How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

Everyone uses an adhesive to secure the letters/numbers down while sewing, you just never know how much they used until you strip it. Never stripped a Cosby jersey so I can't say.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not trying to be a jerk but I just stripped the name off a jersey foul and they came right off, no residue at all. The edge of the letters were a little snug but I just attributed that to them being on the jersey for a long time. Once I got the edge up a little the letter would peel right off no prob, just an outline one the jersey that ironed right out within seconds.

Unless there is an adhesive that is super light in nature.

I have another jersey coming soon I'm thinking of striping the numbers off.

Edited by Richter9377

• 3 months later...

Stripped this off with steam. Probably went a bit faster than I should have. Already tried goo gone. What are my other options

H6WO8WO.jpg

Edited by aroomadoomie

Acetone like nail polish remover or a different kind?

Was an asham. I picked up for 30$ I wanted to put Marty on.

Out of curiosity, why would you even use steam? That sounds like a bad idea. Glue plus heat and/or moisture probably just makes it worse.

They were glued pretty solidly down. I needed something to get the glue to let go. How would you have done it?

Also...nail polish remover? Yes?

No. Buy acetone from a hardware store or something.

You could try goof off as well.

Edited by JoeM7392

Wont bleach the blue or anything?

Shouldn't, but try it in a safe spot first. I usually use the inner side of the bottom hem, double thick fabric there.

Goof off or goo gone? Big difference for this stuff.

Edited by JoeM7392

Put the numbers you took off back on and re-sell it. Your not gonna get that stuff off.

When numbers are stuck on like that, use pure acetone in behind BEFORE trying to remove 'em...wait 30 seconds to a minute and they'll fall right off...then use some more with a toothbrush to remove the rest.

I am attempting my first jersey stripping tonight, so I am super thankful that this thread came up during some google searching. (I haven't been on this board in forever). I have a blue Tyler Myers Sabres jersey that I am hoping to turn into a blank one before I go to my first ever NHL game in November. Thanks for all the tips and I'll try to post pics of the before and after.

Edited by Sabrebat

I am attempting my first jersey stripping tonight, so I am super thankful that I this thread came up during some google searching. (I haven't been on this board in forever). I have a blue Tyler Myers Sabres jersey that I am hoping to turn into a blank one before I go to my first ever NHL game in November. Thanks for all the tips and I'll try to post pics of the before and after.

Good luck! I stripped my first (an EDGE 1.0) about 3 weeks ago... really took my time on it (about 9 hours total, 3 hour sessions spread across 3 days) and it came out flawless with no snags / no rips / no pulls. hopefully you can do it just as good in 3 hours or less as most people here do.

Edited by DHD28

So I was able to complete phase one of the jersey stripping and get the nameplate and all of the numbers removed. I tried to be slow and careful, but still managed to nick the jersey in 3 spots and open up 3 small holes which I now have to stitch up. (2 around the name plate, one around the big 5 on the back.) There wasn't a ton of glue behind the nameplate or the chest numbers, but there was some on the sleeve numbers and a crap ton on the back numbers. I bought some Goof Off and we have a civic holiday tomorrow, so I'll take the jersey outside and see if I can get some of the glue off.

20263718606_a5e2892382_c.jpg

20281617732_3fb6c8fee2_c.jpg

20289980225_d66c6118a1_b.jpg

20103353149_1dc13c7ef1_b.jpg

Edited by Sabrebat

Try putting a rag t-shirt over the glue spots and using a scorching hot iron over that. The heat should transfer some of the glue off the material and onto the t-shirt. That should get some of it off but it won't get rid of the pilling.

The Goof Off won't help too much more but it might end up staining the material so be careful using it.

I'm considering changing a crest on one of my jerseys. I've read that people have changed crests, but I was just wondering how easy it is. Crests are probably quite heavily glued on and the crest definitely feels like it's still pretty well attached, so is it worth the hassle. The jerseys is a late 80's CCM air knit, if it matters.

Same crest going back on? I replaced an early 90s devils on white ultrafil and it wasn't too bad, just heated it up a bit with an iron and it peeled right off.

There was some glue residue left that I didn't bother with because it was going to be covered again, so I can't say how easy of a time you'll have there.

Not the exact same crest, but a similar one. I think I might then try it, but did somebody here say that heating the glue would only make things worse? Can't remember the topic and the subject...

So the results of my first jersey stripping were mixed. The numbers on the front and sleeve cleaned up very nicely. However the back numbers gave me no end of trouble. I tried to be patient and let the Goof Off do its work and when I did, the glue residue came off with a little bit of effort. But after awhile I got too impatient and didn't let the jersey soak long enough and started scrubbing too hard. This ended up causing alot of damage to jersey and basically now its ruined. I might be able to wear it while playing rec hockey or something, but it looks too shabby to wear out in public. Oh Well, lesson learned. Let the chemicals do their work and don't scrub too hard!!

20408318865_db010e4e29_b.jpg

20220341588_c1d64c0a63_z.jpg

20220272920_d84780775e.jpg

20221682619_61a3030f4d_c.jpg

Not the exact same crest, but a similar one. I think I might then try it, but did somebody here say that heating the glue would only make things worse? Can't remember the topic and the subject...

I've heard differing opinions on that, but I never had an issue when I did it. I doubt you're going to make 25 year old glue hold any tighter to the fabric. The other option is hit the back of the crest with some acetone to soften it, but you might risk some color running there.