Your teams jerseys

Mach_9

You'll appreciate this column from my friend and writer Greg Wyshynski's preview of the Eastern Conference:

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=2968

While a fellow Devils fan, he is hilarious in his breakdown of hockey and all of sports' traditions. He also wrote a hilarious book called "Glow Pucks and 10 Cent Beer: 101 worst ideas in sports history". Guess what 1 of the 101 was?

Anyway, I'm less angry than anyone else about them. I dig the numbers on the front.

I like the numbers on the front. I love the jerseys. I even ordered an authentic Pominville. I just hate the logo. I believe my first post in this thread has a picture of what I'd have rather had. I'm a writer as well, and I appreciated your friends sense of humor. If I ever come by his book I might take a peak.

Just a quote from the book, if I may schill once more:

The bad hockey specific (there are others general to sports) ideas he listed:

-In the crease rule.

-The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (Just them. The team.)

-The Islanders go Gorton's

-Roller Hockey International

-Drafting a Player Who Doesn't Exist

-Third Jerseys

And of course, the glow puck, #6 on the entire list.

I believe one of those involves your beloved Sabres.

Just a quote from the book, if I may schill once more:

The bad hockey specific (there are others general to sports) ideas he listed:

-In the crease rule.

-The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (Just them. The team.)

-The Islanders go Gorton's

-Roller Hockey International

-Drafting a Player Who Doesn't Exist

-Third Jerseys

And of course, the glow puck, #6 on the entire list.

I believe one of those involves your beloved Sabres.

I'm over the 'no goal'. He probably only put that in because he's a Devils fan and it was Dallas. What was #1 on his list?

It's not the video replay i'm talking about. It's the Drafting a Player who doesn't exist idea. Ring a bell?

And #1 was a hockey specific I'd forgotten, The Overtime Shootout. Well Hockey and soccer but still.

It's not the video replay i'm talking about. It's the Drafting a Player who doesn't exist idea. Ring a bell?

And #1 was a hockey specific I'd forgotten, The Overtime Shootout. Well Hockey and soccer but still.

Yeah, it was the Sabres who once drafted a player who didn't exist.

Yeah, it was the Sabres who once drafted a player who didn't exist.

I just automatically assumed he was talking about the 'no goal' since everyone is still going on about it every once in a while on the Sabres boards. It seems to be brought up just about once a week.

Yep. It's a good, funny read. Sort of Daily Show-meets sports sense of humor.

Back in 1974, the Buffalo Sabres drafted a player who did not exist. The ruse was instigated by former Sabres public relations man Paul Weiland and general manager Punch Imlach, who were bored with the tedious process of the draft and looking for a way to liven up the event.

Weiland created fake stats for a player named Taro Tsujimoto of the Tokyo Katanas in the Japanese League. When the time came for Buffalo to make its next-to-last choice (183rd overall), Imlach announced Tsujimoto as the Sabres’ pick. With Weiland’s fake stats circulating in the room, some believed that Buffalo general manager Punch Imlach and his scouting staff had uncovered a real gem. Major media outlets – including The Hockey News – dutifully reported the pick.

Weeks later, Imlach owned up to his hijinks. He admitted that he found Tsujimoto’s name in a Buffalo phone book and that “Katanas” was the Japanese translation for Sabres.

For years, the NHL listed the name of the player in its draft records. It has since replaced the name with “ineligible claim.” The Sabres’ media guide still lists Tsujimoto as the pick.

Back in 1974, the Buffalo Sabres drafted a player who did not exist. The ruse was instigated by former Sabres public relations man Paul Weiland and general manager Punch Imlach, who were bored with the tedious process of the draft and looking for a way to liven up the event.

Weiland created fake stats for a player named Taro Tsujimoto of the Tokyo Katanas in the Japanese League. When the time came for Buffalo to make its next-to-last choice (183rd overall), Imlach announced Tsujimoto as the Sabres’ pick. With Weiland’s fake stats circulating in the room, some believed that Buffalo general manager Punch Imlach and his scouting staff had uncovered a real gem. Major media outlets – including The Hockey News – dutifully reported the pick.

Weeks later, Imlach owned up to his hijinks. He admitted that he found Tsujimoto’s name in a Buffalo phone book and that “Katanas” was the Japanese translation for Sabres.

For years, the NHL listed the name of the player in its draft records. It has since replaced the name with “ineligible claim.” The Sabres’ media guide still lists Tsujimoto as the pick.

Ha, you know - I didn't know that. I didn't really start to follow Buffalo very carefully until the 80's and somehow missed that tidbit this whole time. I was born in Vermont, raised in Queens for the most part, and lived on Long Island. I was a Rangers kid.

Ha, you know - I didn't know that. I didn't really start to follow Buffalo very carefully until the 80's and somehow missed that tidbit this whole time. I was born in Vermont, raised in Queens for the most part, and lived on Long Island. I was a Rangers kid.

I don't remember where I first heard about it, but I didn't know about it until about a year ago or so.

For my Flames, when they first brought out the Black C..just about had a heart attack.. but they put a bit of orange into the red. When they first came out I could swear it was more of a pinkish red but I haven't noticed since the debut.

I am happy with the jersey, I have one on order for an authentic with my name and number, can't wait to get it but will have to wait awhile yet.

When I first saw the black C, I reacted negatively to it, but the more I saw it, the more I liked it. So much so, that I had to order a Matthew Lombardi jersey (we share last names and birthdays). I would prefer if the Flames used white numbers on those.

• 5 months later...

Rangers fan here. Overall, I like our jerseys and my white feels comfortable (never worn one with a crest though so I can't really compare. However, when I wear it to school, usually I get some kind of comment about the laces and not really in a way I'd like it. Just switch to the 90's jerseys without the string and they'd be just great with me.

Another idea would be putting the shield crest on, but keeping the striping as it is. I don't think it would look too bad, but I'm no expert in Photoshop so I can't quite produce it myself.

Canucks Jerseys well some may laugh at the various styles that have been worn by them but I have to say that I like the flying v in all of it's mustard glory. I like the stick and rink logo too. My favorite though would have to be the jerseys worn in the 88-89 season, well the whole uni really the pants, the socks, the jersy (of course.)

here are a few pics for those who may not know what I am talking about.

TantiVan.jpg

Butcher-1.jpg

tl-1.jpg

I like how there is the "v" on both the shoulder and the pants. Also I like the Golden colour more than the black.

I really want a Golden skate logo jersey.

That being said I don't really like the orca. I don't hate it but I don't love it either.

As for changes I'd like to see the canucks go back to the stick and rink logo all the time I like the blue,green, white colour combo and also the logo.

It is good to see that somebody likes those. People either love 'em or hate 'em, I've discovered. I, for one, love those. Whenever I play against the Canucks on NHL 07, I always put the Canucks in the 80's jerseys, even.

Back to the original topic, my team's jerseys. The Coyotes CCCP-looking jerseys took a while for me to warm up to. I liked the old black, green and red garish things they wore when they moved to Phoenix, I liked the alternates, with the desert scenery trim and geckos on the shoulders. They were unique, screamed "Phoenix" and everybody outside the 602/480/623 hated them, including Gretzky, who ordered a change to simplicity. Brick red and white, how exciting. :rolleyes: I don't know why the PHX patch is only on one sleeve, it should go on both, IMO. Black trim around the numbers would help, but the plain white ones are OK, since they use a stylized font. Even so, I would never have designed what they are wearing now.

I did like the style of the old ones, but there is something I've really grown to like about the new ones. I do agree with you though, I'd love to see them add black trim around the numbers and maybe even the names. I've often wondered how they'd look with more black. I do wish the PHX patch would be on both shoulders as well, but I was a fan of the moon logo with the team name in it. BTW, why did they get rid of the Goals for Kids patch???

I did like the style of the old ones, but there is something I've really grown to like about the new ones. I do agree with you though, I'd love to see them add black trim around the numbers and maybe even the names. I've often wondered how they'd look with more black. I do wish the PHX patch would be on both shoulders as well, but I was a fan of the moon logo with the team name in it. BTW, why did they get rid of the Goals for Kids patch???

I'm used to the single-color look of theirs now. I've trained the eye for the single-color thing, but I never found a reason for why they have the patch in one shoulder. I don't know if they plan on ever putting anything on the empty shoulder, I'd like to see put another PHX patch on there, too. I think there's a moon logo on the front of their pants, that would have looked OK on the opposite shoulder. They got rid of the Goals For Kids patch because that charity no longer exists. I think a Coyotes Charities patch would be just a little too pretentious. :)

I'm used to the single-color look of theirs now. I've trained the eye for the single-color thing, but I never found a reason for why they have the patch in one shoulder. I don't know if they plan on ever putting anything on the empty shoulder, I'd like to see put another PHX patch on there, too. I think there's a moon logo on the front of their pants, that would have looked OK on the opposite shoulder. They got rid of the Goals For Kids patch because that charity no longer exists. I think a Coyotes Charities patch would be just a little too pretentious. :)

Ahh, thanks for the info on that, I was always curious as to where it went when I noticed it missing last season.

I haven't understood the single patch thing myself. The PHX patch looks pretty sharp IMO on the new jerseys. I have grown to love these more than the old ones, but I am hoping there comes a day when they unveil a retro jersey for special game nights.

Ahh, thanks for the info on that, I was always curious as to where it went when I noticed it missing last season.

I haven't understood the single patch thing myself. The PHX patch looks pretty sharp IMO on the new jerseys. I have grown to love these more than the old ones, but I am hoping there comes a day when they unveil a retro jersey for special game nights.

I really like the Desert Dogs jerseys (especially the maroon with the white ties) and that patch is sharp. Do you think it will be similar in style when they do the change over to the new jerseys next year?

I really like the Desert Dogs jerseys (especially the maroon with the white ties) and that patch is sharp. Do you think it will be similar in style when they do the change over to the new jerseys next year?

It's better to look good than to play good. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that the design will remain the same, even with the new jerseys, I haven't heard a peep about the laces, however.

It's better to look good than to play good. :rolleyes:

My understanding is that the design will remain the same, even with the new jerseys, I haven't heard a peep about the laces, however.

sadly, i bet those would go since they are not water resistent by 14% or whatever and don't reduce drag....i would hate to see the ties go- why haven't they put them on their white jerseys (like a red lace?)

IIRC, there was a mention about it in a Coyotes article in the AZ Republic awhile back, talking about how to look for the "Coyotes losing the three stripes around the bottom of the jersey and maybe even the stripes around the socks." I haven't heard anything much beyond that and even that sounded like it was up in the air.