NHL game center

oars

I was wondering if anyone had this and if it is worth the money.

I noticed it's available on PS3 and I figured it would be nice (and easier) to watch the games on there for the occasions when CSN decides to bump the Blackhawks for the Bears.

And I could watch other teams without the hassle of finding a reliable link on the web. (I've streamed a few Habs games before, the picture quality was that of a bootleg movie filmed by shaking hands.)

But I think it's like $200 a year which in the long run wouldn't be bad, but it's not a top financial priority for me right now.

I haven't read much into it but I wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks in advanced!

This year I switched from using a cable provider center ice package ($32 per month + tax, 8 months) to using the streaming on from NHL.com ($20 a month taxes in). I have a home theatre PC hooked up to my TV to watch downloaded content as well streams and I found it was just as good, and in some cases better then the provider package. If you use a home theatre PC setup you can do picture in picture, or even quad game view (although with the quad game each stream lessens in quality). With my provider only some games where HD where as all games through the stream where HD. I could use my phone or tablet if I was on the road to watch games as well which was awesome. The only thing you'd have to watch out for is blackouts, because you live within the market you are trying to watch you may have some issues. I also like how you don't have to pay up front, it's month recurring!

I was thinking about making the switch from Directv to Gamecenter as well. Do you get home and away feeds for games or just one of them? I don't really like watching the other teams announcers when the Wings are playing if I don't have to.

If they are available you get both, I'd say about 70% or more of the games I watched both where available that I wanted to switch from the default. I love that as well because there are some announcers that I just can't stand

I've gotten it every year since 2003-04 and it is worth every single penny. Just getting both Hockey Night in Canada games alone is worth it. If you sign up early in the season, they usually give you a discounted rate too.

How often do the blackouts occur? I live about 2 hours away from Chicago, I hope it wouldn't be an ongoing problem.

But thanks for the replies! I'm glad to hear it is worth it. Definitely something I'm considering in the fall.

Well s***. That's kinda lame. I feel like between baseball, football, and hockey, Chicago needs another sports station. Schedule conflict doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it definitely sucks since the Hawks are always the ones gettin the boot. But it makes sense for game center to be for out of area games.

Correct. You won't get the broadcast of any team that you're in the market of. So, for me, I get 27 teams' broadcasts. All but the Rangers, Islanders and Devils.

My cable provider hasn't ever offered NHL Center Ice, so I've had to go with NHL Game Center the last few years. Seems to be getting better every year.

Mainly I watch on my laptop or tablet, but I'm thinking about getting a Roku which will allow me to watch NHL Game Center on my TV next season - anyone else done with with a Roku or through PS3 etc?

As for blackouts, any nationally televised games on Versus, NHL Network, or NBC are blacked out. I live just over an hour from Columbus, but their games normally aren't blacked out for me, but oddly Carolina Hurricanes games routinely are. I think it's because I'm in the Fox Sports South market or something.

Oh crap; is that what we're talking about? The online one? I had no idea. I thought we were discussing the one via the cable provider. D-oh. Carry on.

I didn't even realize we were talking about two different things haha. My family has Mediacom and they are so terrible in this area I wouldn't even consider getting any extra packages from them -NHL or not.

But I was referring to the online one.

If anyone has it for ps3 please let me know how it is!

My cable provider hasn't ever offered NHL Center Ice, so I've had to go with NHL Game Center the last few years. Seems to be getting better every year.

Mainly I watch on my laptop or tablet, but I'm thinking about getting a Roku which will allow me to watch NHL Game Center on my TV next season - anyone else done with with a Roku or through PS3 etc?

As for blackouts, any nationally televised games on Versus, NHL Network, or NBC are blacked out. I live just over an hour from Columbus, but their games normally aren't blacked out for me, but oddly Carolina Hurricanes games routinely are. I think it's because I'm in the Fox Sports South market or something.

I've done mine through BoxeeBox but found using the browser on the Boxee was better then the app, although by end of season it got better. Now I use it through a MacMini I use for a home theatre PC