Plane crash in Russia involving KHL team

Krendelev

This is devestating news for fans of Russian hockey. This has been my favorite team for around 15 years now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Plane-crash-kills-8216-majority-8217-?urn=nhl-wp11993

Kinda reminds me of the disaster in 1949 with the italian soccer giants Torino.

For those who don't know, they were nicknamed "Grande Torino" and the Italian national team starting eleven in the 40s consisted of the starting lineup of this team. (except for the goalie, who was a reserve on the national team)

needless to say they set all kinds of records in italian football which still stand.....and it was quite the sad day much like this is today.....

This has truly been a horrible summer for hockey.

Tragic. One of my first thoughts was the Marshall football team. Later on, when I heard more details, McCrimmon and Korolev were the names that jumped out for me.

Thoughts and prayers to the families, friends and the league.

It took me a few days to deal with this, but here is my blog entry on Demitra and the crash.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2011/09/2006-07-minnesota-wild-pavol-demitra.html

Kinda reminds me of the disaster in 1949 with the italian soccer giants Torino.

For those who don't know, they were nicknamed "Grande Torino" and the Italian national team starting eleven in the 40s consisted of the starting lineup of this team. (except for the goalie, who was a reserve on the national team)

needless to say they set all kinds of records in italian football which still stand.....and it was quite the sad day much like this is today.....

Il Grande Torino was the first thing I thought of when I read about it actually. :( My nonno actually saw them play before the Superga crash.

Absolutely terrible. Korolev and Karpovtsev were two of my favourite players with the Leafs, which really hits home. :( This has been an unbelievably depressing summer to be a hockey fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the KHL store still going to make the special or memorial t shirts for sale? I read or heard a week or so after and haven't heard anything since.