Helmets to Have Uni Numbers On Front

KaneIsDirty

Looks like the NHL is mandating all players to start wearing their uni number on the front of the helmet too. So who is worse now the NHL or Reebok?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/6192057972_89dd99a642_o.png

Looks like the NHL is mandating all players to start wearing their uni number on the front of the helmet too. So who is worse now the NHL or Reebok?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/6192057972_89dd99a642_o.png

Awesome! Add in a few sponser patches and some bright shiny colors and it's NASCAR on ice.

Despite the fact the refs can see all the numbers that are currently on jerseys and helmets, most fans can identify players by their face alone... You would have to think that refs who do MORE than 82 games a season could easily identify players without even needing numbers, and in the off chance they do its not someones first inclination to say, "excuse me, can you tilt the top of your head towards me so I can see that 2 inch number on your cranium..."

I think the idea is more so for Television. If you think about it, people at the games won't be able to see that number from the stands, coaches obviously know who is who, and i'm sure refs do aswell.

It's probably another idea from the NHL to make it easier to fans who are new to the game to get acquainted with who is who since the majority of camera shots during non game play action is forward facing players which currently only shows the number of a player who has it on the front of the jersey (IE: San Jose).

Probably something to do with the Big TV deal trying to attract more US viewers who are accustomed to seeing numbers on the front in the NFL and the NBA

Despite the fact the refs can see all the numbers that are currently on jerseys and helmets, most fans can identify players by their face alone... You would have to think that refs who do MORE than 82 games a season could easily identify players without even needing numbers, and in the off chance they do its not someones first inclination to say, "excuse me, can you tilt the top of your head towards me so I can see that 2 inch number on your cranium..."

I think the idea is more so for Television. If you think about it, people at the games won't be able to see that number from the stands, coaches obviously know who is who, and i'm sure refs do aswell.

It's probably another idea from the NHL to make it easier to fans who are new to the game to get acquainted with who is who since the majority of camera shots during non game play action is forward facing players which currently only shows the number of a player who has it on the front of the jersey (IE: San Jose).

Probably something to do with the Big TV deal trying to attract more US viewers who are accustomed to seeing numbers on the front in the NFL and the NBA

Well thought out answer. :thumbsup:

Pretty sure the article on Puck Daddy said it is for the fans, as well as the broadcasters, to easily identify the players. Might buy a GU helmet this year now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Pass-or-Fail-Player-numbers-on-the-front-of-NHL?urn=nhl-wp13603

Just more proof that NHL head office does not have a clue, as if it was necessary... For nearly 20 years now they've been doing nothing but attempting to change the game to appeal to casual fans, and where has it gotten them? Onto the prestigious Outdoor Life Network, among other places. Maybe they should have the players' names written above their heads in the TV broadcasts like in EA Sports games to help the fans identify the players instead. :rolleyes:

Numbers I can live with, what urks me is seeing a be-u-tiful goalie mask with a stupid a$$ corporate logo right front and center -

That's no different than the manufacturers logo on gloves or sticks or skates. The players get their gear for free from the manufacturers in exchange for advertising the brand by wearing it on the ice.

I don't object to manufacturers putting their logo on stuff as long as it's not obnoxious or draws attention away from the equipment itself. The new Reebok wordmark on the jerseys for example is okay by me as long as they don't make it stand out to much (which they have failed to do).

i remember when the Bronco's switched to their newer uniforms (gone was the awesome orange crush and light blue) and with Nike running the uniform design, the stripe down the side of the jersey and pants made a perfect Nike swoosh when the linemen got into their 3 point stance. not so subtle advertising, lol

That's no different than the manufacturers logo on gloves or sticks or skates.

It is different; their gloves, sticks and skates don't have artwork on them...and if they did, it would bother me just as much.

I don't object to manufacturers putting their logo on stuff as long as it's not obnoxious or draws attention away from the equipment itself. The new Reebok wordmark on the jerseys for example is okay by me as long as they don't make it stand out to much (which they have failed to do).

I agree 110%...I hadn't seen those Reebok logos yet, but wow is that horrible.

I wasn't overly happy when the CCM and KOHO labels moved to the top rear of the jerseys because for certain jerseys it really interrupted the design and stuck out like a sore thumb, like the avs -

2393714400105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

The Rangers was one of the few I actually liked, and thought it flowed really well with the jersey -

2511287690105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

But this new logo is horrible!!! -

2209520640105778501S425x425Q85.jpg

Thank for the link, btw.

Since I know nothing of the new stuff, is that how they're going to look this season?

Just a side note for the Rangers jerseys. Anyone else think it's the Old Reebok stock 2.0's that have the large white "box" which used to accommodate the Vector logo that is being worn by the Rangers. I have a feeling if they were new stock they wouldn't interupt the design of the blue shoulders and red striping with that big white space for such a small Wordmark.

Hopefully the teams ALL get Regular Season jerseys that are consistent.

I have a feeling if they were new stock they wouldn't interupt the design of the blue shoulders and red striping with that big white space for such a small Wordmark.

I hope you're right; it's such a small thing, but makes a huge difference (IMO) -

2209520640105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

2332852720105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

Either way, the vector is still classier than the wordmark, and they should go back.

Just more proof that NHL head office does not have a clue, as if it was necessary... For nearly 20 years now they've been doing nothing but attempting to change the game to appeal to casual fans, and where has it gotten them? Onto the prestigious Outdoor Life Network, among other places. Maybe they should have the players' names written above their heads in the TV broadcasts like in EA Sports games to help the fans identify the players instead. :rolleyes:

The NHL has a large problem with Concussions and the safety of its players, but its fans are too busy making strawman arguments about the placement of numbers of helmets.

God, I've been in a bad mood the past two weeks I'm sorry, but this really is no big deal. Its just change, you probably wouldn't have noticed for a few games had no one pointed it out.

Maybe they should design and implement new helmets with concussions in mind and add numbers then? I for sure wouldn't complain so much if that were the case

Not sure what your argument is

The NHL has a large problem with Concussions and the safety of its players, but its fans are too busy making strawman arguments about the placement of numbers of helmets.

Well said.

God, I've been in a bad mood the past two weeks I'm sorry, but this really is no big deal. Its just change, you probably wouldn't have noticed for a few games had no one pointed it out.

Doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

2916762320105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

I actually like the helmet numbers, and sorry to keep changing topics, but I truly dislike those Reebok logos.

And some of us are busy being apologists for just about everything... Um, so we can just clear this up to avoid any future confusion, I hate Gary Bettman and the new NHL. I've been a diehard fan since shortly after I learned how to write my name, and my primary obsession with hockey involves its history. This is why it bothers me so much to see a man who knows nothing of that history take hockey and turn it into a spectacle of progressively cheaper thrills to try and win over the hearts of casual fans who upon hearing the name Cyclone Taylor would immediately think of a tropical storm and not hockey's first superstar. Have you ever heard any complaints from people being unable to identify players because they didn't have numbers on their heads? I certainly haven't. But having numbers somewhere on a player's front (or on top, like NASCAR, which this most strikingly reminds me of) is more like familiar American sports, so we have to do it. If a fan can't identify a player it's not because they can't see the number (with three of them on the jersey, it's pretty difficult not to see it), it's because they can't identify the players by their numbers to begin with. If they really wanted to solve the issue once and for all so Hank in Baton Rouge won't be confused as to whether Crosby or Malkin has the puck, they would go the EA Sports route that I suggested and have the name of the player who has the puck appear above his head on the broadcast.

And what does it have to do with the issue of concussions? Numbers on helmets are not going to help someone go, "oh gee, I better not headshot that guy, I know his mom!" :unsure: It's completely unrelated. I DO hope they make players wear improved helmets in the very near future, as the current spec for them is decades old.

Noone has brought up the real issue with numbers on helmets...

What font are they using for the numbers? Will it match the jersey fonts?

What about color and construction (i.e. stacked, semi-kiss cut vinyl, etc)

For those of you that don't know me...I'm kidding here...but I have enjoyed the discussion/debate...

I agree with the need to redesign the helmets but that will be debated another day, I am sure.

Are we as fans supposed to be doing our part to help the NHL fix it's concussion issues? Do I need to chip in and run some experiments on my own or have a bake sale to help the helmet manufacturers research programs?

EDIT: After re-reading my response a while later, I realized it was over the top. So I removed most of inflamatory parts (left in the bake sale reference as it was already quoted below).

Edited by akteon