Another reason to dislike Reebok

OR68

WOW.

I seriously don't understand the logic behind Reebok's marketing team.

Has anyone found a resource outside of Facebook for contacting them directly either with a petition or feedback that actually gets listened to?

How hard is it to

A ) Make a Premier jersey for the average fan which is identical to what the player wear on the ice with the exception of double elbows, fight strap, and airknit material, and sell that at the $89.99 or $159.99 level for blank or crested.

B ) Sell the IDENTICAL product as worn by the players on the ice. $199.99 blank and $269.99 crested.

SIMPLE. Everyone gets what they want. Don't need any fancy fanwear custom black ice garbage, and if you sell an "Authentic" it better be what the players wear. A team should be able to walk into a hockey shop, by an authentic off the rack and give it to a player to go out and wear on the ice that same night. Anything less than that IS NOT AUTHENTIC.

Sorry, got a little heated, just P'd off with something that you think would be so simple to understand.

WOW.

I seriously don't understand the logic behind Reebok's marketing team.

Has anyone found a resource outside of Facebook for contacting them directly either with a petition or feedback that actually gets listened to?

How hard is it to

A ) Make a Premier jersey for the average fan which is identical to what the player wear on the ice with the exception of double elbows, fight strap, and airknit material, and sell that at the $89.99 or $159.99 level for blank or crested.

B ) Sell the IDENTICAL product as worn by the players on the ice. $199.99 blank and $269.99 crested.

SIMPLE. Everyone gets what they want. Don't need any fancy fanwear custom black ice garbage, and if you sell an "Authentic" it better be what the players wear. A team should be able to walk into a hockey shop, by an authentic off the rack and give it to a player to go out and wear on the ice that same night. Anything less than that IS NOT AUTHENTIC.

Sorry, got a little heated, just P'd off with something that you think would be so simple to understand.

That sumed it up pretty well. These are just against all jersey logic. They did this with football and basketball jerseys too and there all garbage. For the most part, I heavily disliked all those starter fashion jerseys as they look just awkward (although i personally liked the Tie Down Red Rangers one which is the exception) and these are worse. The last good authentic was during the 06-07 season.

+1

I was willing to give Reebok a pass on the 1.0's because technically the teams did use them but if the speculation with the new jerseys is true then I don't know how Reebok is allowed to call them authentic on ice jerseys.

The quality of an Edge against all of the older styles is far inferior. Feels like a cyclist's jersey not a hockey one. I was hopin to be able to snag a Pens 2.0 off the shelf but it's lookin like that's not gonna be the case at all. Also wouldn't be shocked to see the price get jacked up again to cover "losses" on the fakes.

The quality of an Edge against all of the older styles is far inferior. Feels like a cyclist's jersey not a hockey one. I was hopin to be able to snag a Pens 2.0 off the shelf but it's lookin like that's not gonna be the case at all. Also wouldn't be shocked to see the price get jacked up again to cover "losses" on the fakes.

Seriously, dude, check out J&J...you could probably snag a rookie camp jersey, strip and re-customize it and still drop less cash than you would on a "new" retail 2.0. Their website is a Netscape-era nightmare, but the product and communication is solid.

I was just thinking about this today, the Canadian junior teams have far superior jerseys, the Rockets are even sporting CCM logos again this year.

ECHL has reebok jerseys that are not edge designs and are still shaped like old CCM jerseys.

Why are the big boys getting the big bone?

As shocking as it is, Reebok is actually very aware of what the complaints against them are. The question is to what extent, and whose opinions are they listening to?

To answer the first question, I'd guess that it's 50:50. We'd all love to see Pro Player-grade replicas and authentics of the highest quality, but Reebok has the exclusive contract. Frankly, there's no reason to go high-end or high-quality if huge numbers of people are buying something of lesser quality despite the price point. Reebok happened to have the good fortune of falling into the revitalization of Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, and Vancouver, all of which have not only large fan bases, but huge numbers of long-dormant fans who had never bought a jersey between 1995 and 2005. There was no reason to cater to people who were going to buy regardless of quantity and regardless of price.

To answer the second question, it's not our opinions. We represent the one-half of one percent, and that's a very generous estimate. If there's a huge backlash against a particular look, a particular quality, or a particular price point, it absolutely affects things. Hell, the NHL has had a rule since Bettman took office about how often a team can change their look, and that was set aside for the Islanders. But the real opinions that they'll listen to are team officials and whoever is in charge of retail and merchandising. If there are fan complaints in any real number, or there's something that is of such low quality that it will not be stocked out of fear of fan complaints (or dead stock through the non-buying public), you'd better believe they're sitting up and listening.

I'll give you two examples. As is known, Reebok acquired the exclusive contract for the NHL around the time of the second lockout. They immediately announced that they were going toward a "form fitting" jersey. Six months later, there's a report that comes out that says that every team was being forced into a three-color palette, and that there would be one of two templates to choose from for jersey styles. The backlash was enormous; this would mean Detroit and Toronto adding a color, and several others removing one (or several). When the Edge was released (2006-07 All-Star game), it was nothing like what the initial reports were. No one has ever been able to pinpoint where that report came from....it's very possible that it was released by Reebok itself through an "anonymous source" to gauge public reaction. It's also possible that someone else cooked something else to basically trigger the expected reaction, which would act as a pre-emptive warning to Reebok.

The second example deals with that very All-Star game. If you remember those, the authentics were the first Edge, and the replicas were the first Premier. But if you don't remember the details, the authentics had the so-called jock tag on the front of the jersey, just with a numerical size on it. The replicas had a screen-printed twill crest, much like what the shoulder patches on the replicas actually are today. The prices were also something like $150-175 for a replica and $350 for an authentic. By the time teams actually released theirs for the following season, the following changes were made:

- The size tag on the authentics was removed, but it remained on the replicas

- The replicas now had an embroidered crest instead of a screened twill one, but the shoulder patches are screened twill

- The price points dropped by 20-25%

They also listened to complaints regarding the womens' jerseys. The previous ones were very tight-fitting (like a cycling jersey) and had the standard stiff as a board CCM embroidered crest on them, which would protrude depending on the endowment of the woman. When the initial womens' replicas came out, they were the same material as the regular replicas, but with heat-pressed trim that obviously wasn't anywhere close to that stiffness. After a year or two, enough women complained about it that Reebok went back to the embroidered crests.

But yes, Reebok listens. Just make sure you complain to the right person (the retail/merchandise head) about it, because otherwise crap will be stocked and sold in lieu of a quality product.

I was just thinking about this today, the Canadian junior teams have far superior jerseys, the Rockets are even sporting CCM logos again this year.

ECHL has reebok jerseys that are not edge designs and are still shaped like old CCM jerseys.

Why are the big boys getting the big bone?

It's about quantity more than anything. Junior authentics usually aren't ordered beyond a number that the team would use (plus a few extras); many team shops don't touch them at all. The low minor leagues is usually the same, unless there's a massive fan base and a stable ownership situation (Oklahoma City Blazers and Quad City Mallards come to mind, in days gone by). Even the high minor leagues don't usually carry large numbers of jerseys because they don't do much in the way of online jersey commerce.

The NHL is quite a different story. The league has huge sales numbers, not only amongst their own fans in the building, but all over..."normal" retailers carry jerseys, department stores carry jerseys, and online sales numbers are enormous. If they can save $1 per jersey in production, it makes little difference for the smaller teams...but when there are several thousand for each NHL team, that's another story.

Seriously, dude, check out J&J...you could probably snag a rookie camp jersey, strip and re-customize it and still drop less cash than you would on a "new" retail 2.0. Their website is a Netscape-era nightmare, but the product and communication is solid.

I check at every weekly update, just unsure of sizing. If a 56 is a possibility for me that opens up my options quite a bit. Who else do you know of that wear 54s outside of Sill, Caputi and Kennedy? I've inquired on a few but don't wanna send him a million emails. Aiming mainly for one that can become a Kennedy, but am not looking to buy at the moment.

I check at every weekly update, just unsure of sizing. If a 56 is a possibility for me that opens up my options quite a bit. Who else do you know of that wear 54s outside of Sill, Caputi and Kennedy? I've inquired on a few but don't wanna send him a million emails. Aiming mainly for one that can become a Kennedy, but am not looking to buy at the moment.

I wear a 52 in the 1.0's, but prefer 54 in the 2.0's...tho' I think I could swing a 56 if I had to. I'm about 6' 0", 190 lbs., if that helps!

I know what you mean about the tire-kicking...seems I've sent him about a dozen emails about one thing or another. But, I've bought two jerseys, so I don't feel too bad! One'a these days when I get that man-cave I'll spring for one of his high-ticket items.

There are a couple NNOB jerseys on the list...numbered 27 and 28. I emailed him thinking if the #27 was a 54 I'd snag it and make it a Craig Adams Cup jersey. Turns out the #28 is a 56 and the #27 is a 58. Still mulling it over.

Those are so idiotic. My friend pointed them out to me at the team store at the game against the Jackets on Monday and I just assumed they were ladies "fashion" jerseys. Why a guy would guy a jersey like that is besides me. Then again, Reebok has made some smart marketing decisions, like making a full line of green St. Pats stuff for every team. I saw that stuff everywhere. I used to like going to the St. Pats Hawks game cause you would get a give away green hat with the logo and it was unique. Now all you see is terrible green replica jerseys and hats galore.

It's about quantity more than anything. Junior authentics usually aren't ordered beyond a number that the team would use (plus a few extras); many team shops don't touch them at all. The low minor leagues is usually the same, unless there's a massive fan base and a stable ownership situation (Oklahoma City Blazers and Quad City Mallards come to mind, in days gone by). Even the high minor leagues don't usually carry large numbers of jerseys because they don't do much in the way of online jersey commerce.

The NHL is quite a different story. The league has huge sales numbers, not only amongst their own fans in the building, but all over..."normal" retailers carry jerseys, department stores carry jerseys, and online sales numbers are enormous. If they can save $1 per jersey in production, it makes little difference for the smaller teams...but when there are several thousand for each NHL team, that's another story.

What i am saying is even the gamers have decreased significantly in quality this year. You would think the NHL would have "the pull" or something to demand a high quality product. Minor league and junior teams should not be better outfitted than the top tier pros...but they are.

I guess the question remains...who is cheap? Did the NHL get cheap or did Reebok just cheapen everything because they had the contract?

I hate the Edge jerseys, despite every team having their own colours and logos etc, I feel like you can't distinguish the Edge jerseys. I really miss the days when team jerseys had its own identity. There's a reason why Reebok lost the NFL licence, next year, it's all Nike for the NFL and as far as jerseys go, I can't wait!.