slimcutta

How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

535 posts in this topic

Thanks @JoeM7392 for the tip on the gloves. I used a pair of latex gloves last night to scrub the last bits of adhesive out. I got a little ambitious with the acetone in one spot and left a slight mark on the fabric that I'll treat with OxiClean today.

The cleaning has come along nicely. The problem is that I pilled the heck out of the jersey in parts when I removed the stitching. I have a box o' jerseys on my way up to Keener, including this one. Hopefully when Keener does this jersey up, it will cover some of the nicks to the material. The biggest concern was with the nameplate, I left two or three 1/2 inch holes along the outer area of the plate where the stitching was. Lesson learned to be more careful. 

I came across a new one today.  I stripped a jersey, and you can tell they used actual glue to hold the numbers down before they stitched them.  Not the adhesive on the twill, actual glue.  I'm not sure if it was from a hot glue gun, or something else, but it has sucked to get off the jersey.  I went through almost a full can of acetone, but I got the glue off.  I going to have to go over it again to try and get all the adhesive residue off, and I'm not sure it will be possible. I might try goof off to remember the rest.  I just hope the proper lettering will cover any discrepancies.  I was going to switch numbers to a different players, but I am not sure that will be possible.  Anyone come across something like this?

I have a Montreal Canadians home white the looks like someone just hammered it with glue that resists everything I have hit it with (acetone, goofoff, thinking of trying gasoline and a match)

I now use it as a tester for new chemicals as I find them to see how it will affect the material

It's sad because aside from the glue all over the back it's a really nice old jersey.

On 8/3/2017 at 3:56 PM, spudrock512 said:

I came across a new one today.  I stripped a jersey, and you can tell they used actual glue to hold the numbers down before they stitched them.  Not the adhesive on the twill, actual glue.  I'm not sure if it was from a hot glue gun, or something else, but it has sucked to get off the jersey.  I went through almost a full can of acetone, but I got the glue off.  I going to have to go over it again to try and get all the adhesive residue off, and I'm not sure it will be possible. I might try goof off to remember the rest.  I just hope the proper lettering will cover any discrepancies.  I was going to switch numbers to a different players, but I am not sure that will be possible.  Anyone come across something like this?

I had one like that once. Turn it inside out and you could see the swirls of glue they used. 

Who has stripped a Meigray jersey before? I have two from my recent Keener haul, a gamer and a GI, that I stripped and had re-done. I need to remove the Meigray tag from the inside hem. Any issues or considerations before I perform the operation? 

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Who has stripped a Meigray jersey before? I have two from my recent Keener haul, a gamer and a GI, that I stripped and had re-done. I need to remove the Meigray tag from the inside hem. Any issues or considerations before I perform the operation? 

Like everything else, I seam ripper, and some patience. I've stripped every type of jersey you can imagine. 

I've never bothered to remove the MeiGray tag. I probably should.

Anyone know if they are glued down, or are they just sewn?

Edited by mfitz804

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I've never bothered to remove the MeiGray tag. I probably should.

Anyone know if they are glued down, or are they just sewn?

Just sewn. 

I'm removing the tags on the very unlikely chance I'll ever sell them. I don't want anyone to think they're gamers. The one was the Philadelphia Flyers Boucher (originally a Maxime Ouellet) and the other was the Binghamton Senators Elliott (which Keener has graciously agreed to fix and that was originally worn by Shawn Collymore). I just feel like it's a natural part of the process of making it my own jersey to remove the last vestiges of the old jersey. 

I want to change this into a goalie jersey. Is it worth stripping or should I just sell this one and find a blank? 8Xb9vNQl.jpg