in the sense I would not be on eBay for as long! I am off from school for a month starting December 15 (I hope...I don't know when my last final is, latest is Dec 19.) so I might try to do it. Its definitely possible to strip this though right?

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This has probably already been answered somewhere, but how does an Edge Jersey turn out when it has been stripped?

I won a Jack Skille Panthers jersey off of eBay for around 80 bucks, however for obvious reasons I want to strip it, and probably turn it into a Kulikov.

They come out fine. Just go easy on the nameplate and sleeve numbers. I just stripped my Fehr to have it redone and it came out fine.

Can someone please send me Goof Off and put up a little manual of how to use it correctly? Does it affect any color of the jersey itself. I'm planning to use it on white CCM mesh, black and white ultrafil and Preds mustard airknit.

What does stripping a jersey actually do? Does it raise the value?

It's basically just to get the jersey you want, of the player you want.

While it can raise the value, most members here aren't looking to strip a jersey to add value and profit...for all the time and effort it takes, let alone the cost if you're not doing the work yourself, sometimes you won't be able to get the money back that you put in to a project.

I know I've lost on a few jerseys I've re-customized and then later decided to sell.

For example - check out this Glen Cochrane that I turned into a Neely a while back - http://forums.icejer...h=1

I originally paid $350 for the Cochrane, another $25 to ship to EPS (to the US), $110 to have it cleaned and re-customized, and $25 more for return shipping = $510 total spent. While I really did like the jersey, I already owned another gold Canucks, and ultimately wanted to find a black one (which I prefer) -

2074589140105778501S500x500Q85.jpg"]2074589140105778501S500x500Q85.jpg[/url]

Then I found this black Canucks jersey with the number 34 on it....who? Doesn't matter - it was to become a Neely!

2865577630105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

So I went through the same process all over again.

After finding the black one, I sold the gold on ebay for $500 (shipped), so I lost another $20 on shipping (in Canada this time), plus my ebay fees, approx. $30? Anyways, my net was about $450. So all said and done, I lost on the gold one about $60. Do I regret having done it? Not at all. I enjoyed having the jersey while I did, and on certain days almost regret selling it, but my pain is eased whenever I stare at this beauty that's still hanging from my wall -

2933061910105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here but I just cannot see any shipping company within the U.S. allowing something as flammable as Goof-Off to be sent anywhere, much less out of the country.

Im sure they sell a similar product in Europe. Give me some time but I will get back on here later today and let you know what a similar product in Sweden or Poland might be called. Could help point you in the right direction.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here but I just cannot see any shipping company within the U.S. allowing something as flammable as Goof-Off to be sent anywhere, much less out of the country.

It would have to be sent as a dangerous goods which will cost a crapload and that's if the product is allowed in Europe.

It would have to be sent as a dangerous goods which will cost a crapload and that's if the product is allowed in Europe.

I have no clue if it's allowed in Europe and I don't know if there's a similar product in Germany/Europe. But I guess not...

Ahh, I actually have a golds canucks jersey like that as well. I don't know if I should keep it blank or put a number and name on it. If I decide to do that, what site would you recommend me to buy names and numbers from?

Hey Capt, welcome to the boards!

Do me a favor, svp - Take a few hours and search through the forum topics a little bit. You'll find a wealth of information from plenty of knowledgeable members here that will answer a lot of your questions. That way you can find some answers, you'll familiarize yourself with the forum, and you'll recognize where to post questions for specific topics, as well as dole out some answers of your own that might help other members.

Sound like a plan?

Oh, and to answer your question above, assuming it's authentic, you shouldn't actually look for a kit for the jersey. Instead, sell it to me and be done with it. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot say for certain what the rules are for posting in the trading section, but if there already isnt a specific length of time you have to be a member for before you can post in the trading section there should be one now.

These pointless responses in every thread in order to get your post count up are ridiculous

I cannot say for certain what the rules are for posting in the trading section, but if there already isnt a specific length of time you have to be a member for before you can post in the trading section there should be one now.

These pointless responses in every thread in order to get your post count up are ridiculous

HAve to be honest, I really appreciated the premature bump in my sale thread :D

Here's a success story for you guys. I was recently given a Winnipeg Jets jersey as compensation for some work by one of our fine members here. The problem was, it had a terribly incorrect Tim Cheveldae custom job on the back of it.

jetsfrontbefore-vi.jpg

jetsbackbefore-vi.jpg

But, after stripping the stitching off and seeing that I wasn't going to be able to get the twill off by hand without some damage, I went to work with the Goof-Off. I turned the jersey inside-out and soaked the twill areas with it and let it sit for about a minute or so. After that, the twill melted right off. I repeated this on all areas of the jersey and then turned it back out and hit the major glue spots with more Goof-Off and a toothbrush. It was successful for the most part and off it went into the wash. Upon drying, I got a nice hot iron going and put a t-shirt over the areas still glue spotted. With a lot of steam and some firm yet swift pressure, I was able to get practically everything out that was still left. Here is your end result:

jetsfrontafter-vi.jpg

jetsbackafter-vi.jpg

Jackpot! This stuff really does work wonders.