How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

I've had a lot of luck stripping jerseys in the past but took on a difficult project over the weekend (1985 Bruins black Ultrafil). Lots of glue residue and ghosting. 2 steps that were lifesavers:

1. Goof Off. This was my first time using it. You can't compare it to Goo Gone. This stuff is amazing. Took the advice on this forum and used a generous amount along with a soft toothbrush. Took my time and had great results. I was worried at one point when the Goof Off dripped from the sleeve number area to the gold stripe, leaving what looked like a permanent stain. But it washed right out.

2. Steam iron. This eliminated most of the ghosting. When finished, I washed the jersey again and applied the steam iron again. Always inside out. Repeat as often as needed (I always applied the iron to a damp jersey, fresh out of the washer).

There's still some minor ghosting (black jerseys are always the worst) but won't be noticed once the new numbers and nameplate are applied.

This forum was a timesaver as well as a quality saver!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone tried to strip a Reebok 6100 L.A. Kings jersey? They have direct sewn names and it honestly scares me.

It's mostly whoever did the original customization and how much adhesive they used that will determine how easy or difficult it will be. Removing individual letters instead of a nameplate leaves you with the same risk of leftover residue that you get with removing numbers. You just have to hope you can get it all off, or at least cover most of it with the new characters.

Edited by LAK74

I stripped indeed a Kings 6100 lately and the silver name letters gave me quite a hard time, buuuuuut nothing some good old acetone couldn't fix!!! :)

One letter left a slight silvery touch, but will be covered by the new lettering.

Perfect, it's a gamer of a no name player (played 2 NHL games total) that I want to change into another player.

• 3 weeks later...

First time stripping a jersey and encountering this much glue residue outlines. I tried the steam iron approach and didn't have any luck with the glue, so I'm going to order some Goof Off and give that a go. Jersey still has tags and I had hoped on selling it, so I can't really throw it in the wash which complicates things a bit. Here's the in-progress shots - and much like Bernier himself, it's a project and may never recover.

23442531720_6b4a54ed7b.jpg

23655911271_17a2f0f508_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anybody has ever tried removing any factory embroidered stuff, like say the NHL shield from the rear hem of a 90s ultrafil. I'm assuming it will be extremely difficult and incredibly tedious, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Any opinions?

Good to hear that it's at least been done by someone. Gives me a little more confidence going into it. I'll have to just make sure I go really slow and easy with it.

That is probably a massive pain in the axx as it is thousands of stitches in various directions of the embroidery. Would say doable, but tremendously nerve-racking.

That is probably a massive pain in the axx as it is thousands of stitches in various directions of the embroidery. Would say doable, but tremendously nerve-racking.

This sounds correct. But I know what Joe's plan is and it will be less time consuming and more successful than waiting for a big block CCM Ultrafil without the shield.

I've done it a couple times. Do everything from the back side and be very careful not to cut the ultrafil. it can be hard to tell when your hitting the actual jersey material because of all the stitching. Also, you will see a very slight outline in the ultrafil once your done no matter how much you iron it.

Has anyone ever stripped the crest off of a Reebok premier jersey? Are the crests sewn down or adhesive? How hard is it to remove? Is there glue residue?

Thanks in advance.

I was able to get one off of an old CCM, but I replaced it with a larger version of the same one. I'm not sure I would have been able to remove the glue residue if I tried. They use some strong stuff on the ones that aren't sewn down.

Has anyone ever stripped the crest off of a Reebok premier jersey? Are the crests sewn down or adhesive? How hard is it to remove? Is there glue residue?

Thanks in advance.

I think I remember someone saying that it was next to impossible to do it cleanly on a Premier, but I am only going by memory. I have never tried it.

Alright, I needed this NHL shield gone. Figured it may help somebody in the future so I took some pictures. Very happy with the result, and it only took about an hour. Have a spare seam ripper on hand, I broke one in the process.

So here we go...

My starting point, nothing out of the ordinary here:

IMAG2361_1.jpg

Went for the orange first since it was the top most layer on both sides, just ran a seam ripper under the threads like any other strip job:

IMAG2363_1.jpg

No change outside yet:

IMAG2364.jpg

Top layer on its way off, some I could pull loose, some were still attached on the underside:

IMAG2365_1.jpgIMAG2366.jpg

Starting to see some red under here. This step is the first time I brought the seam ripper to the outside. You can see the black thread in a grid pattern under everything and that was preventing any further progress from the backside:

IMAG2367.jpg

Edited by JoeM7392

Really opening up now, still some grid stuff here and some on the back:

IMAG2368.jpgIMAG2369.jpg

Finally got one whole edge to separate. The edges were the hardest part, they seemed double thick. took me a while to figure it out. I was using a small pair of pliers to pull gently on the loose threads since I had already stripped this whole jersey and my fingers were killing me:

IMAG2370.jpgIMAG2371_1.jpg

And done, finally:

IMAG2373_1.jpgIMAG2374.jpg

I took it very slowly and only caught the ultrafil once or twice on the backside, which is no big deal. I dread having to do the same thing on white ultrafil, the white backing on the red helped tremendously on this one. A quick ironing with steam helped close some of the pores left in the fabric and I have it going through the wash right now. I'll post a close up of it when its done.

Sorry if I went overboard on the pictures, figured it'd be better to have too many than not enough. Here's the finished product after a good wash. You cant tell anything was there from more than a foot away.

IMAG2377.jpgIMAG2378.jpg

And the carnage.

IMAG2375_1.jpg

Looks awesome so far. Can't wait to see the finished jersey.