Nameplates Needed

chow_hound

Looking for white or burgundy Starter mesh for 95-00 Avs jerseys (not sure if Pro Player used the same material, someone here probably knows)

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a question for the experts about Pro Player replica jerseys: Did Pro Player use the same material for all of their replicas? The reason I ask is because I have an Avs PP replica I'd like to take in to Denver Athletic but since they don't carry nameplate material, I have to provide my own. Seems like there's quite a few affordable replica PP listings on Ebay, but for different teams and a pic on a computer screen makes it difficult to tell if the material is the same. If I knew it was the same material, I'd drop the cash on one to sacrifice for nameplate material. Anyone know? Thanks all.

Are you looking for a maroon nameplate or a white one?

Are you looking for a maroon nameplate or a white one?

White. Sorry, should've specified. And it needs to be a good sized piece of material to accommodate DA's curve and a long name like Laperriere, which is why I'm thinking of getting a full jersey to sacrifice.

No problem. Actually I figured you probably wanted a white because to get a maroon you'd basically have to buy another identical Avs replica to match the color, but I just thought I'd ask to be sure. Anyway, I haven't seen every team's ProPlayer replicas but almost all of them that I've seen seem to have the same airknit hole pattern, except for the Canadiens, which looks more ultrafil-like. So my guess is you'd be fairly safe with any of the white ones except Montreal.

As particular as I am about these things, if I had a replica I don't know how worried I'd be about an exact match, only because the Avs ProPlayer authentics were made of a completely different material (mesh) than the replicas, so no matter what you do it won't be the same as the authentic. But there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to match the plate material to the jersey back material as closely as possible.

No problem. Actually I figured you probably wanted a white because to get a maroon you'd basically have to buy another identical Avs replica to match the color, but I just thought I'd ask to be sure. Anyway, I haven't seen every team's ProPlayer replicas but almost all of them that I've seen seem to have the same airknit hole pattern, except for the Canadiens, which looks more ultrafil-like. So my guess is you'd be fairly safe with any of the white ones except Montreal.

As particular as I am about these things, if I had a replica I don't know how worried I'd be about an exact match, only because the Avs ProPlayer authentics were made of a completely different material (mesh) than the replicas, so no matter what you do it won't be the same as the authentic. But there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to match the plate material to the jersey back material as closely as possible.

Thanks for the info. Glad I asked, as ironically, there is a Canadiens jersey currently on Ebay that I was going to bid on, but if it's not the same...

If I can, I'd like an exact match. I just got the idea and started looking for other teams' jerseys today. The Avs' Starter replica material is a close match in consistency (feel/weight) but like you said, the hole pattern is noticeably different. Worst case I'll find a Starter Avs replica to buy on the cheap and go that route.

As LAK74 pointed out, the Canadians' PP replica was ultrafil. Fairly thick, BTW. As for the others, they did make replica jerseys in both Korea and Canada, so there are some differences. I have a Stars' white PP replica from both Korea and Canada and the material was a little different. So be careful about assumptions, but I think you would be close no matter what.

As LAK74 pointed out, the Canadians' PP replica was ultrafil. Fairly thick, BTW. As for the others, they did make replica jerseys in both Korea and Canada, so there are some differences. I have a Stars' white PP replica from both Korea and Canada and the material was a little different. So be careful about assumptions, but I think you would be close no matter what.

Thanks for the info. Just checked and mine was made in Korea. Easy question to ask sellers on Ebay, and since it's a replica I'm ok with close.

I was looking around on eBay at some ProPlayer replicas, and I found this rather weird Avs one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330707358103?redirect=mobile#ht_1459wt_922

It's made of knit material (not mesh), it has a sleeve logo and the Conference logo on the hem like a replica would, but it has a Starter-era numeric size tag and a Center Ice tag (different from the usual PP authentic ones). It's probably an early version, but I still thought it was strange to see a replica with a numeric size and Center Ice label.

I was looking around on eBay at some ProPlayer replicas, and I found this rather weird Avs one:

http://www.ebay.com/...e#ht_1459wt_922

It's made of knit material (not mesh), it has a sleeve logo and the Conference logo on the hem like a replica would, but it has a Starter-era numeric size tag and a Center Ice tag (different from the usual PP authentic ones). It's probably an early version, but I still thought it was strange to see a replica with a numeric size and Center Ice label.

That is weird. I'm far from an expert, but I've seen a few Avs jerseys. It almost feels like a re-build faked to pass off and sell as an authentic (very poorly faked, if so). First of all, listing it as a '95-'96 jersey is totally wrong. Starter made Avs jerseys until 2000, PP didn't start until 2000. Material is wrong - for an authentic, like you said. It looks like the same material as my burgundy PP replica. The shoulder patches are the ones CCM used on their replicas, and the crest is way smaller than any other PP replica I've seen. I've never seen a tag like the center ice tag either, and the size tag could easily have been retro-sewn in. I suppose it could be an early version of their replica, but I'd know those CCM replica shoulder patches anywhere, & I don't see how shoulder patches could end up on a jersey manufactured a year before the patches were made. So, we have a PP jersey with Starter numeric tagging and CCM shoulder patches. I guess you'd have to ask for $150 claiming its "rarity" after all that work.

That is weird. I'm far from an expert, but I've seen a few Avs jerseys. It almost feels like a re-build faked to pass off and sell as an authentic (very poorly faked, if so). First of all, listing it as a '95-'96 jersey is totally wrong. Starter made Avs jerseys until 2000, PP didn't start until 2000. Material is wrong - for an authentic, like you said. It looks like the same material as my burgundy PP replica. The shoulder patches are the ones CCM used on their replicas, and the crest is way smaller than any other PP replica I've seen. I've never seen a tag like the center ice tag either, and the size tag could easily have been retro-sewn in. I suppose it could be an early version of their replica, but I'd know those CCM replica shoulder patches anywhere, & I don't see how shoulder patches could end up on a jersey manufactured a year before the patches were made. So, we have a PP jersey with Starter numeric tagging and CCM shoulder patches. I guess you'd have to ask for $150 claiming its "rarity" after all that work.

Not very astute to leave the "Value City" retail price sticker of $29.99 on a jersey you are trying to get $150 for. Nice to see that it came from El Salvador.

Man...I remember that Value City sale. Picked up a Sens third, and practice jerseys for the Habs and Leafs. Wish I'd bought at least a dozen more.

Just a refresher for those who need it.

I have:

BLACK CCM ULTRAFIL MATERIAL

WHITE CCM ULTRAFIL MATERIAL

Both are original authentic and hand cut from jerseys (don't worry, they didn't mind :P)

PM me if you need a certain length or size.

Material is wrong - for an authentic, like you said. It looks like the same material as my burgundy PP replica. The shoulder patches are the ones CCM used on their replicas... I'd know those CCM replica shoulder patches anywhere, & I don't see how shoulder patches could end up on a jersey manufactured a year before the patches were made.

Just out of curiosity, are your burgundy and white PP Avs replicas made of different materials? This may affect whether the white PP replicas (for nameplates) I mentioned earlier would match your white replica.

Btw, CCM made Avs replicas during the Starter years, so those patches were already in existence when the PP "replica" was made. But you're right, those sure don't look like PP/Starter patches. The jersey is an interesting hodgepodge of different companies' materials!

Just out of curiosity, are your burgundy and white PP Avs replicas made of different materials? This may affect whether the white PP replicas (for nameplates) I mentioned earlier would match your white replica.

Btw, CCM made Avs replicas during the Starter years, so those patches were already in existence when the PP "replica" was made. But you're right, those sure don't look like PP/Starter patches. The jersey is an interesting hodgepodge of different companies' materials!

Both dark and white are made of the same material. Similar in feel to the Starter avs replicas - soft, smooth, and heavy, but different hole pattern. I didn't know CCM made replicas in the '90s. All I ever saw around town were Starters. When CCM got the contract for jerseys and I saw that horrid shoulder patch, I boycotted and swore I'd never spend the money on another replica until they changed manufacturers, and since I couldn't afford an authentic, the only thing I bought was a burgundy 3rd replica (no footprint shoulder patches). Then reebok screwed everything up and absolutely ruined the Avs' jerseys, which is why I stick to vintage authentics and high quality vintage replicas, and patiently wait until someone comes to their senses and re-designs the Avs jerseys.

Thanks. You know, I should have just asked you straight away- on the backs of your Avs jerseys is the airknit pattern just simple rows of prominent single holes, as you can see in the neck tag photo of this Hawks jersey?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vintage-Youth-Pro-Player-CHICAGO-BLACKHAWKS-Replica-Jersey-White-sz-S-M-/140787106103?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item20c790c137#ht_2699wt_689

This is what most PP replicas seem to have, so if yours is like that, hopefully you'll have an easier time matching it if you buy another white PP replica.

I didn't know CCM made replicas in the '90s. All I ever saw around town were Starters.

Yep, here's one of the mid/late 90's CCM replicas with the hockey rink neck tag and the Avs team logo on the hem:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCM-Colorado-Avalanche-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-size-XL-/261065390511?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item3cc8b5b9af

Man...I remember that Value City sale. Picked up a Sens third, and practice jerseys for the Habs and Leafs. Wish I'd bought at least a dozen more.

That's where the bulk of my collection came from. They bought the Starter inventory first, and then the Pro Player a year later. I'll still never forget the night I stopped in one on my way home from work and a whole wall of jerseys was there. I left with a big bag full of (mostly) authentic jerseys and an AMEX card that was too hot to put back in my wallet. The Pro Player inventory was much less due to the fact that they only had a little less than a year's worth of inventory to get rid of, whereas Starter had about 4 or 5 years of stuff, NFL, MLB, and NBA also. Those really were the days.

I was living in Virginia at the time, but visiting my folks in Akron. My car'd died literally the day before so I didn't feel too good about dropping a ton of cash on jerseys. Love to happen upon a motherlode like that again.

Thanks. You know, I should have just asked you straight away- on the backs of your Avs jerseys is the airknit pattern just simple rows of prominent single holes, as you can see in the neck tag photo of this Hawks jersey?:

http://www.ebay.com/...7#ht_2699wt_689

This is what most PP replicas seem to have, so if yours is like that, hopefully you'll have an easier time matching it if you buy another white PP replica.

Yup, that looks just like it. There are a couple I could end up getting for around $10 to $12 with shipping so I think I'll be in luck.

As for the CCMs in the '90s - that just seems bizarre. I've lived in/around Denver my whole life and been an Avs fanatic since they arrived and never noticed anything but Starters and Pro Players up until 2001. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention & went under the assumption that whoever had the team contract had exclusive rights to the merchandising. So, how do I go about differentiating between a '90s CCM replica and a post-2000 CCM replica?

So, how do I go about differentiating between a '90s CCM replica and a post-2000 CCM replica?

Easy. 1990's have the large CCM block logo on the hem, and have the hockey rink neck label, or if very late 1990's, the blue and black neck label with the CCM logo at the top and the Canadian flag at the bottom. For post-2000, the CCM logo got moved to right under the back collar, and the neck label is now the white/blue/gray one with the "Official Licensed Jersey" on it. Some of these have the NHL puck logo on the hem (but not all of them). Also, as the 2000's went on, the replicas started being made in Indonesia.

In the 1990's, CCM, Starter and ProPlayer all made replica jerseys even for teams for which they did not make the authentics. This is why you see so many 90's CCM Rangers Liberty jerseys, Starter Caps, ProPlayer Kings, etc.

Easy. 1990's have the large CCM block logo on the hem, and have the hockey rink neck label, or if very late 1990's, the blue and black neck label with the CCM logo at the top and the Canadian flag at the bottom. For post-2000, the CCM logo got moved to right under the back collar, and the neck label is now the white/blue/gray one with the "Official Licensed Jersey" on it. Some of these have the NHL puck logo on the hem (but not all of them). Also, as the 2000's went on, the replicas started being made in Indonesia.

In the 1990's, CCM, Starter and ProPlayer all made replica jerseys even for teams for which they did not make the authentics. This is why you see so many 90's CCM Rangers Liberty jerseys, Starter Caps, ProPlayer Kings, etc.

Nice - this is great info. I have always noticed the difference in logos on the hem vs. neck as well as the NHL puck/team logo on the hem. I guess I never looked hard enough at the games to notice back then and just assumed they were made after CCM got the league-wide contract. Thanks for continuing my education & also for all your efforts helping with the PP material stuff.

You're quite welcome!