how long have you been collecting jerseys?

oars

I'm not a collector, but I do think it's interesting. I'm new to these forums and have enjoyed reading, and learning from, the threads so far.

What got you into it, and how long have you been collecting?

(Sorry if there's already a post similar to this, I couldn't find one in the search.)

Got my first when I was 7 (still have it) and have been asking for jerseys for birthday presents/gifts since (well, now cash so I can buy the jerseys I want), so I have been collecting for almost 12 years.

Nice! I was just thinking today about how I had a youth Blackhawks jersey in like 4th grade. Wish I still had it, I don't even remember who was on it. :(

I bought my first hockey jersey in 1982 or 1983 while I was in high school. I still have that jersey.

Strangely, I've always kind of liked jerseys, but I never bought my first one until about a year and a half ago. It was seconds after buying it that I realized I'd been missing out on something that I should have started years ago. I joined this forum a few months later when I decided I wanted to learn as much as a I could about fakes and the hobby in general before I started to buy more. It's the reason I've been able to avoid fakes entirely. Realistically, I've only truly been collecting jerseys for about a year and I think I have 16 right now. I'd probably have more if I didn't decide to focus more time and money on actually customizing the things. I kind of look at it as the adult version of collecting cards, and I get a very similar sort of enjoyment out of it. I very much enjoy the hunting down and trading aspect of it, as well. I'm just more annoyed with myself that it took me so long to realize this. I have vivid memories of being a kid and there being another kid in my class that wore an Yzerman jersey all the time and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

I had two jerseys, a North Stars and a Gophers college jersey until one day...

I went to a Gopher exhibition game against Dynamo Moscow from the then Soviet Union. Their players could not exchange rubles for dollars because of the strained relations during the Cold War, so they needed to trade and sell stuff to be able to go home with desired western goods. I ended up getting a home and road pair of game worn jerseys as well as a stick. After that each time a Soviet or Czech team came to town I'd go on the prowl for some jerseys. That was the late, late 1980's and up until 1993 or so when communism fell and those teams stopped coming over on tours.

Then in 1999 I joined ebay... Then things really took off in a big way.

I got my first one at 11 (1993) but I wouldn't say I started "collecting" them until about 2001. I had a pretty formidable collection of NBA jerseys by then and some other scattered stuff.

Strangely, I've always kind of liked jerseys, but I never bought my first one until about a year and a half ago. It was seconds after buying it that I realized I'd been missing out on something that I should have started years ago. I joined this forum a few months later when I decided I wanted to learn as much as a I could about fakes and the hobby in general before I started to buy more. It's the reason I've been able to avoid fakes entirely. Realistically, I've only truly been collecting jerseys for about a year and I think I have 16 right now

That pretty much sums up my story too. Only real difference being that my first jersey was an impulse buy a year and a half ago, and I still regret it but that jersey got me started down this road and led me here. I've really only been collecting (there I said it) for about a year myself, and I've got 25ish jerseys between hockey, baseball and football. I'm finishing up my Yankees project that I sent to Mike and then I'm done buying or lettering anything for a while.

I have been collecting authentic jerseys since last February. I am almost done collecting. I just need one more jersey and need to customize 2. I am getting 3 back in a couple of months.

i have been collecting for the better part of 15 years back then things were much cheaper and had a ton more wear. The materials were cooler too back then it was easy to tell the difference between a gamer and an authentic. Of course things have changed some for the better but for the most part the hobby is run by money hungry companies who care only about profit rather then preservation of hockey history. I understand the money aspect of it don't get me worn i have benefited form it as much as anyone but things were different before the hobby exploded in the late 90's.

it's a great hobby with tons of great people from all walks of life the unfortunate thing is in my humble opinion the newer collectors seem to think it's theres to do what they want with. I am very excited by teams begging to microchip jerseys like the pens and tampa bay i think this will faze out monopolies that certain companies have in selling jerseys and allow teams to market there own jerseys. Again this won't mean cheaper prices but at least the money goes back in tot he team and not a private company. I have consigned 2/3 of my collection now and considering selling the other 1/3 not sure what will happen but if it ends its been a fun ride.

1336346128[/url]' post='93927']

I have consigned 2/3 of my collection now and considering selling the other 1/3 not sure what will happen but if it ends its been a fun ride.

Ok - truly not trying to start something here... But how can you, based on what you have said recently here on this board, consign your collection? Wouldn't you want to screen buyers so they share your passion for preserving the history of the jerseys?

that is a very fair question, but i don't think i can control who buys my jerseys, if i did it would definitely hamper my ability to sell the jerseys. However i am sure they will find good homes and as far as i know no card companies have accounts at classic (most are owned and operated in the u.s). That being said nothing prevents a card company rep from registering and bidding.

You have to understand where i am coming from on my opinions i have no issue someone selling what belongs to them for profit. What i had/have an issue is simply being the hobby for profit. i have been vocal about about our collective responsibility to preserve jerseys while collecting eventually all our jersey will leave us either given to our loved ones or sold for profit. Its what we do with them while they are in possession that we can control. This thread is not about me if you want to have a discussion pm me. I was simply offering my take on how the hobby has evolved for better and worse.

for the record i think there is a lot of great collectors on this board and the vast majority are great guys from what i can tell as well.