slimcutta

How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

526 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Kincaid521 said:

Thank you guys for the advice, I really appreciate it. So do you think it'd be a waste for me to grab some Goo Gone or Goof Off and I should just go with acetone? At least in my particular case. 

Goo Gone does nothing but make your jersey smell like an orange. 

15 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I have had 2 experiences with applying heat to glue residue, where some of the glue seems to vaporize and disappear, but a film of residue is left on the surface of the jersey, which does not come off with either acetone or Goof-Off.  Maybe that's what Josh meant.  I'm not planning to do that anymore.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  Maybe I'd be smart to stop steaming out the stitch lines before I do the cleaning. 

I prefer acetone over goof off.  I don't like the smell of goof off. 

6 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.  Maybe I'd be smart to stop steaming out the stitch lines before I do the cleaning. 

I prefer acetone over goof off.  I don't like the smell of goof off. 

Any particular method you'd recommend for applying the acetone then? 

29 minutes ago, Kincaid521 said:

Any particular method you'd recommend for applying the acetone then? 

Whenever I use that, I make sure to put a towel inside the jersey, so that the acetone does not leak through to the other side. Then I use a rag, soak the tip in acetone, rub it into the jersey, and repeat. Then wash the towels and the jersey (inside out) together in cold water with a little detergent. Repeat this process as necessary to remove all of the residue.

2 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

Whenever I use that, I make sure to put a towel inside the jersey, so that the acetone does not leak through to the other side. Then I use a rag, soak the tip in acetone, rub it into the jersey, and repeat. Then wash the towels and the jersey (inside out) together in cold water with a little detergent. Repeat this process as necessary to remove all of the residue.

This is my method to a T

9 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

This is my method to a T

+1 same here. 

Awesome, makes me feel a ton better when you guys all agree on the method haha. Thanks again everybody!

What kind of T???

6YKoTYA.gif

Anyone ever stripped a baseball jersey with kiss cut and patches? Specifically the 2016 flex base jerseys?

33 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Anyone ever stripped a baseball jersey with kiss cut and patches? Specifically the 2016 flex base jerseys?

I have done cool base before and the material is fairly close. Flex Base seems even more fragile so I would suggest going slow if you have to strip it. Any mistake and your in the smack dab in the middle of pillingville. 

1 hour ago, Committed said:

I have done cool base before and the material is fairly close. Flex Base seems even more fragile so I would suggest going slow if you have to strip it. Any mistake and your in the smack dab in the middle of pillingville. 

Are names/numbers strictly sewn on or is adhesive also involved?

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

1 hour ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Are names/numbers strictly sewn on or is adhesive also involved?

I would assume that depends on who put 'em on, but most professional customizers tack it down with the adhesive and then sew. 

Stripping Cool Base is a disaster. I imagine the Flex Base stuff would have the same results.

On 2/2/2017 at 0:15 PM, Committed said:

After a closer look and the replies on here I am not pursuing this avenue. 

15 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

After a closer look and the replies on here I am not pursuing this avenue. 

I'm thinking that's wise. 

I recently stripped a white ultrafil, from what I imagine was a gamer from the mid 90s. It was white with red lettering. 

The jersey is a dingy as it was pretty hammered. Ive stripped and used what seemed like a few gallons if acetone and steamed out the stitch marks etc.  

From 2 feet it looks perfect.  However from a foot or so in you can still see the lightest outline from where the stitches were, still ever so faintly pink.  I imagine its mostly from the rest of the jersey yellowing and the numbers being there for 20+ years. 

It will be renumbered, I'm just torn between one more session of acetone.  

What is the final expectation on a white ultrafil after 20 years, is getting it perfectly removed unobtainable? 

Thanks!

After reading all the 21 pages of this topic, I decided to take on my first project, a white Sabres 1.0, before I send it away for customization. After starting with the arm numbers to get the feeling in I got more and more in the groove. The first pair of arm numbers came of easily, leaving just a little residue outline that I think will get away in a wash. The first back number went of quickly without struggle, while leaving an outline from the yellow part. I do hope it goes away without struggle later, which I think it will given some of the pictures posted in here. Half the jersey numbers + nameplate and captains C left to remove. But that will be for another day.

With that said. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked. I've never attempted stripping customizations from a jersey, and have read some good tips here and elsewhere I'm a little nervous about attempting it. The jersey in question is an CCM Ultrafil pro jersey from the late '80's/early 90's. The color is black with gold letters on the back, and sleeves are gold with black letters (penguins). I don't intend to re-customize it ... i was thinking to leave it blank. I was wondering with this style jersey if it's likely that there will be some faint traces of the customization if i leave it blank or if it's really not a good idea to do this unless i planned on putting a new set of numbers/name plate on it to cover up the old work. I'm also a bit nervous about damaging the ultrafil so any other tips stripping from this material would be appreciated.

Thanks

My advice, 
Go Slow! 

Ultrafil is the easiest to strip (in my experience) 

Get it stripped and let us know if there is any shadowing or glue residue and we'll work from there 

Invest in a good seam ripper to cut the stitching and if the #'s don't come right off try pulling the fabric or stretch it. 
Don't try and rip the whole stretch at once, you may end up pushing too hard and poking a hole in the material

Start slow and you'll get the feel 

Good luck  

Edited by Hockey Bob

I would only add, plan on re-customizing, or at least be open to it. Ever the best glue removal/cleaning job can leave evidence of prior customization when stripped. 

Besides, customized jerseys are just cooler :)

And with something that old, odds are good that there is at least a small amount of sun bleaching. That means when the existing numbers come off, the color of the material behind them is brighter than the rest of the body. It's not a given but it's a distinct possibility.

Will Oxiclean get out glue residue from a stripped number? I am sure you all remember the stripping job that took me 40 hours to de-stitch. I finally want to get this jersey up to Keener.  

No, Oxyclean works great on getting stains out, but for glue, get Acetone.  Just make sure you wear a mask and gloves - it's strong stuff.  But it doesn't leave a residue and it drys super fast.

I use Acetone first with an old rag, you sometime have to scrub hard, and you might have to go over areas a few times, but the glue will break up.  Once I get it where I am happy, I give it a nice soaking in Oxyclean and warm water.  Just let it sit in there for a half hour, you will be surprised at how dirty the water will be. After that, I throw it into the wash, cold water setting and the lowest spin cycle you have.  You should have a nice clean jersey when you are done. In fact, anytime I buy a used jersey, I do these last two step regardless of how clean the jersey looks to me.  Oxyclean is awesome at getting a jersey super clean!!!

Thanks! I will Acetone this one clean then before I use Oxiclean. I've been needing to complete this project for a long time and plus, it's Keener so we know it'll look great in the end. 

Get butyl rubber or latex gloves. Nitrile gloves turn to mush in minutes with acetone and it penetrates even faster than that. Didn't realize how quickly it happens until I was working with it in bulk at work.