Got in a fight or close to it at a game?

DucksNPucks

Looking back through this thread, I would like to say that, while I am a passionate fan and may sound like a ######/crazy-Arse POS, I am, for the most part, relatively normal and sane. :thumbsup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of seasons, I had a problem with a Buffalo fan. At first intermission, I went down to the first level to do something, then rode escalator back up...now, I don't like 'riding' escalators either, but the people in front of me were stopped, so I stopped too. The idiot Sabres fan climbs up to the step immediately behind mind and starts sighing and coughing like we're keeping him from an important appointment.

Being me, as we got off the escalator, I said something smart in his general direction and he wheeled around asking if I was trying to be funny and challenged me more or less. This was no small guy, and I'm no fighter, so I just said, take it easy tough guy...so he, of course, has to say, "that's what I thought" and turns around...me being me, I had to say words starting with F and O and he wheeled around again. This time we started jawing pretty good and I finally asked him if he wanted to go outside...when he did, I led him to an usher :^)

I guess that makes me a turtle, but I'm not getting in a fight with some jackass fan over a hockey game unless it's something where I'm standing up for someone else. I've not been in a fight for 15 years and I intend to keep it that way :thumbsup:

I felt the same way but after the third thrown drink I heard the guy above me say "He is a 2 year old what am I supposed to do?" I was like this has happened multiple times make them stop. And he was like "it's water your wife will get over it." There was no point then so I just ignored him the rest of the game.

That's the point where you get an usher and the usher tells them to control their children or they leave. Not hockey related, but some jackass at the RUSH concert at MSG back in April was smoking cigarettes all night two rows in front of me. I finally got security and they threw his Arse out because he refused to stop smoking. Up until that point I had been throwing my chewed gum in his general direction trying to bounce it off his head....hit him a couple times. Was funny. Can't wait for Gigantour at January so I can single out other jackwagons and make their concert experience miserable :D

In another non-hockey MSG incident, I was at the Royal Rumble a few years back and some bleached-blonde bimbo was also smoking cigarettes all night halfway down and one row in front of us. We kept throwing Reese's Pieces at her. Now that I think about it, that was a waste of perfectly good Reese's Pieces, but it was hilarious at the time.

Dropkickmurphy8,

I totally agree! Problem was there was no usher near us. It was weird because normally there is an usher at each section. I noticed some of the other regular employees I know were gone too. Maybe they were short staffed for the holiday weekend. There was only 5 minutes left in the game dumb me thought nothing else was going to happen.

Dropkickmurphy8,

I totally agree! Problem was there was no usher near us. It was weird because normally there is an usher at each section. I noticed some of the other regular employees I know were gone too. Maybe they were short staffed for the holiday weekend. There was only 5 minutes left in the game dumb me thought nothing else was going to happen.

Like I said man, just record it and hook me up with a copy!!

Most of the time, there are rarely fights if you aren't that big of a doucher. I shook hands with the ranger fans sitting next to me at the Coli after games, sitting in the 300s.

A few years back I sat up in the 300s with a few fellow Flyers fans. I think we were treated decently by the home fans. Of course we weren't obnoxious, drunk, or idiots and actually had good hockey conversation with some knowledgeable fans. It was strange though because there were as many Flyers fans up there as Isles fans.

A few years back I sat up in the 300s with a few fellow Flyers fans. I think we were treated decently by the home fans. Of course we weren't obnoxious, drunk, or idiots and actually had good hockey conversation with some knowledgeable fans. It was strange though because there were as many Flyers fans up there as Isles fans.

Exactly. The drunk, obnoxious people ruin the game for everyone!

Sadly, that happens a lot at the Coli (split between Isles/visiting fans)

Want to see tame fans? go to a Leafs game at the ACC. Especially in the lower bowl. Maybe you could chirp one of the "suits" sitting in the platinums. He'll toss you a hundred to shut up. Haha.

Never had an issue in any arena I've been to. But I'm also a big guy haha.

Want to see tame fans? go to a Leafs game at the ACC. Especially in the lower bowl. Maybe you could chirp one of the "suits" sitting in the platinums. He'll toss you a hundred to shut up. Haha.

Never had an issue in any arena I've been to. But I'm also a big guy haha.

I was just thinking the same thing. Most of the games I have been to are at the ACC because my dad's work has company seats. People here are talking about kids pissing them off, you dont see many kids at the ACC, especially in the lower bowl.

At the ACC I wonder if I would be able to call an usher to stop a suit from going on his blackberry during the game :lol:

I actually really respect that. Its not often you see good parenting. On LI, kids do whatever they want and have no regard for what their parents say.

I went to 5 games this season (was in the last row of the section 2x, so that doesnt count) and 2 of the 5 I had a kid behind me constantly kick my seat throughout the game. I feel weird telling them to stop because I know they won't listen and the parent will not tell them to stop.

Am I the only one that gets pissed when someone (doesn't even have to be a kid) kicks their seat?

Thanks. It's funny, I take them to a Ducks game and are great, but I take them to Disneyland and they are horrible. I hate parents that don't want to take care of their kids, they made the choice to have their kids. If someone can't handle their kids at a hockey game then they should stay at home and watch the game on tv. I hate people who kick my seat, it's annoying.

Only 2 times I've ever been in an arena fight were at caps games. 1st one with with a moron that didn't know who kept taunting me about the "sh`tty sabres goalie" the year after Miller one the Veznia. When I went to explain to him that point, he said "I don't care who Ryan Veznia is he sucks." Some sweater on ovi shir-zee tugging ensued then the tunnel guy came over and told us to take a seat.

Second one I had on my Rob Ray goat at a Caps Flyers games. Waiting for play to stop in the tunnel some donk said who what the F jersey are you wearing and who the F is Rob "Gay". I didn't even need to say anything as another caps fan stepped up and called the guy out for not knowing what he was talking about (good guy). Game progressed he kept turning around to taunt me when the caps scored, I guess he thought I had on a flyers sweater or something. Caps lost. Then after the game met me and my buddy at the end of the tunnel. Started up the belligerent name calling and shoving, security walked by they ran away.

The verizon center is an interesting place you find you come up against confused yet very passionate fans which makes it almost impossible to have a rational discussion. Maybe this losing streak will thin the heard a bit and we will see a more cultured environment. I can only really expect to be treated so well as an out of town fan though.

Definitely a bonus when this type of fan is at the game. And I agree the obnoxious idiots ruin things, especially the atmosphere in a section. Usually they are the "fans" who don't know a darn thing about hockey or the team. They can shell out the $, go to the game, and make a complete @$$ out of themselves! <_< I miss the good old days where the "real" hockey fans would dominate the number of fans in attendance, the people who actually know the team, players, and the game. Sad that now it's all about $ to go watch your favorite team play....

That aside, I have never gotten into a fight or said anything to an opposing team's fan at a game. I usually keep to myself or to whom I'm with and try to ignore any negativity around me. This brings me to the point that "fans" should not be generalized or stereotyped because they follow a certain team. To me, a "fan" should be defined as the type of person the individual is - loud and obnoxious versus someone who is easy going and there for the entertainment. For example, there are "bad apples" for every fan base, but there also exists fans who are nice and respectful. So IMO it's not the best thing to do to say "team A has the WORST fans" when in reality there are a lot of fans who are ######holes that follow every team. Rather, it is the human nature of the individual who is the "fan" that controls whether he/she is obnoxious or respectful.

The verizon center is an interesting place you find you come up against confused yet very passionate fans which makes it almost impossible to have a rational discussion. Maybe this losing streak will thin the heard a bit and we will see a more cultured environment. I can only really expect to be treated so well as an out of town fan though.

That's extremely true, and it's true of FedEx Field at Redskins games too - very opinionated, yet uninformed. I think there's two main reasons for that. First, DC sports in general have been so bad for so long that as soon as ONE team does anything decent - like the Caps the past few years, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I wear a lot of retro jerseys from my youth to Caps games (Witt-Bonda-Kolzig, etc) and you'd be surprised how many times I'm asked who they are - or better yet, what team's jersey I'm wearing! It's almost like there was no team pre-2007. Not to mention the fact that almost everyone is in a red Ovechkin, and you hear "diehards" yelling and screaming and then asking something like "#19? Who's that?" Ugh.

I'd add that a lot of fans who are knowledgable have twitchy tempers in DC too, more so than at a lot of other stadiums, and I'm one of them. I have no problem sitting next to someone cheering for another team, and having a discussion or gentle nudging and laughing back and forth. In fact, it's fun sometimes. But DC is known as a transient city. Very few of my friends and co-workers grew up here, and fewer stick around more than a few years. That leads to either (1) diehard unknowledgable fans like the ones above OR (2) - and much worse - going to a game in a HOME stadium where the HOME fans are outnumbered by away fans. And that just pisses home fans off. It happens especially routinely at Nationals - Phillies games (and we all know how big jerks Philly fans can be).

That's extremely true, and it's true of FedEx Field at Redskins games too - very opinionated, yet uninformed. I think there's two main reasons for that. First, DC sports in general have been so bad for so long that as soon as ONE team does anything decent - like the Caps the past few years, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I wear a lot of retro jerseys from my youth to Caps games (Witt-Bonda-Kolzig, etc) and you'd be surprised how many times I'm asked who they are - or better yet, what team's jersey I'm wearing! It's almost like there was no team pre-2007. Not to mention the fact that almost everyone is in a red Ovechkin, and you hear "diehards" yelling and screaming and then asking something like "#19? Who's that?" Ugh.

I'd add that a lot of fans who are knowledgable have twitchy tempers in DC too, more so than at a lot of other stadiums, and I'm one of them. I have no problem sitting next to someone cheering for another team, and having a discussion or gentle nudging and laughing back and forth. In fact, it's fun sometimes. But DC is known as a transient city. Very few of my friends and co-workers grew up here, and fewer stick around more than a few years. That leads to either (1) diehard unknowledgable fans like the ones above OR (2) - and much worse - going to a game in a HOME stadium where the HOME fans are outnumbered by away fans. And that just pisses home fans off. It happens especially routinely at Nationals - Phillies games (and we all know how big jerks Philly fans can be).

"and we all know how big jerks Philly fans can be"

OBJECTION!!! see my previous post...Like SluggerMatt said...You have to say "DRUNK Philly fans" Please dont stereotype us all. We are all not that bad.

"and we all know how big jerks Philly fans can be"

OBJECTION!!! see my previous post...Like SluggerMatt said...You have to say "DRUNK Philly fans" Please dont stereotype us all. We are all not that bad.

Yeah man exactly. I know Flyers fans who live in Philly that are actually respectful and nice people. Like I said, it depends on the PERSON, not the FANBASE! There are ######holes for every fan base because they are terrible human beings and/or take the NHL/sports WAY TOO seriously. Unfortunately the way it is people get caught in the stereotype because they like a certain team. For example, I am a Penguins fan, but I get caught in the "bandwagon" crowd because I root for Pittsburgh. :rolleyes: People don't know that I've actually been following the team closely for over a decade (I'm in my early 20s), and the Penguins have roots with my parents, and that I'm actually NOT a "bandwagoner". It's finally nice to see my team consistently win for the first time since the 90s. :D

Never been to a Flyers game (or one vs. Flyers here in DC) but I'm referring to the Phillies. They bought up a majority of the tickets to Nats opening day last year and drove down in buses, booing the HOME team on their OPENING DAY. That's just f'ing wrong on so many levels. And a friend went up to Philly for a Nats game, wearing her Nats jersey but not bothering anyone - and had her car keyed and banged up while she was trying to get out of the parking lot.

The Eagles aren't much better - it was pretty well publicized a few years back how fans in the stands were pelting the opposing team's bench with batteries.

So I'm not talking about hockey - but jeez that stuff pisses me off. Just saying.

I really never understood Philly. The people in the state of Pennsylvania are generally good folks. Laid back, easy going, but Philly is like a cheap imitation of NYC (no offense). I went to a Mets-Phillies game in Philly and I was treated nicely because I was wearing neutral NL colors (Im a Yankees fan), but my dad and I were worried about our car being vandalized because of the NY plates (everything was fine). I really had no complaints in Philly. My dad has a brain tumor foundation so we were invited by the Tug McGraw foundation to go, so we sat with them (could be why there was no fighting lol).

Never been to a Flyers game (or one vs. Flyers here in DC) but I'm referring to the Phillies. They bought up a majority of the tickets to Nats opening day last year and drove down in buses, booing the HOME team on their OPENING DAY. That's just f'ing wrong on so many levels. And a friend went up to Philly for a Nats game, wearing her Nats jersey but not bothering anyone - and had her car keyed and banged up while she was trying to get out of the parking lot.

The Eagles aren't much better - it was pretty well publicized a few years back how fans in the stands were pelting the opposing team's bench with batteries.

So I'm not talking about hockey - but jeez that stuff pisses me off. Just saying.

There is a solution to the Opening Day thing, buy the tickets yourselves :) . When it comes to Eagles, I find it hilarious that we still get a bad rap, try going to Oakland or some place, then tell me you are still scared of Eagles fans. When it comes down to it, Philly fans got a bad reputation from decades ago and lazy national reporters still cling to this notion. If you ever read an article that references the Santa Snowball Incident, print it out, then take a poop on it, because that is really all it is. Philly fans are some of the most passionate and knowledgeable, and the idea persists that we are mean due to lazy reporters who fail to do their job. I have been to the Prudential Center and MSG and the rudeness/vulgarity of the stuff that gets said to opposing fans there, is far worse than I have ever witnessed at the Wells Fargo Center. Hell, Montreal rioted and burnt cop cars after a playoff loss, but we seem to hear more about some Canadien reporter's car antenna being torn off in the Wells Fargo Center parking lot.

Gotta agree with you Floun that Philly fans are extremely passionate. When Im driving in So. Jerz, I always say how many cars/trucks/vans there are with at least one of the four sports teams' sticker on the back.