How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

You know I figured something out this week that I really should have figured out years ago.  Going North and South while stripping numbers is super quick and easy.  But the east and west can be trickier. I always had issue cutting into the numbers with the seam ripper.  Well guess what?? when you flip the seam ripper over so it's facing down if you will, it glides much easier than if it's faced upward.  Talk about a guy not adapting, I've probably stripped 40 jerseys and just figured this out this past week.😁

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure I follow 
Most times when I am stripping a jersey, I end up spinning it and by the time I'm done it looks like a spiral cookie my grandma used to make 

I’ve never been able to figure out why people act like stripping is so difficult. Popping the stitches takes 20 minutes. It’s the adhesive, if anything, that causes some issues. 

On 2/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, mfitz804 said:

I’ve never been able to figure out why people act like stripping is so difficult. Popping the stitches takes 20 minutes. It’s the adhesive, if anything, that causes some issues. 

*triple layer individually stitched.... On a WHITE air-knit, then add glue..... on a jersey you REALLY want  
These are the things nightmares are made of 

Just now, Hockey Bob said:

*triple layer individually stitched.... On a WHITE air-knit, then add glue..... on a jersey you REALLY want  
These are the things nightmares are made of 

That would take longer lol. 

• 4 months later...

Any next steps recommendations for a first timer making a strip job attempt on an ultrafill jersey? All I have done so far is distich the kit and peel away. No solvents or heat was used.

20210501_11584720210501_12000520210501_11592620210501_115932

Edited by EMkicks
needed to post photos correctly

16 hours ago, EMkicks said:

Any next steps recommendations for a first timer making a strip job attempt on an ultrafill jersey? All I have done so far is distich the kit and peel away. No solvents or heat was used.

Curious if you read any of the pages in this thread since it goes through the entire process start to finish...

Next steps would be using something like acetone/VLR/goo gone and a towel/toothbrush to scrub. Oh, and patience. 

• 6 months later...

If anybody is still looking here… anyone have any luck/ideas on how to remove acetone stains? I stripped a jersey but there’s clearly some residue toward the outside of what I stripped. Tried rubbing it with more acetone and ran it through the wash twice. No luck 

19 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

If anybody is still looking here… anyone have any luck/ideas on how to remove acetone stains? I stripped a jersey but there’s clearly some residue toward the outside of what I stripped. Tried rubbing it with more acetone and ran it through the wash twice. No luck 

If the stain is from the acetone, then washing the jersey after the original acetone has already dried and set doesn’t seem to work, at least for me.  What I’ve done is to hold the jersey under a faucet, wet the affected area with cold water, then apply a fairly generous amount of acetone, rub the wettened affected areas together for a few seconds, and then immediately rinse thoroughly with cold water BEFORE the acetone dries.  You may have to repeat this, and you may end up getting a large portion of the jersey wet.  After rinsing out all the acetone, hang dry.  This has worked for me many times.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, LAK74 said:

If the stain is from the acetone, then washing the jersey after the original acetone has already dried and set doesn’t seem to work, at least for me.  What I’ve done is to hold the jersey under a faucet, wet the affected area with cold water, then apply a fairly generous amount of acetone, rub the wettened affected areas together for a few seconds, and then immediately rinse thoroughly with cold water BEFORE the acetone dries.  You may have to repeat this, and you may end up getting a large portion of the jersey wet.  After rinsing out all the acetone, hang dry.  This has worked for me many times.

I've used this exact method when I get discoloration from using Goof Off. 
Cold water is good