Making jerseys from scratch

zilch

Not sure if this topic belongs here are not, but has anyone tried to totally make their own hockey jersey from scratch? I'm trying to complete my St. Louis Blues collection and some of the early 80's jerseys are hard to come by and if you do they are the cheap 100% ployester stuff and the size large fits more like a medium these days. Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get started or templates or any ideas for that matter.

Pretty sure making fake jerseys is frowned upon here.

If he is not selling it then what's the problem? People have had single jerseys custom made for them (see that 1960 USA Olympic jersey thread). What's the difference between that and this guy doing it himself?

Edited by Jack459

I can't see where making your own jersey is making a fake.

Isn't it basically the same as having Ebbets Field Flannels make a vintage jersey for you?

I can't imagine he's going to crank out thousands of fake jerseys out of his living room. He's just trying to make a jersey that he can't find.

I'm actually curious as to how this would turn out. I'd never do it, and I hope I never see it on eBay for profit, but I'm curious about how it would work.

well my hunch would be this (keep in mind i am a bit buzzed from drinking and have no tailoring skills what so ever)

take the measurements of a jersey you have from around that era and go from there. study the stitching, pattern and where it is all joined up. i doubt you'll find the materials locally at a fabric store, so look online for mass bulk of airknit or jersey materials.

I have two of those!

Well I apologize, but according to DropkickMurphy8, I must :noway: @ you, sir. How dare you.

Yes, of course you're making a "fake," but can you REALLY attach the same stigma to it when you're simply making it for yourself with no plans to sell? I think it sounds awesome man, and if you do it, make you do take WIP pictures to share with everyone!

I thought Brilliant was talking about his 2 sets of skill :thumbsup:

You know what buster, you're lucky we even acknowledge you and your lil' Isles, mind your manners. :fight:

You know what buster, you're lucky we even acknowledge you and your lil' Isles, mind your manners. :fight:

HA!

I totally agree with the fake thing, but I would never sell this just because plus considering how much time I would be putting into this. It would be 100% for myself. I was thinking of just taking apart one of my old rec league jerseys as a template and I'm guessing from previous posts won't find fabric at the stores so that might be the biggest problem

Look around some web sites for uncrested jerseys before you go buying all that material. I was looking for a 1985 Wales Conference Pelle Lindbergh All Star jersey for over 20 years. I came across hockeyjerseysdirect.com and discovered they would sell a single jersey and I would not have to have 12 made up. They have quite a few different styles for sale...I found Truman from Gameday Sports archives and asked him if he could replicate the drop shadow "Wales" lettering on the front and he did such a great job I asked him to create the name and number kit for it as well...I found the ALL STAR shoulder patches on e-Bay and put everything together...It's not perfect but Im very happy with it. I dont consider it a "fake"... to me it's a tribute to the late Pelle Lindbergh and an honor to wear his jersey.

2615755650106460649SiKWSv_th.jpg

I thought that was a compliment?

And

That song must've taken some real brainstorming to come up with.....

• 2 weeks later...

i think tally hockey jersey has the blank st. louis ones from the early 80s (not the mid-late 80s)

if think of making your own maybe they have some ideas on the DIY Hockey jersey/sweater army on Facebook.

I definitely believe this idea is NOT a bad one. You could (quite possibly) save yourself some $ in the process by making your own jerseys. Though IMO it's not an easy process. As jerseys from past eras are increasingly difficult to find, making your own jersey is a decent substitute for this.

But I agree above that it's no different than having a company like EFF make it for you. I know EFF will NOT make current professional teams - MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA - due to licensing and rights. So I guess this process is technically "illegal". But as long as you do it for your own personal use there should be no problem.

Firstly, I think you would have to do some research to find the material jerseys are made from. This can be hard to do. Then you would need striping/piping patterns, v-neck design, all other jersey details, etc. I guess if you know how to sew fabric then this would not be hard. Cresting isn't likely an issue and neither would customization be one either.

So IMO, in sum, finding the jersey template (fabric, patterns, etc) is the challenge.

Best wishes if you decide to go with this! :thumbsup: