• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm having trouble cleaning this off with Goof Off

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

Any suggestions, I feel like it's some kind of tape and it's not glue. I sprayed the Goof on it and then used a toothbrush to get it of but no luck it's stuck on there.

I highly recommend trying the acetone method. I've had great success with it lately cleaning old residue and color bleed from previous customizations, and I'm pretty sure it'll make quick work of that residue.

1 - well vented area

2 - always test it in an inconspicuous area first

***NOTE - I've only used this on older jerseys, but so far it's worked on mesh, ultrafil, and air-knit with 0 problems!!! :thumbsup:

That said, I have no idea if it'll react differently to the new stuff....

I highly recommend trying the acetone method. I've had great success with it lately cleaning old residue and color bleed from previous customizations, and I'm pretty sure it'll make quick work of that residue.

1 - well vented area

2 - always test it in an inconspicuous area first

***NOTE - I've only used this on older jerseys, but so far it's worked on mesh, ultrafil, and air-knit with 0 problems!!! :thumbsup:

That said, I have no idea if it'll react differently to the new stuff....

Here is what I did. I placed a thick towel inside the jersey and then I sprayed Goof on the glue marks. Then I placed a white clean t-shirt over it and then place a hot iron over it, wait for about 30 sec and remove. This removed some of the glue but left some on that is now really hard to take off. Then I tried just spraying the Goof and letting it sit for about 1 min. and then I took a t-shirt and wrapped it around my finger and rubbed it into the glue. This did the trick but like I said in the beginning of the post it will leave glue balls. Then I used a lint remover to get rid of the glue balls. Here is what I got:

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

I'll finish up with acetone and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a success story for you guys. I was recently given a Winnipeg Jets jersey as compensation for some work by one of our fine members here. The problem was, it had a terribly incorrect Tim Cheveldae custom job on the back of it.

jetsfrontbefore-vi.jpg

jetsbackbefore-vi.jpg

But, after stripping the stitching off and seeing that I wasn't going to be able to get the twill off by hand without some damage, I went to work with the Goof-Off. I turned the jersey inside-out and soaked the twill areas with it and let it sit for about a minute or so. After that, the twill melted right off. I repeated this on all areas of the jersey and then turned it back out and hit the major glue spots with more Goof-Off and a toothbrush. It was successful for the most part and off it went into the wash. Upon drying, I got a nice hot iron going and put a t-shirt over the areas still glue spotted. With a lot of steam and some firm yet swift pressure, I was able to get practically everything out that was still left. Here is your end result:

jetsfrontafter-vi.jpg

jetsbackafter-vi.jpg

Jackpot! This stuff really does work wonders.

After reading most of this thread, I definitely don't think I can tackle the strip job, but see Brilliant does a brilliant job.. I know where mine will go when need be. haha

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past three days I've tried my first go at stripping a jersey. I'm having some issues getting rid of some remaining staining/residue. Any suggestions?

I am definitely not getting any clumping of glue or anything like that when I use the Goo Gone. It doesn't seem to be making a difference at all, and the ironing seems to have run its course. Am I using the Goo Gone incorrectly? What exactly is the procedure for using Goo Gone? I've tried letting it sit for a while and getting right into rubbing the jersey after spraying... neither way seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Don't use a toothbrush it does not work. I got a plain T-Shirt that i did not need and used the neck lining part of the shirt. It acted like a T-Shirt sandpaper.

Hey guys its been a while, I try to stay away from this place so I don't keep getting shipments of hockey jerseys to my house and had been doing pretty well, but got the bug recently, but I've been picking up baseball jerseys now that I'm in San Francisco. Anyway, I picked up this gold double knit University of Washington jersey and want to try and switch the number from 41 to 14 and make it a Tim Lincecum college jersey. I stripped the stitching off one of the front numbers and found the purple twill had bled into the adhesive. Is this something Goof-off will take care off or am I better off just keeping it as is? Thanks

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Acetone - anytime I've had similar color bleed as a result of the adhesive, I've had 100% success removing it with acetone...is my two cents :)

I've used goof-off 2 in the past, but found it wasn't as effective as the acetone.

Since it's worth repeating -

***NOTE***

No matter what you use, ALWAYS test it in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't affect the material of the jersey. Not all jerseys are made from the same stuff.

I've never had any problems on my vintage crap, but I've heard other people having issues with different/newer stuff.

I couldn't help but put in my two cents....So....

A few weeks ago I stripped a Chicago Blackhawks white NIKE...after I stripped the numbers-the red was left on the jersey...the twill totally peeled off but it looked like a single layer red number was left behind on the jersey...

So I reached out to Slimcutta....followed this post....went and got acetone from my local ace.....and all the red came completely off....cleaned it back to like new white removing all the residue and coloring that was left...

As he suggests-try it on a secret place on the jersey...but I have cleaned air knits...ultrafils and this NIKE...no problems.....Slimcutta is a jersey genius

Will this trick with Acetone work on colored jerseys as well?

Haven't tried it on colored jerseys....all of my problem Hawks jerseys have been white...airknits....or ultrafils....

Send Slimcutta a message....he's great to deal with....

Anyone have a quick tip on how to get rid of the outline of the stripped number? I think it's just matted/squished down because of the tight stitching, so I'm not sure what the best approach might be. It's an EDGE 1.0, if that makes a difference.

And another question, if I only stripped off one digit and the nameplate, and left the other digit on, would it hurt anything to send it on a gentle cycle run through the washing machine? I wasn't sure if it would shrink the twill or anything and make the remaining number look off after I get the new second digit/nameplate put on.

Anyone have a quick tip on how to get rid of the outline of the stripped number? I think it's just matted/squished down because of the tight stitching, so I'm not sure what the best approach might be. It's an EDGE 1.0, if that makes a difference.

And another question, if I only stripped off one digit and the nameplate, and left the other digit on, would it hurt anything to send it on a gentle cycle run through the washing machine? I wasn't sure if it would shrink the twill or anything and make the remaining number look off after I get the new second digit/nameplate put on.

Your best bet is to iron it with steam if there isn't glue or other residue left on it. IIRC Goof Off/acetone causes discoloration with EDGE 1.0s so I would avoid using that.

Washing your jersey on gentle cycle shouldn't do any harm to it. Just keep it away from the dryer.

I highly recommend everyone here to buy one of these - http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

2658117830105778501S600x600Q85.jpg

IT'S MY LITTLE STEAMER!!! :lol:

I just bought one for $30 (shipped), and used it to get rid of the outlines from this guy - http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

When I originally stripped the jersey, especially considering I wanted to go to a single digit player, I was worried about the outline that remained, but it worked super well, and erased the outline completely!!!

2119904750105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

You can't even tell there was ever any old numbers on there :D

Will this trick with Acetone work on colored jerseys as well?

Acetone is what all the customizers and cleaners use. I've seen it used on nice suits. It won't affect colorfast materials.

d

I did the leave one number behind bit...I'd suggest taking it off and starting fresh. For whatever reason it's hard to get everything lined back up right when putting the new numbers on. Plus depending on the wear/fading ect you might notice a slight mismatch in color between the new and old number. Having done it before it's well worth the extra few minutes it takes to rip off that second digit.