The Future of the NHL Jersey Part III

CryWolf

Okay gang, just got back from the One Goal Hockey Show held in Toronto earlier this week. At an exclusive Reebok breakfast meeting open to only their platinum accounts, Reebok unveiled the new RBK Edge Uniform System (we were the first ones introduced to the jersey outside of the company). This included seeing and holding in my hands, the new authentic jersey. The prototype presented was the Eastern All Star Jersey, fully customized - and to sum it up... I was VERY impressed. I also saw a photo of Sidney Crosby in the full Eastern uniform, and he looked awesome. I really am not allowed to reveal much more about the uniform system or the jersey (I actually thought it was supposed to be introduced today at a press conference, but don't think it happened... so very soon), but I really think they did a great job - and it still looks VERY much like a hockey jersey. No need to worry about a 'tight fitting' jersey. What they came up with is a well-designed jersey that will allow players who should wear a 52, but instead wear a 58 in the current jersey because he needs free movement - instead wear a much lighter jersey that will fit him properly... enhancing performance. The research, technology and engineering put into this jersey (and the entire uniform system) is really incredible, and I can't imagine that it won't have a noticeable impact on player performance. Keep your eyes and ears open for the Bettman press conference in the next day or two (I would imagine), for full details on the new uniform design.

We should be getting in replica jerseys any day - authentics I will have to let you know.

Anything about price Crywolf? NHLshop.com seems to be charging a boatload for the new authentics.

post-3-1169165250_thumb.jpg

Anything about price Crywolf? NHLshop.com seems to be charging a boatload for the new authentics.

the "new look" EDGE RBK Player Uniform

here a link to the article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...htm?POE=SPOISVA

Yeah you said it. I was expecting something worse too but it's not that bad. I bought an All-Star Shanny jersey so time will tell how it looks but for the time being, I don't hate it.

Hey Guys... it was officially unveiled in a press conference today...

NHL makes new look official

John McGourty | NHL.com Staff Writer Jan 22, 2007, 2:00 PM EST

crosby2.gif

DALLAS - The National Hockey League today unveiled the new Rbk Edge Uniform System, anatomically correct sweaters, pants and socks made of lighter, sleeker, drier and warmer synthetic performance fabrics.

Nearly three years in development, the Rbk Edge Uniform System was developed with the input of NHL players and the NHL Players' Association. The uniforms will first be seen in tonight's NHL All-Star Practice at American Airlines Center.

Fans outside the Dallas' area will be able to see the Rbk Edge Uniform Systems for the first time in the 55th NHL All-Star Game (8 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio) Wednesday.

The Rbk Edge Uniform System will be worn by all NHL players, beginning with the start of the 2007-08 NHL season in October.

The new uniforms utilize four unique fabrics which keep players lighter, drier and better protected while maintaining durability. Stretch mesh provides ventilation and greater range of motion. 4Way Stretch Pique employs Rbk's Bead Away water-repellent technology. X-trafil provides durability. A stretch fabric in the collar features Reebok's PlayDry moisture-wicking technology to maximize comfort and breathability.

PlayDry's wicking capability and Bead Away's water repellency combine to reduce NHL sweater weight by 14 percent while wicking 76 percent more moisture away from the body. Players stay warmer, drier and fresher while avoiding the energy-draining effect of wearing a wet sweater at freezing temperatures.

X-trafil makes the sweaters twice as durable as the current sweater being worn by NHL players.

Rbk and the NHL have been working for nearly three years on the advanced uniform system and employed the services of scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for wind-tunnel analysis and at Central Michigan University for thermal-regulation analysis.

Player input has been important in the development of the Rbk Edge Uniform Systems. Sidney Crosby, who endorses Reebok equipment, made several suggestions which were incorporated in the design, as did officials from the NHLPA.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Paul Harrington, President and CEO of the Reebok Brand, were joined by several NHL players at today's press conference to introduce the Rbk Edge Uniform Systems, along with NHL Executive Vice President, Consumer Products, Marketing and Retail Operations, and Matt O'Toole, Chief Executive Officer, Reebok-CCM Hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is: will the new uniforms be adapted to the most storied team in the NHL, the Montreal Canadiens? You just don't mess with close to 100 years of tradition (although the jersey lasted more than 90 years) and 24 Stanley Cups!!!

Are there sneak previews of what to expect? We don't want another Buffalogate, so that true Habs fans will know what to expect.

My question is: will the new uniforms be adapted to the most storied team in the NHL, the Montreal Canadiens? You just don't mess with close to 100 years of tradition (although the jersey lasted more than 90 years) and 24 Stanley Cups!!!

Are there sneak previews of what to expect? We don't want another Buffalogate, so that true Habs fans will know what to expect.

Everything I have heard indicates that all Original 6 teams (and many others) will maintain their traditional looks - just on a new type of jersey.

Everything I have heard indicates that all Original 6 teams (and many others) will maintain their traditional looks - just on a new type of jersey.

Everything I've seen and heard since the unveiling of the new jerseys has been positive. I know my early optimism was based solely in good faith, but it turns out the NHL did a really good job with this one. The look is a little different... I will miss the old design to a degree, but the direction they've gone in is sharp and aesthetically pleasing and I can't say I have anything wrong with it. I am a little concerned by the price of the ASG sweaters, but I understand that has to do with limited supply and the actual team jerseys should be more in line with what we have been paying. Still, any increase in price is a deterrent in my eyes, being one who largely prefers to stick with authentics.

On a side note, had I not disliked the colors of the Western jersey, I very well might have shelled out the 400+ for a Havlat authentic. Then again, if Zetterberg hadn't been scratched from the Eastern roster I still might have...

Thanks. For a moment I thought everyone would change looks like the CFL did in 05, with only the Alouettes keeping the same popular jersey designs!

Clearly the jerseys aren't as bad as we were all envisioning. That being said, I think there is a bit of sticker shock over the price of the All-Star jerseys. Does anyone, including the moderators, know what the price points will be once we get into the replica side of things? I doubt most fans will want to buy $400 dollar jerseys.

Clearly the jerseys aren't as bad as we were all envisioning. That being said, I think there is a bit of sticker shock over the price of the All-Star jerseys. Does anyone, including the moderators, know what the price points will be once we get into the replica side of things? I doubt most fans will want to buy $400 dollar jerseys.

Supposedly the price for an authentic will be closer to $250 than the sky high figures associated with the ASG sweaters. The replicas are going to stay around the price point they're already at, I believe, but they won't mimic the new cut either, and will only be available in one color (dark or white) per team.

Supposedly the price for an authentic will be closer to $250 than the sky high figures associated with the ASG sweaters. The replicas are going to stay around the price point they're already at, I believe, but they won't mimic the new cut either, and will only be available in one color (dark or white) per team.

Really? That's interesting that the replicas are going to be the old cut. I for one am glad about that as I like the look of the current sweater and if I ever gain a few pounds, the new jerseys would not look good on me at all! :stickhndl:

Really? That's interesting that the replicas are going to be the old cut. I for one am glad about that as I like the look of the current sweater and if I ever gain a few pounds, the new jerseys would not look good on me at all! :stickhndl:

Mach has some of the details right, but for the full accurate details, check my prior post here.

Mach has some of the details right, but for the full accurate details, check my prior post here.

Gracias- good to see the prices will be about the same. I don't think the NHL should punish economically consumers for technology innovations to jerseys that the consumers will never use.

Yeah these jerseys aren't friendly for the people with curves. I have no worries personally because I'm tall and lanky but give me a few more years of dropping metabolism and I might start to look pregnant who knows :)