Making a Profit From Other Collectors?

schulzmc

This came up in another thread and I thought it was worth it's own topic. In the past when I have sold jerseys to other collectors I've basically sold them for what I paid. Then again, I've bought jerseys from collectors that I'm sure were flipping something they had found for a profit, and I've had no problem with that. If they were able to use their knowledge to find a gem I want and want to make some money to finance their hobby, so be it.

What do you all think?

Couldnt care less. I set the price and get what I wanted for it. not going to get upset at what the buyer does with it if I got what I wanted.

if its someone you deal with alot or they are buying a huge lot of jerseys from you, give them a price break.

But some of us (like me) dont use our private money whenever possible for the jersey collecting. I buy and resell jerseys all the darn time on ebay craigslist, etc. You arent obliged to give someone "in the hobby" a good deal or just break even just because they collect jerseys too. Usually ill give a better than ebay deal to forum members, but maybe just free shipping or something like that. Why sell something for less when the demand is high? youre just shooting yourself in the foot to be "nice"..

This came up in another thread and I thought it was worth it's own topic. In the past when I have sold jerseys to other collectors I've basically sold them for what I paid. Then again, I've bought jerseys from collectors that I'm sure were flipping something they had found for a profit, and I've had no problem with that. If they were able to use their knowledge to find a gem I want and want to make some money to finance their hobby, so be it.

What do you all think?

I think it depends on the situation, if you run into financial troubles like im sure most of us have from time to time (recenty happened to me) than we might have to sell off some rarer jerseys because we know they will have the greatest return. But i would never try and work a deal with another collector and get a jersey at a fair price just to turn around and sell it solely for a profit. Mostly every jersey i have ever sold has been because i have been forced to, trying to collect hockey jerseys while still in college is a challenge sometimes.

Here is my take on this since I posted the comment in the thread , I have no problem with a member asking about a jersey if they have a third party interested either thru ebay,another site or a friend .Then its out in the open and we can agree on a said price so either both parties or happy . My problem is members on this and other boards trolling our threads and giving the hard luck story IT MY GRAIL JERSEY ,I HAVE BEEN LOOKING TO ADD THIS TO MY COLLECTION FOR YEARS ,MY DAD LOVES THAT STYLLE .When all they are looking for is a low ball price and I have given this to members thinking they are truthfuly only to see it up on ebay .

So from now on I will be more picky with the members I deal with in selling jerseys , and I have heard the other side I paid for it I can do want I want this is try but the way you got it it the issue .

When I sell my jerseys I usually try to break even, or get back what I paid for it. In some cases I get less than what I paid for it. But I think it depends on how badly one wants to sell the jersey. If you need the cash, then chances are one would take a lower offer; at least I go by this sometimes. My sales also depend on the market. If jerseys are going at ridiculously low prices, then I may not be able to get the value for my jersey.

But the bottom line is I don't try and flip jerseys, especially to people on the boards. I might charge a little more if I place the item on ebay, but that is ONLY because of the 13% fee commission of PayPal + ebay.

Explicitly making a profit from other collectors isn't really fair, I feel. I think that we are a community here and we ought to build relationships. You burn a lot of bridges that way if it's not in the open. I just sold a nice lot of stuff to a possible reseller on here but I don't mind because we made an agreed price and he was more than fair and courteous the whole time.

But the one thing is, if you don't like the price offered on here, it's always possible to sell on eBay. If you think someone is trying to lowball you, tell them and let it be done with. I can agree with cowboys in that in that it is disrespectful to keep shooting bad offers at someone and harassing them. It will make you get a lot of enemies in the hobby, especially if you just resell as soon as you get it.

I personally buy and sell jerseys all the time. I don't think I have resold anything I got from someone on here yet but when I do, of course I will ask for what I think is a good price. However, I do not go out of my way to buy from people here and re-sell immediately because I want to be a respected collector. It's not all about the money. If you can get a good relationship with people on here, they will help you out and vice versa. I got a message from someone the other day who knew my collection style and let me know of something he saw. I really appreciate that! Makes our jobs finding stuff for our collections easier for sure.

I finance much of my collection through re-selling, but I do that through other means by focusing on other avenues for purchase like buying from eBay and re-selling on eBay. I also have a changing collection from when I started and now I want to move in a different direction, so I am selling what I had. You don't always make money or even break-even but I think that if you plan to be a part of this community, you have to have some respect for those you want to trade with and not gouge eachother on prices.

Explicitly making a profit from other collectors isn't really fair, I feel. I think that we are a community here and we ought to build relationships. You burn a lot of bridges that way if it's not in the open. I just sold a nice lot of stuff to a possible reseller on here but I don't mind because we made an agreed price and he was more than fair and courteous the whole time.

But the one thing is, if you don't like the price offered on here, it's always possible to sell on eBay. If you think someone is trying to lowball you, tell them and let it be done with. I can agree with cowboys in that in that it is disrespectful to keep shooting bad offers at someone and harassing them. It will make you get a lot of enemies in the hobby, especially if you just resell as soon as you get it.

I personally buy and sell jerseys all the time. I don't think I have resold anything I got from someone on here yet but when I do, of course I will ask for what I think is a good price. However, I do not go out of my way to buy from people here and re-sell immediately because I want to be a respected collector. It's not all about the money. If you can get a good relationship with people on here, they will help you out and vice versa. I got a message from someone the other day who knew my collection style and let me know of something he saw. I really appreciate that! Makes our jobs finding stuff for our collections easier for sure.

I finance much of my collection through re-selling, but I do that through other means by focusing on other avenues for purchase like buying from eBay and re-selling on eBay. I also have a changing collection from when I started and now I want to move in a different direction, so I am selling what I had. You don't always make money or even break-even but I think that if you plan to be a part of this community, you have to have some respect for those you want to trade with and not gouge eachother on prices.

I do not think I would buy something from a member here and then immediately try and re-sell to another member. If I get something from a collector here and then need to sell it down the road I would try and make a profit if I sold it on EBay, or at least make my money back, but every jersey I have bought from guys here I have held onto.

I have no issue finding a great deal on Ebay and then sellling here or on EBay and trying to make a profit. As a lot of folks have said a fair price is what a person is willing to pay. If you are unhappy with a price it is up to you to find a deal somewhere else.

I do try and find rare ones at a steal price on Ebay with the intention of possibly trading it down the line for something that is worth more than what I paid for the steal. I think that is also totally kosher.

Every hobby has its flippers,sob story artists, disrespectful people. As long as their is a buck to be made people have gone to great links to make it. Even when it's illegal, china nock offs for example. But if your honest and truthful, you also need to have eyes in the back of your head, while one shakes hands with the devil you have to ask where is the devils other hand? It's in your back pocket helping himself to your wallet. Just remember that when your working with would be flippers. You have something they want, giving you the upper hand.

When I sell my jerseys I usually try to break even, or get back what I paid for it. In some cases I get less than what I paid for it. But I think it depends on how badly one wants to sell the jersey. If you need the cash, then chances are one would take a lower offer; at least I go by this sometimes. My sales also depend on the market. If jerseys are going at ridiculously low prices, then I may not be able to get the value for my jersey.

But the bottom line is I don't try and flip jerseys, especially to people on the boards. I might charge a little more if I place the item on ebay, but that is ONLY because of the 13% fee commission of PayPal + ebay.

The one exception to my reasoning I can think of is, say, if I find a legit authentic customized on ebay for $50, I would try and sell it at a "fair" price such as $150. I know that's technically "flipping" it, as it's initially a deal/steal, but I believe in this case I would not be cheating anyone because I would consider $150 for a customized legit authentic a fair price.

The one exception to my reasoning I can think of is, say, if I find a legit authentic customized on ebay for $50, I would try and sell it at a "fair" price such as $150. I know that's technically "flipping" it, as it's initially a deal/steal, but I believe in this case I would not be cheating anyone because I would consider $150 for a customized legit authentic a fair price.

Agree as stated my problem is when Guys /Girls give thr hard luck story or troll on here for the only purpose is to resell . I sold on here to memebers saying they have a friend or I am making a trade with someone and they want a certain jersey as long as it open and all parties come to a price and understanding .

I'm trying to get on Hoarders so everything I get I keep.

Never had anyone try to snag something from me and sell it later but I imagine I'd be a little miffed if I did see it.

I like to think everyone on this board isn't in it to screw anybody and for the most part anyone I have dealt with has been fair or we just agreed we could not work a deal.

I guess if you know of someone on here flipping - or - trying to turn our hobby into a money maker, I would think they should be banned from the board.

We're all here for fun, to show off our collection and maybe find a deal / steal on our Grail jersey list, I don't agree with someone taking advantage of it.

I read through most of the thread. Sorry if my feelings are already said, but here we go!

I don't think people should be looking for handouts, just because we are all collectors here. However, don't take advantage of someone on the board. Charge whatever you want on eBay, but don't come on here and look to rip someone off. Most of us know what each other have paid for a jerey. Don't list it on here if you want a huge profit. I pretty much list everything of mine at cost, or a couple of dollars more (part of negotiation. I honestly do not expect any one to accept my price without negotiation--its human nature to ask to take something off/throw something in)

I have bought something and then needed to sell it the next day due to a rarer jersey popping up. I do not have a job, so if I want jersey money, I need to sell some stuff--for profit--and I usually will list it on eBay instead of here.

I will never buy a jersey from someone on here and then resell it on eBay.

Also, my stuff really isn't marquee, so I don't expect anyone to pay a premium on my crap!

I'm trying to get on Hoarders so everything I get I keep.

Never had anyone try to snag something from me and sell it later but I imagine I'd be a little miffed if I did see it.

I like to think everyone on this board isn't in it to screw anybody and for the most part anyone I have dealt with has been fair or we just agreed we could not work a deal.

I guess if you know of someone on here flipping - or - trying to turn our hobby into a money maker, I would think they should be banned from the board.

We're all here for fun, to show off our collection and maybe find a deal / steal on our Grail jersey list, I don't agree with someone taking advantage of it.

Good point about flipping and banning. I like that idea. Maybe we could extend guam64's responsibilities as the "jersey flipping" police in addition to the jersey foul police. :lol:

I think a place like this is, ultimately to strike a deal for a jersey, instead of having to go to ebay. On ebay there are usually a lot of decent deals/steals. Only problem is sometimes the price gets driven up by others and/or sniping. I also don't like sometimes sellers put reserves on items which can be unreasonable.

This issue shall be put to the test after this SVP sale.

Generally if I buy something strictly to flip it won't ever end up on this site. I know a lot of people here to well and have made a lot of good deals with folks so stuff I sell on here I try not to make a profit on, just try to make back the money I paid for it. I save the flipping for ebay, times are tough and we all need money for various projects so it's often a good way to make that money quickly.

I will admit on a few occasions to have sold items for pretty large profit, but generally that comes when I throw something into the arrival thread and another member wants it and makes an offer I just can't turn down. My Wildwing jersey comes to mind, but I view that as a case of somebody really wanting something and willing to pay for it. I have no problems with flipping but personally I think it should be kept off this site...or if you are going to flip something don't advertise what you paid for it.

I have no problems with flipping but personally I think it should be kept off this site...or if you are going to flip something don't advertise what you paid for it.

THIS :thumbsup:

Basically echoing the thoughts of others, I think of eBay is the wild west, anything goes; but if you come here be respectful of your fellow collectors and the community as a whole. You don't have to offer handouts, but for me atleast, it's quite gratifying to see a jersey of mine go to a fellow collector who will enjoy it.

It certainly sucks if someone haggles with you only to turn around and flip it right away, but in general, once you sell it, it's someone else's property and they're free to do with it what they wish, in my opinion. If someone collects with the intention of selling, that's honestly a legitimate way to make money, so it's not that big of a deal in my opinion (again, I can understand being annoyed if someone haggles only to flip though).

It certainly sucks if someone haggles with you only to turn around and flip it right away, but in general, once you sell it, it's someone else's property and they're free to do with it what they wish, in my opinion. If someone collects with the intention of selling, that's honestly a legitimate way to make money, so it's not that big of a deal in my opinion (again, I can understand being annoyed if someone haggles only to flip though).

Buy, sell, trade; for some people that's the name of the game. Not me though.

Would offering memebers $150 be asking to much for a 2.0 rbk? I dont think so.

After all it better then paying $199 + tx + shipping just for a 1.0 right? Thats a great deal for people who don't live near a SVP store right now IMO.

Knowing what the guy paid for it might leave a bitter taste but the fact they are still getting a steal on it makes room for everyone to happy. the seller and the buyer.

I personally only get sick of selling/trading stuff to someone and then seeing them list the price at 2x the amount like a week after you trade it.

I personally only get sick of selling/trading stuff to someone and then seeing them list the price at 2x the amount like a week after you trade it.

Yeah I know what you mean. Not a fan either. Shame is I know some people who do it, but I will "take the fifth" on who it is.

I have just started to sell/trade a few of my older authentics lately, although my intent isn't to profit....its to move into more desirable jerseys.

I usually make sure I break even. I don't think I would let a Jersey go at a substantial loss...unless the story is the same in the trade return.

I started this collection buying premiers a few years ago, and found out the hard way that really only authentics hold their value.

I lost on average 50-75 bucks a jersey moving these. I had hoped to offset that loss somehow. Rest assured it won't be to people here.

I have listed a few that I have bought and or traded for on ebay, some at a markup to test the waters, so to say.

Like I have said before, all you really have here is your word....and of you screw over fellow forum members, they may refuse to deal with you. And there's not much you can do about that after the fact.