What's the point of autographed jerseys?

StayFrosty

Keep in mind that what I say here is based on my own ignorant assumptions.

Certainly this is a stupid question from a certain point of view. Obviously an autographed jersey is worth more money. But isn't it considered rude to get a player to sign something, and then go out and sell it the next day? And if you keep it, at what point do you sell it? Do you wait until the player dies, and then go and make money off his death? And if you never plan on selling it, what good is the jersey to you besides setimental value? Don't get me wrong - if you're a big collector, the jersey certainly has meaning for you. But for most people, I don't see how they'd get any real benefit from having an autographed jersey, since it will likely be packed away or something. I also don't see why an average fan would want some framed autographed jersey sitting on his wall, never to be worn - when before it was autographed, it could still be worn.

I'm not insulting big collectors. But why would someone who only has one or two jerseys suddenly ask a player to autograph it? An autographed jersey can no longer be worn, unless you never wash it. I can't see someone who buys a $300 jersey to be happy when suddenly "hey, there's my favorite player, now I can get him to autograph it!". Why would a regular fan do this?

Sure there are some people who would buy a brand new jersey to have autographed because they are INTENTIONALLY going to a public autograph signing. Other than that, I don't see why a regular fan would want the jersey they wear to be autographed, with the things I've mentioned above in mind.

So what's the real point of autographed jerseys for the general public?

Personally, I'd just like to have a real conversation with a hockey player that he'll remember. I wouldn't ask to get anything autographed, I don't think. Unless I had one of my McFarlane NHL figures handy with the display base.

I think to have a collection of autographed NHL jerseys you basically have to have a really fancy set up at home, where they can be well displayed. But not all people have that, nor can they afford it.

From what I can see on this forum, the people here don't care much about getting autographed jerseys, either. So perhaps I am right that it is more or less pointless.

You should look at Ted Nugent on you tube about autographs. He has the same guys follow him asking to autograph guitars and pictures. They in turn sell them on eBay. Ted simply asks then for a piece of the pie. He makes his intentions clear that they are out to make a fast buck, so he wants in in some of that action. To me it makes no sense to autograph a jersey. Now pucks on the other hand make sense.

For the general public, they probably just like the status of being able to say "I met this person." For me, I'm VERY selective about getting autographed jerseys, I have 5, of my all-time favorite players. I consider it a sacrifice, so to speak. I have a LeClair, two Sellanes, a Giroux and a Richards. I got them all in person. I'm going to get them framed and display them.

For LeClair, I wanted to have my all-time favorite player sign my all-time favorite jersey, and display it. Selanne was the same, except 2nd all time player and jersey haha (late 90's purple/teal alternate). I have the Wildwing sign because 1) I'll never wear it and 2) he asked to, otherwise I wouldn't have. But he literally asked to sign it. Richards was the only spur of the moment and the only one I regret, as it was my first really nice jersey when I was younger, but it's whatever now. Giroux I got to sign my 2012 WC because I'd never be able to wash it, and thus cannot wear it.

I'll probably get one or two more Girouxs, since I'll have two basically identical all star jerseys, and a few very similar Flyers.

I go the puck route for everyone else, and would rather have a puck than a jersey signed, since they display the auto beautifully, are easy to display, and just look nice as hell. Game pucks only, though.

In my opinion an autograph makes a jersey worth less. There are many jerseys I would've bought if they didn't have an autograph on them. I will NOT buy any jersey with a visible autograph. If you're going to get a jersey autographed either do it on a number that can be taken off and replaced or inside where it wont show.

I do however have one replica Wings jersey with no name or number that has been signed by many former Wings players.

When I go to an autograph session I get a puck and a card signed then display them together.

My autographed jerseys where there is an external (on number) auto:

Islanders:

Tavares 1.0 (now regret, but at the time, I didn't have anythign for him to sign. I also have a 2.0 JT that is signed on the fight strap)

Guerin premier

DiPietro premier

Yashin replica (won in an auction)

I have no issues with getting replicas signed. I regret the JT auto on the authentic, but it is what it is. I do like getting my gamers signed on the fight strap though and getting the player to take a picture while holding the jersey.

I don't live anywheres close to get an autograph and I'm not into buying autographed anything, even pucks. To me an autograph is something personal and I'd would only want to get in person. As for getting one on a jersey, the only place I probably would get it autographed is on the fight strap. I think on the numbers is not too bad because you can always remove them and put non-autographed on but when they are signed on the front it really doesn't look good imo.

I am an autographed picture kind of guy. Much easier to store. But I also have like 40-50 signed pucks.

These are from the 2011-12 (thickest, top), 2010-11 (middle), and 2009-2010 (bottom) seasons

2012-05-28_13-16-23_238.jpg

In my opinion an autograph makes a jersey worth less.

Not true at all... If the jersey is autographed properly which the signature is on the number and it's a clean nice looking signature then it adds value to the jersey. Now if the signature is on the jersey itself then yes that is stupid and it should be burned. Also if the signature has the proper COA and not from a mom and pop shop then that's an additional +.

What's the point?

What's the point in collecting jerseys at all? Why do people buy hundreds of jerseys?

Bottom Line....Enjoyment. I like getting my jerseys autographed. Are they worth less or more? It doesn't matter to me. It's just something to have and enjoy. I collect mostly International jerseys but I don't question why others collect College jerseys.

What do you guys do with your huge collections of jerseys?

Display them, wear them. I have them up on the wall in my sports/work out room. I occasionally re-arrange them, put the crests all out, or all the name/numbers. I've been getting more and more into hats lately and some days I'll wear 3 different hats, one each time I leave the house.

What's the point?

What's the point in collecting jerseys at all? Why do people buy hundreds of jerseys?

Bottom Line....Enjoyment. I like getting my jerseys autographed. Are they worth less or more? It doesn't matter to me. It's just something to have and enjoy. I collect mostly International jerseys but I don't question why others collect College jerseys.

Pretty much this.

It's kind of like the "When is it ok to wear your jerseys?" thread that you started earlier.

Do what you like. The whole point of collecting the jerseys is enjoyment. If you enjoy getting them signed, do so. If not, don't.

But the "point" isn't to impress anyone or anything. It's enjoyment factor. If you enjoy having your jerseys signed, that's the "point."

I think you're looking into this with far too much detail. Just because you believe that for one to get their jerseys signed you must have a "fancy set up at home", doesn't mean everyone else does. Frankly, I think that statement is ridiculous, thus I have no worries getting my jerseys signed if I so choose.

But as others have said, the end goal for all of this is enjoyment. And enjoyment varies from person to person.

I would say the same as a few of you-whether it is jerseys-game worn or authentics-doing it is out of pure enjoyment. For me, my collection of Hawks jerseys-close to 120 now, is because of my passion for being a Hawks fan.

I have gone to every Hawks convention and have stood in line to get things autographed-pucks, pics, Mcfarlanes, sticks and jerseys. To have the player sign your item-any item-in front of you and then hand it to you is just a cool feeling. I have also gone to signing and paid to have Hawks items signed.

To me it makes it more personal of an item. Do I put a value on my stuff, well, sort of, BUT, not to sell it...I will not sell any of my items. I hope one day, after I am gone, that my kids will enjoy them and I will have passed on my love for the Indian Head Sweater.

The Blackhawks have seven retired jersey #'s and I have each players jersey signed which I think is a great collection plus many other Hawks players jerseys signed.

So, its really how you look at it from your own personal stand...ENJOYMENT and Passion for my team are my main reasons...!!!!!

I have to agree with most here - I collect for my enjoyment. I love every step of the process - the hunt, the buy, getting it signed, displaying it, trading, and selling.

I started when I was 13, skipping school in Hamilton, hopping on the GO bus, hanging around Maple Leaf Gardens. I have stacks of autographed cards, 8x10s, and pucks but my jerseys are my favourite. I've saved and protected most of my jerseys and they are stored in a closet.

Now when I see a good deal, I buy a few of the same jersey, keep one, and sell the others. I don't make much, 99% of the time just enough to pay for the jersey I keep ;)

I have about 27 jerseys at this point, most authentic or vintage replica. Most stay in the closet, though some go to games. I would never wear an old authentic in the arena bowl but I have no problem doing so in a private box. They are great conversation pieces too for fans.

It seems everyone has their own preference. I focus on authentics and vintage replica, others wouldn't dare dream of getting authentic jerseys signed. Authentic jerseys are definitely pricer, and they can also be more difficult to sell or get rid of. But I wouldn't collect anything else!

In my opinion an autograph makes a jersey worth less.

Not true at all... If the jersey is autographed properly which the signature is on the number and it's a clean nice looking signature then it adds value to the jersey. Now if the signature is on the jersey itself then yes that is stupid and it should be burned. Also if the signature has the proper COA and not from a mom and pop shop then that's an additional +.

LOL - his opinion isn't true at all?

And why is that if the number is signed the jersey increases in value, but if the jersey itself is signed, it should be burned?

That doesn't make much sense...everyone has their own preference, no doubt, but if you value the signature for the actual reason why you should value any signature ('cause it's coming from the hero in question), what does placement have to do with it?

IN MY OPINION, an autograph makes a jersey worth less.

Of course the sigs without a COA/LOA suck 'cause there's no proof they're legit or not, right? ...but, I would argue that a lot of those sigs are probably worth more.

An athlete who signs something early on in his career (not yet lazy), or who is taking the time to sign something personally for someone (no LOA) is more likely to sign the item properly.

ex -

2383885960105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

vs

2991815630105778501S500x500Q85.jpg

Anytime you've got an LOA, chances are it's a mass signing (for whatever reason), and the sig's gonna suffer as a result.

Besides, how many times have you seen 'Limited 99 of 99' or '267 of 802', etc, etc....add 'em all up and you've got a million sigs out there anyways, and it ain't limited to sheit.

If you value a sig because you met the star and/or collect sigs as 'you thing', it's worth whatever value you put on it. But if you're after a sig to increase the value of anything, unless it's on the bottom of a cheque that's written out in your name, I wouldn't put much, if any value into it at all.

LOL - his opinion isn't true at all?

And why is that if the number is signed the jersey increases in value, but if the jersey itself is signed, it should be burned?

That doesn't make much sense...everyone has their own preference, no doubt, but if you value the signature for the actual reason why you should value any signature ('cause it's coming from the hero in question), what does placement have to do with it?

IN MY OPINION, an autograph makes a jersey worth less.

Because to a collectors that collect autographed memrobily a signature on the number looks much cleaner then On the shoulder, chest or just on the back in a random place. I've sold two jerseys that normally sell for $200-$300 without signatures for $400+ because of the signature being in the proper place. Slim it adds value to a certain point and to a certain crowed I know that everyone does not like them. Now having a signature on a gamer then that's a whole different story, IMO I think that would drop the value of a jersey. Now as far as me saying a jersey should be burned that has a signature in an improper place I was just joking bro... It can always be removed.

What do you guys do with your huge collections of jerseys?

I wear mine. I only have one jersey that doesn't go to games and that's my Westgarth vintage. Don't need some schmuck spilling crap on the nice bright gold.

As for autographs I'm not a huge fan but my wife loves signed jerseys. But only if they are signed in person.

This will make most people here cringe but I have a Johann Kroll South Carolina Stingrays gamer that is not just signed but personalized to my wife as well.

It's all about enjoyment my man. We're collecting used, dirty, sweaty clothes (or those of us who collect gamers are anyway). Not fine China or Faberge Eggs. If you think jersey collecting is an investment your gonna be very disappointed.

Have fun with the hobby.

JohannKrollSCStingraysBack.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

It's true to me, an autograph kills the value of a jersey. I WILL NOT buy a jersey with an autograph therefore the value to me is less than one without an autograph.

What is the best way to get an auto without pissing the player off?? Are they typically willing to do it pre game, mid game between periods or post game?

For me, I find asking a player during the game works best. I usually throw the jersey I want signed over the glass behind the player's bench and ask the player to sign above the crest.

For me, I find asking a player during the game works best. I usually throw the jersey I want signed over the glass behind the player's bench and ask the player to sign above the crest.

The players don't seem to mind this approach but the coach gets pretty p!ssed off. Lol

What is the best way to get an auto without pissing the player off?? Are they typically willing to do it pre game, mid game between periods or post game?

IMO the best places are hotels when players are on the road and charity events. Rarely a problem, in some cases you can even chat with the players. Tough to do that in the arena environment. If you're staying at the same hotel, it's even easier.

I just follow them home from the arena and wait until around 3 am before ringing their door bell.

I find they are usually very happy to sign the jersey just to get you off their porch. It may not be a nice clean signature since they just woke up and are fearing for their life but it certainly makes it memorable for both of us.

As an added bonus you can sometimes get a signed restraining order that looks beautiful under glass with a nice oak frame.