Future Hall of Famers

Mach_9

LordStanley1893 posted a fun topic with the "Favorite Hall of Famer" thread; I figured I'd build off the idea and make this one to parallel it. First go ahead and list your favorite current players that are all but guaranteed to one day be in the hall. After that, go ahead and make some bold predictions with regards to players way too young to be sure fire HOF'ers and let us know who you pegged. Don't bother saying "Sidney Crosby". He's got 95 points in 56 games and we can pretty well assume he'll be a 100 point scorer annually, hitting 1,000 points before he's 30, if he doesn't have any big injuries.

Hmm players that will be in: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Chris Chellios

Young players that I would like to see make it: Rick Nash, Kari Lehtonen, Dion Phaneuf, and Jason Spezza.

There are plenty of guys I can think to guarantee will have a space in the hall some day. Besides the guys you've all mentioned, Forsberg, Lidstrom, and Shannahan come to mind. As for distant future predictions...

I can see Ilya Kovalchuk hitting a hot patch in the future and having a few really phenominal, memorable years (I could also see him fading...).

I think LeCavalier is on his way up and up and up and...

If Phaneuf and the Flames have a couple of cup runs, and Phaneuf develops into the captain he should some day be, I think Dion will have a great career.

Thomas Vanek could down in history as the best Austrian to come over and play.

Anze Kopitar is a wild-card - one day he could be dominant. Absolutely dominant. And I don't mean like Crosby is "dominating" the scoring race. I mean dominant like Forsberg in his prime.

duh I can't believe I forgot Lidstrom & Shanahan maybe that's because I don't have much love for the Wings. Cujo is borderline IMO.

No way Cujo gets in. A couple of first round upsets in Edmonton aside, he choked in every opportunity to win the big game. My theory is if you have to think about it, then the guy doesn't deserve to be in.

No way Cujo gets in. A couple of first round upsets in Edmonton aside, he choked in every opportunity to win the big game. My theory is if you have to think about it, then the guy doesn't deserve to be in.

He's never really seemed like the guy who can get a team over the hump in the playoffs, hasn't he been to the Conference finals just once in his career? No disrespect to him, but he's always seemed a little streaky.

Exactly. He was not a big game goalie. Even with Detroit, one of the best teams of the decade, playoff fate? Swept by Anaheim in '03, beaten in six by Calgary in '04.

With the lack of physicality in the league these last few years, I think longevity might have to be looked at when it comes to some of these guys stats. Look at a guy like Joe Nieuwendyk. He'll be on the ballot. 564 goals but he played for 21 years. Does he get in? Mike Bossy played 10 seasons and scored 573 goals. He averaged 57 goals a year. Nieuwendyk averaged 26. I don't know...I really think tenure has to be accounted for. If a ~25 goals a year guy plays for 20+ years, he'll hit 500. Is he Hall worthy?

Exactly. He was not a big game goalie. Even with Detroit, one of the best teams of the decade, playoff fate? Swept by Anaheim in '03, beaten in six by Calgary in '04.

With the lack of physicality in the league these last few years, I think longevity might have to be looked at when it comes to some of these guys stats. Look at a guy like Joe Nieuwendyk. He'll be on the ballot. 564 goals but he played for 21 years. Does he get in? Mike Bossy played 10 seasons and scored 573 goals. He averaged 57 goals a year. Nieuwendyk averaged 26. I don't know...I really think tenure has to be accounted for. If a ~25 goals a year guy plays for 20+ years, he'll hit 500. Is he Hall worthy?

A very good point and I say no, unless he's a 25 goal, 50 assist guy, annually. Or if he was a great leader or brought some major intangibles to the table. There's a lot to look at and I don't think that a long career that eventually drags past the 500 goal mark should be grounds for a hall nomination, let alone selection, on it's own.

That sweep by Anaheim was hardly his fault. Playoffs aside he has some impressive numbers especially in the most important category of wins. 50 shutouts, 2.77 GAA and a .907 sv % While the sv % and GAA are not excellent they aren't terrible. Looking at his playoff career it looks like his team has let him down. 16 SOs 2.43 GAA and a .924 sv % in 131 games are great numbers.

There are plenty of guys I can think to guarantee will have a space in the hall some day. Besides the guys you've all mentioned, Forsberg, Lidstrom, and Shannahan come to mind. As for distant future predictions...

I can see Ilya Kovalchuk hitting a hot patch in the future and having a few really phenominal, memorable years (I could also see him fading...).

I think LeCavalier is on his way up and up and up and...

If Phaneuf and the Flames have a couple of cup runs, and Phaneuf develops into the captain he should some day be, I think Dion will have a great career.

Thomas Vanek could down in history as the best Austrian to come over and play.

Anze Kopitar is a wild-card - one day he could be dominant. Absolutely dominant. And I don't mean like Crosby is "dominating" the scoring race. I mean dominant like Forsberg in his prime.

I agree with your Kopitar assesment. That kid has such great hockey "sense" and a nose for the net. I am really interested to see how he develops.

I also think Miller and Kipper have shots as goalies and although I am a Sabres fan and like Vanek, he seems to coast too much and I worry that he is only a goal scorer in the 30 per year range without the accompanying assists (23 and 27 on a high scoring Buffalo team).

I agree with your Kopitar assesment. That kid has such great hockey "sense" and a nose for the net. I am really interested to see how he develops.

I like Kopitar too. He really impressed me when he was on the ice when I saw the Kings play the Coyotes earlier this season. There was something about his play that was really fun to watch. You could tell the Kings got a good one with him.

But being on three teams to win a cup does, and winning a Conne Smythe, being the assistant captain on each of those teams, having two 50 goal seasons, 500 goals, and 1000 points even after all his injuries, the Olympic gold medal, being one of the best playoff performers of all time, and being one of the classiest guys in hockey. Hall of famer WITHOUT A DOUBT!

_39364724_nieuwendyk_300.jpg180px-Joenieuwendyk.jpg

I love seeing him in a Leaf uniform...

But being on three teams to win a cup does, and winning a Conne Smythe, being the assistant captain on each of those teams, having two 50 goal seasons, 500 goals, and 1000 points even after all his injuries, the Olympic gold medal, being one of the best playoff performers of all time, and being one of the classiest guys in hockey. Hall of famer WITHOUT A DOUBT!

_39364724_nieuwendyk_300.jpg180px-Joenieuwendyk.jpg

I love seeing him in a Leaf uniform...

He is a classy guy, but the stats are waterdowned with the quantity of games played there are many other guys would should get in first. Rogie Vachon the LA goalie is one that comes to mind.

Paul Henderson, Dave Taylor, Steve Larmer, Doug Gilmour, Tim Kerr. You know, I'd put Wendel Clark in there, BALLS!

Henderson would only get in there because of that one goal, but I have wondered if international achievements for the most part are snubbed (some exceptions like Tretiak) so you may put him in there since it was such a big goal.

He scored three game winners that series, and was an overall great player.

That is basically what I meant he had a small time frame where he was very good, thus is where the conflict is on how much that performance should be weighted against NHL stats.

So you'd add a guy into the Hall of Fame for scoring a goal in a game that had nothing to do with the NHL regular season or playoffs? I don't know about that. That's like saying Joe Carter gets the Hall for hitting the 3-run homer to win the 1993 World Series.