How To STRIP A JERSEY 101

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sucks that the "official" store of the NHL can mess up something that badly. Personally I'd be on the phone with them demanding a refund or asking them to fix it.

Well the nameplate itself can easily be torn off because I tried to see how it was applied and I easily torn a corner off it so that was probably heat pressed, the letters were sewn onto the nameplate.

I'm surprised the letters were sewn onto the nameplate. Are the numbers stitched too, or do they have those fake printed stitches on them? Just curious.

The numbers are sewn onto the jersey, I have no problem with them just the nameplate itself. I was wondering if I could just send the jersey to icejerseys and have them put "McDonagh" on it.

You could do that as well, but if you're happy with the quality of the customization it seems that you can make an argument that they customized it incorrectly due to the radially-cut letters and the large C. If you show them a photo of the correct arched letters and small C, they might redo it for you at no charge. If you send it to IceJerseys, they will charge you for the plate, you'll pay shipping both ways (possibly international, which could cost you quite a bit), and they may even charge you a small additional fee due to the jersey not being purchased from them. Also it's possible the twill colors on the plate letters may not exactly match that of the numbers. I've had 2 nameplate redo jobs done by a customizer different from the one who did the numbers, and in both cases the twill was noticeably different-looking in color and finish.

I would echo what LAK74 has said. Have you tried contacting the NHL Shop? It's possible they will correct it (no idea as I've never personally dealt with them on this stuff), and that would ensure that the colors and materials match up well. It also, of course, reduces the extra costs you'd have to pay.

Apparently NHL shop prints all their custom jerseys like that in caps and there's nothing they can do on their end since that's how reebok prints the jerseys for them :mellow:. Well it's safe to say I won't be shopping there anymore.

. Problem is they made the "C" capital.

Problem is they customized it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have came up with 3 solutions to my mcdonagh jersey problem. I can either send the jersey to icejerseys and have them fix it, order a pro tackle kit from coolhockey.com and put on the new nameplate myself or I can send it to exclusivepro.com and have them replace the nameplate. I emailed them and they said they can remove the nameplate for $10 and replace it for $25 which is pretty cheap but I'm not sure about their service.

I may be a bit biased here but if you ask CoolHockey to make you a new name kit I wouldn't be surprised if it was just as messed up as the original plate. As for EPS, they do excellent quality work (although turnaround time can be quite long), and if you mention the issues about the small C and the arched lettering I'm quite sure they can do it right. I will, however, mention again the possibility of the color of the letter twill not exactly matching that of the existing numbers.

I'm not too worried about the colors not exactly matching, as long as they get the arching and the small c right I have no problems. So I guess I'll go with EPS cause it's pretty cheap just for a nameplate replacement.

I'm not too worried about the colors not exactly matching, as long as they get the arching and the small c right I have no problems. So I guess I'll go with EPS cause it's pretty ###### cheap just for a nameplate replacement.

And you'll still have to wait 2-3 months

Well if EPS is that good and they replace nameplates that cheap wouldn't it be worth the wait?

That's a question only you could answer. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this thread is really informative although I'm afraid of these projects because with my luck I'd rip the jersey. Is this one worth being a fixer upper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patrick-Roy-Montreal-Canadiens-Jersey-Authentic-On-Ice-Size-48-CCM-Ultrafil-/231144945930?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item35d14ff90a

I want a Roy ultrafil but the customization is off

That seems like a lot of money for something you're going to strip. Why not buy this one and save yourself the trouble if you're willing to spend that much?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTREAL-CANADIENS-Authentic-Jersey-CCM-Center-Ice-48-Fight-Strap-Ultrafil-Habs-/191053805773?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

That seems like a lot of money for something you're going to strip. Why not buy this one and save yourself the trouble if you're willing to spend that much?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONTREAL-CANADIENS-Authentic-Jersey-CCM-Center-Ice-48-Fight-Strap-Ultrafil-Habs-/191053805773?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Thanks for the link. Definitely going to mull it over.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HELP, I have been screwed over :angry: by River City Sports 15 years ago with this, and only found out about it today.

https://flic.kr/p/mFt3cH

I need some suggestion, do I try to get RCS to stand behind their so-called expert work , or do I strip it myself, thanks.
A place Burke's Sports Lettering in TX was recommended to me for re-do, but they don't strip .
I sense it's going to take a major undertaking to make this right.
Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Edited by joed1969

Have any of you guys used those pre sewn tackle twill jersey kits before? I'm thinking of customizing one of my blank jerseys myself.

Sorry just now noticed your post from last month. That looks like one of the kits that Cool Hockey sells. I personally would advise against buying a kit like that simply because from the description they sew the name onto a tackle twill nameplate, even for teams that don't use nameplates.

Considering they charge $60 for those kits, it's not like you're even saving money. In the end it's always best to try to use the original team customizer if you can, if not go with someplace like EPS or Ice Jerseys and send the jersey in. It may cost you a bit more but the quality is worth it in the long run.

HELP, I have been screwed over :angry: by River City Sports 15 years ago with this, and only found out about it today.

I need some suggestion, do I try to get RCS to stand behind their so-called expert work , or do I strip it myself, thanks.

After 15 years I think you're out of luck going back to RCS. Even though it looks like it still has the tags on it and even if you had all of your receipts etc. I think it would difficult to get a company to fix a mistake after that long. Heck the people that did the customization at RCS may not even work there any more.

As for getting it stripped and fixed, EPS could strip it and fix it for you.

Why would you wait 15 years to complain about a error. I'm not an expert on stars jerseys so what is wrong with it?

I'm not an expert on stars jerseys so what is wrong with it?

Apart from the lack of a nameplate, just some minor inaccuracies in the font. The letters are a bit too wide, with the O and D clipped too much on the corners. The M and A are off as well, and the lower part of the arm 9's should have a bigger gap in them.

I know Modano was an alternate captain that year, but did he actually wear the A on that particular jersey in the Finals? I'm not sure.