Forsberg to Nashville? It's Official.

Mach_9

Peter Forsberg skated in the pre-game warm-up tonight for Philadelphia but was then announced as a healthy scratch. Bob Mckenzie reports that a deal with Nashville is all but finalized and that little more than an official announcement remains. Should be tonight.

Makes Nashville a SCARY team.

I' ve heard this deal being thrown around:

To Philadelphia:

*Scottie Upshall

*Ryan Parent

*3rd Round Pick

*1st Round Pick

To Nashville:

*Peter Forsberg

Yep - I updated my post on the Sabres boards and have been privy to that for about a half hour but was too excited to remember to come back here and update. Foppa being my all-time favorite, I'm psyched to see him back in the playoff picture for this year.

Anyhow, at this point the deal has been agreed to and is pending only a phone call to the league offices.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=196374&hubname=

Looks like this is the deal TSN is reporting it now: Forsberg headed to Predators

The only part Nashville IMO shouldn't have give up was Parent he has been pretty good in the WJC for Team Canada the past two years.

Honestly, any deal where Nashville did not have to part with Radulov is a GREAT deal for Nashville. They should be the odds-on favorites to win the Cup now.

MSG just broke the deal and they say Franson, Upshall, 1st, 3rd. Either way, Upshall is often scratched because of Nashville's offensive depth and Parent or Franson are prospects - not roster players. They gain a dominant player without losing anything from their current lineup... that's big, and the 1st round pick will be in the late 20's as well.

You know Detroit is KICKING themselves now. This basically wraps up the division for Nashville and kills any chance of Detroit getting the home ice.

This is really a great thing for the franchise. Nashville's been having a lot of attendance issues lately. If this team can go a few rounds and maybe even challenge for the Cup, it can solidify a good fan base for years to come.

You know Detroit is KICKING themselves now. This basically wraps up the division for Nashville and kills any chance of Detroit getting the home ice.

This is really a great thing for the franchise. Nashville's been having a lot of attendance issues lately. If this team can go a few rounds and maybe even challenge for the Cup, it can solidify a good fan base for years to come.

With how well Forsberg has been playing since the all-star break (which is when he got his new insert/skates) I honestly think he can dominate like he did in Colorado a while back. I think with the tremendous talent he'll be surrounded with in Nashville, they just became a serious cup contender...

Top 3 lines:

Kariya - Forsberg - Dumont

Erat - Arnott - Sullivan

Hartnell - Legwand - Radulov

Defense:

Zidlicky - Hamhuis

Timmonen - Weber

Vishnevski - Klein/Suter

Goal:

Vokoun

Mason

I don't see any holes...

Yeah that's quite a lineup. But as the playoffs have proved before, ANYTHING can happen. Should be fun.

Absolutely. But, I'm a Forsberg nut and I honestly believe he can dominate in the playoffs like he used to. If only one more time.

I wonder if he returns to Philly in the summer though - they improve a great deal with the draft picks and players acquired and if Forsberg returns, it really works in their favor. If Nashville wins the cup, it works out for both :stickhndl:

Yes I heard about this pretty much the same time as the article was posted on TSN. Wow! Go Preds, all the best to you however part of me worries as another expansion team is vying for the Cup.

What's the Preds cap space like? If they end up coming close this year and decide to go for it again next year, let's say they throw a boatload of money at Forsberg. Does he go back to Philly and 'rebuild' or does he stay in Nashville for another year or two and go for another Cup?

What's the Preds cap space like? If they end up coming close this year and decide to go for it again next year, let's say they throw a boatload of money at Forsberg. Does he go back to Philly and 'rebuild' or does he stay in Nashville for another year or two and go for another Cup?

I honestly think he will go to Philly. He's too proud to walk out on a team like that - I think he waived his NTC because going someplace as a rental helps Philly. If he returns after the playoffs, Philly has only gotten stronger, and lost nothing, because they're not in the playoff picture right now anyways. I think Foppa will love the opportunity for another cup, but I don't see him staying in Nashville. That's my guess, but I'm as curious as you are.

NOOOOO!!! I hate Nashville, sorry but I do and that was the last place I wanted to see him end up. Of course part of me was hoping Colorado, but man! Nashville... <_<

They are my favorites for the Cup, right there with Buffalo actually. They are making some good moves getting Vishnevsky and now Foppa. :blink:

Hate the Predators? You'd enjoy this article, then.

I' ve heard this deal being thrown around:

To Philadelphia:

*Scottie Upshall

*Ryan Parent

*3rd Round Pick

*1st Round Pick

To Nashville:

*Peter Forsberg

Nashville is definitely the favorite after this one but they better win it this year because they have given up a lot for this guy. I heard on the sportsnet broadcast that they really like Parent- is that guy the real deal. Certainly the Flyers needed speed on D and now they have it for the future. good trade for Philly.

Nashville is definitely the favorite after this one but they better win it this year because they have given up a lot for this guy. I heard on the sportsnet broadcast that they really like Parent- is that guy the real deal. Certainly the Flyers needed speed on D and now they have it for the future. good trade for Philly.

Parent is expected to be the real deal, but Nashville dealt from a position of power, because they've been great with scouting/drafting these past few years. Currently in their lineup are: Dan Hamhuis, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein, and Ryan Suter... each under 23 years old, each expected to be a top 4 guy. In the minors, even after trading Parent, they still have Cody Franson, and Teemu Laakso... also projected to be top 4 defenseman. Their future on the blueline is so secure that they can give a guy like Parent away freely. He's a blue chip prospect for sure, but he easily ranks behind Suter, Hamhuis and Weber and is tied by Klein and Franson. Add into the equation that their defense already features Zidlicky, Timonen and Vishnevski and they are looking good for the future (Vishnevski was born in '80). Meanwhile, Upshall was a former 6th overall pick and in that regard, kind of a bust. He is often a healthy scratch because Nashville had no room for him in an already stacked lineup. He may one day be a second liner, but he's not much to part with, really. The first round pick will be a late one, possibly 30th. The third round pick... well, it's almost a non-factor.

Parent is expected to be the real deal, but Nashville dealt from a position of power, because they've been great with scouting/drafting these past few years. Currently in their lineup are: Dan Hamhuis, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein, and Ryan Suter... each under 23 years old, each expected to be a top 4 guy. In the minors, even after trading Parent, they still have Cody Franson, and Teemu Laakso... also projected to be top 4 defenseman. Their future on the blueline is so secure that they can give a guy like Parent away freely. He's a blue chip prospect for sure, but he easily ranks behind Suter, Hamhuis and Weber and is tied by Klein and Franson. Add into the equation that their defense already features Zidlicky, Timonen and Vishnevski and they are looking good for the future (Vishnevski was born in '80). Meanwhile, Upshall was a former 6th overall pick and in that regard, kind of a bust. He is often a healthy scratch because Nashville had no room for him in an already stacked lineup. He may one day be a second liner, but he's not much to part with, really. The first round pick will be a late one, possibly 30th. The third round pick... well, it's almost a non-factor.

They certainly didn't give up much with that late round 1st pick. I hear ya on Parent in terms of their depth. I just think though that this is clearly a move to put them over the top this year as I don't think that they can have a realistic expectation that Forsberg will stick around next year. That being said, watch out for the Preds this year! I think Calgary will be strong in the playoffs and with the Ducks and Sharks also in the mix (and Detroit- yeesh) the Western Conference will be the one to watch come playoff time.

I don't know what its been about the Preds, but I've never liked them. They have built that team up very well and its too bad their leadership appears to be along the lines of the Blackhawks. That article is very interesting.

I've never liked the Preds either and there's something about the organization that still makes me not want to be a fan, but with their young defensive core of Weber, Hamhuis, Klein, Franson, and Suter, and the young stud Radulov up front, I was already showing interest this year. Bring in my favorite player and I have to break down and root for them, but that will change when Forsberg signs elsewhere or retires.

I never really disliked the Predators. I liked Karlis Skrastins when he played there and their logo, but that's about it. By process of elimination, they would be my favorite Central Division team by a mile, however. Kudos to TROTZ for being that franchise's one and only head coach. That's rare.

If I was them I'd keep their scouting staff forever. They seem to draft incredibly well and getting amazing trades like these:

They received Kimmo Timmonen (along with Jan Vopat) for future considerations (basically free) from LA

They picked up Marek Zidlikcy (and two other players Rem Murray, and Tomas Kloucek) from the Rangers for Mike Dunham

They got a solid backup in Chris Mason from the Waiver Draft

Lastly: They got Steve Sullivan for a pair of 2nd rounders.

I actually don't think luck has a lot to do with it. Those guys know what they're doing and it's showing now that the team is clicking.

I'm surprised that the Preds have actually lost two in a row since acquiring Forsberg. I watched most the game last night and they looked very sluggish.