The NHL in London?

lafountain

It appears the the NHL is considering having some games played in London England next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2762817

I don't think that this is a good idea just yet, maybe in a couple years but I think it is still too early after coming back to be looking to play in other countries. I am all for growing the game internationally to non-traditional hockey countries, but I don't think the time is now.

And even if they are going to do this, are the Kings the right team to represent the league?

It appears the the NHL is considering having some games played in London England next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2762817

I don't think that this is a good idea just yet, maybe in a couple years but I think it is still too early after coming back to be looking to play in other countries. I am all for growing the game internationally to non-traditional hockey countries, but I don't think the time is now.

And even if they are going to do this, are the Kings the right team to represent the league?

Add this with signing up Vs. until 2011 and the whispers of expansion and you have a lot of head scratching when it comes to how this league is run. I know Fluery plays for the UK hockey league but is that really a reason to hold games there? Maybe in Germany, Sweden or the Czech republic but London Eng-er-land?

Add this with signing up Vs. until 2011

Oh God no. Where did you read this?

It's true. I'm not sure where I read it anymore, but I'm pretty sure the link to the article is still up on hfboards.com too. Either way, I don't see any need to get the UK interested in hockey right now. The sport could use a lot of help in NA first... which brings to mind a question:

The NHL has produced some pretty good commercials recently (Swedish Twins, the ASG weekend one, etc.). WHY do they only air them during NHL games?!! The result of this is that if you're watching the commercial, you're already watching the damned NHL on TV to begin with. Nobody who isn't a hockey fan is seeing the commercials, and thus they are doing zilch to actually promote the sport and increase TV ratings. Why?!

Frankly, OLN does a decent job in covering the game but it really seems like they have absolutely NO clue how to promote it. Get those commercials out there. Promote your stars; young and old. Pick some better matchups other than Dallas-Colorado. I notice that Sirius does a good job of promoting Pittsburgh-Washington whenever they play each other but what about all the other games? Nothing. It's borderline absurd. The channel is hard enough for most people to find...at least give them some information. I understand that they're not ESPN, but you have to think that they knew what they were getting when they put the bid in for it right?

And beyond the limited coverage/promotion that OLN/VS has, is it really that difficult for the NHL to get their Richards/LeCavalier, Thornton, Ovechkin, or Sedins commercials on other channels? The concept is ridiculous - advertise for the NHL during NHL games? Who is the audience during a televised NHL game though? Pre-existing NHL fans!! How is anyone NEW going to be attracted to the game when the only way to see an advertisement for it is by watching a game? I just don't get it. These commercials are fun, witty, and well thought out. The themes are ones that nearly everyone can relate to an appreciate - it's great. The airing of the commercials, however, is completely the opposite. Poorly thought-out and entirely ineffective. I love the commercials, but I'm already the biggest hockey fan I know... putting them places where people like me will see them is pointless. Put the NHL commercials on during football or basketball games. The "NHL players are just like you and me" commercials don't advertise for OLN/VS so it's not like showing them on other networks is advertising for a competitor. I just don't get it...

You hit the nail on the head. Airing spots on non-hockey channels increases your visibility hundreds-fold. You have to pull the casual watcher in with something...Lord knows the games they've chosen lately aren't enough to keep the attention of most.

I think NBC is doing a somewhat better job; especially for only having Sunday games. I know I've seen commercials on other channels, although I can't remember which ones. I know the ratings were way up for the Sunday after the All-Star Game.

I hope that the game in london doesn't happen, especially because the Canucks are rumored to be one of the teams playing.

I also would hope that the NHL would be more concerned with increasing its fan base here in NA, especially the US. From what has been posted here it seems that there really is a lack of proper marketing of the game. The my NHL commercials are good, but if they are only being shown during a game what is the point? Sure it is cool for them to be shown then but if they are trying to attract new fans when the game is not on is the best time to do so. The NHL could learn a thing or two from the Vote Rory Campain.

I hope that the game in london doesn't happen, especially because the Canucks are rumored to be one of the teams playing.

I also would hope that the NHL would be more concerned with increasing its fan base here in NA, especially the US. From what has been posted here it seems that there really is a lack of proper marketing of the game. The my NHL commercials are good, but if they are only being shown during a game what is the point? Sure it is cool for them to be shown then but if they are trying to attract new fans when the game is not on is the best time to do so. The NHL could learn a thing or two from the Vote Rory Campain.

I agree with everything that has been said about Vs. and the promotional aspects of the game (although I can't go a post without saying I HATE Emerick as an announcer). The really good news I have heard is that they are currently negotiating to have the NHL Network (which is only broadcast in Canada currently) on US airwaves for next season. From everyone I have heard from, this is a great channel with a nightly higlights show and games from the NHL, ECHL and AHL! If this channel does come on my cable provider, I doubt I will ever tune into Vs. again.

I have heard is that they are currently negotiating to have the NHL Network (which is only broadcast in Canada currently) on US airwaves for next season. From everyone I have heard from, this is a great channel with a nightly higlights show and games from the NHL, ECHL and AHL! If this channel does come on my cable provider, I doubt I will ever tune into Vs. again.

Same here. I'd love for that to become a reality.

Yes the NHL Network needs to come to the States. I've been hearing about it on Sirius NHL Live and from what I hear it's gonna happen. I just hope it's next year.

Something i think would also help hockey in the states is if they had better cameramen/ better postion of cameras. I you watch hockey from Canada it is much better quailty even if there is no HD. The American networks should get there cameramen to have a workshop from the people that put on Hockey Night in Canada, it would make so much difference.

That's an excellent point. Some of the camera angles during games are enough to make you nauseous. The ones that really baffle me are the shootout shots. Why would you ever use the camera that is on the OPPOSITE end of the rink to follow the shooter?? The only way you can tell if the puck goes in is to watch the crowd behind the net.

I don't see any necessity to play any game in the UK. North American sports leagues (except baseball) have this infatuation with playing games in Europe. Play a game in London, Ontario, instead!

Well I think certain parts of Europe would make sense. I think the game would be a huge draw in a place like Sweden or the Czech Republic but certainly not the UK.