Gamers. To wear or not to wear?

Cygnus X-1

This may be a dumb question. This may be a topic for another thread, but I'm feeling daring.

I am interested in getting a few game-worn jerseys. For those who have them, do you ever wear them? If you say yes, consider:

As I am not a large person (I wear a 46 in EDGE), they would never fit me well- would you wear an ill-fitting jersey with the rationale "Yeah I look ridiculous but this was worn by a human much larger than me while wearing hockey pads. It's still awesome"? Or would you just keep them to have?

I actually wore a few of my Rangers ones to the Garden this year. Most notably, a 94-95 Karpovtsev to the home opener and then a blue Jan Erixon later on in the year. I wouldn't wear anything supremely valuable oot and aboot though. But, keep in mind that these two are size 52 and 50 respectively so that's a little different.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding the size issue. I don't wear my gamers because they're ridiculously huge on me. But I would wear them if I could!

I say no because of the value. Then again if you paid top dollar for something you might as well make it worth it. You only live once. I stay away from game worns just because they look big on me too and I am 6'1 and 210 lbs. If it is some average to lesser talent player I would say go for it, but if its a jersey you would hate if it was damaged or lost then I wouldn't.

I wear mine, but carefully. Keep away from condiments!

I do not mind if they fit large. I do not think the look is that bad.

I wear most of my gamers to games. The jerseys I don't wear are ones with unrepaired holes that might catch something or white jerseys that are covered top to bottom with dark marks and wear.

I'll wear my gamers to games. In fact, I've worn a Bruins game jersey to Vancouver for game 7 (almost got killed for it too), but the acrid smell of unhappy and rioting Canadians washed right out. I don't wear them anywhere else though. Jerseys really aren't a look I can or want to pull off any day other than going to a game.

I stay away from game worns just because they look big on me too and I am 6'1 and 210 lbs.

You and Johnnyonthespot must like to wear your jerseys form fitting.

I am 6'2" 220lbs and there is no edge jersey that is too big...except the width of the sleeves on a goalie cut.

In the CCM/Koho era before the edges only a 58 is too big, and I would still and have worn them.

Prior to the mid 90's I have yet to find a gamer that is too big and in fact the opposite is true, they are usually too small.

I absolutely wear my gamers. So much so I only have a couple of authentics left for rainy nights and subway trips to the game.

I have a tough time putting myself to wear my regular retail authentics around, never mind gamers. I think it's much to do with my worry that I'd do something to mess up the jersey, so I tend to baby all of my jerseys.

It's personal preference. I'd say not to wear gamers around in the hopes of preserving their condition as best as possible to best replicate their on-ice condition and keep the revered "integrity of the hobby" intact. But on the same token, it's your jersey, you can do whatever you'd like with it. But as a rule of thumb, if you think you'd ever sell the jersey or trade it, don't wear it. It wouldn't really be fair to sell/trade a gamer that has been altered in some way from its original state (at least it would be unfair not to warn someone).

There was a big disagreement on the forum not too long ago about stripping and re-lettering jerseys. Some members on here thought it was insulting to strip a game-worn jersey and re-letter it at will, arguing that it takes away that piece of game-worn history - a valid point. Other members, on the other hand, argued that if someone owns a jersey, he has the right to do whatever he likes with the jersey - also a valid point. Personally, if I were to re-letter a once game-worn jersey, I would not try to represent it as a gamer. I would treat it as a standard authentic jersey and even mark somewhere that it is re-lettered/altered so not to trick anyone.

I have recently come around to wearing my gamers. They are designed to take abuse--they are hockey jerseys! However, I usually will wear a 2.0 MGG overstock. I still have not worn my Smolinski (nor do I think I will), but every other gamer is fair game.

I wear mine all the time to games. I actually don't buy too many because they are too big to wear these days. When a shrimp like Pierre-Marc Bouchard is wearing a 56, they have too many pads on.

I am 6'2" 220lbs and there is no edge jersey that is too big...except the width of the sleeves on a goalie cut.

In the CCM/Koho era before the edges only a 58 is too big, and I would still and have worn them.

Prior to the mid 90's I have yet to find a gamer that is too big and in fact the opposite is true, they are usually too small.

I absolutely wear my gamers. So much so I only have a couple of authentics left for rainy nights and subway trips to the game.

I wondered the same thing. I'm 5"11, 190, and I can wear an Edge up to a 56 and CCMs up to a 54 without it being too bad. Jerseys, in my opinion, are meant to be roomy. I see guys at games with these form fitting jerseys on and it just looks so silly to me. If I were playing in an Edge with shoulder pads on, I'd be a 54. I can still reasonably wear a 54 without the pads out and about and not feel like it is a tent. To each his own, but I'm scratching my head about how gamers are too big on a person who is 6'1, 220. 7 foot NBA players jerseys I can see, but NHL players are pretty reasonably sized people.

I wear all my jerseys too, normally on the weekends in the fall and winter when the weather is cold. But like someone else pointed out i just find it hard to incorporate hockey jerseys into my everyday wardrobe.

I wear my gamers to games all the time. I just keep away from messy foods and watch what I drink.

Worse thing that could happen is a spill and it would wash right out anyway.

My wife wears gamers too and she wears any size and isn't bothered by how big they are. She will wear a 52 or throw on a 58+ that hangs to her knees. She just rolls up the sleeves and she's good to go.

I wear my Gamers. However, if I'm going anywhere other than straight home after the game I won't wear one. I also won't eat with one on. Too many sneaky sauces out there.

I'm about 5.10 190 pounds and I can wear anything from a 52 - 58 Edge 2.0 and have it look perfectly normal. My preferred is a size 54.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm 5'5" 135lbs so a 46 is great- it doesn't hang to my knees but it doesn't look like a t-shirt. (Actually the template on the Rangers' road jersey as compared to the home is a smidge longer than I'd like)

...I really have nothing to add to this topic aside from the fact that since you're a Rush fan, I hate you less for being a Rangers fan. I listen to La Villa Strangiato on repeat to drown out my girlfriend's terrible shows while I'm trying to study for the BAR lol. Good man.

I wear all of my gamers to games and team events,etc. I don't think I'd collect them if I couldn't.

I can see where some might think you shouldn't, but I think as long as you're careful with what you're doing, it will be fine. They're made to go through a lot more than some sitting and walking. Use common sense as you would with any clothes and it'll be fine.

Not sure I understand any correlation to willfully destroying a jersey and making it into something else. Any change in the jersey from simply wearing it is negligible, IMO.

I like my jerseys form fitting. I had a size 58 and that thing was like a tent on me. I am use to baseball jerseys and football jerseys. There is a reason I only own two 6100 jerseys. If it weren't for the Ducks 07 team I don't think I could stand to wear a 6100. It's just too much material.

I wear all my jerseys, I don't collect them to sit in my wardrobe, its nice to wear them.

I wore a gamer to a rush concert...how do you like that!

I love it. But I hate rock band jerseys, i.e., a baseball or hockey jersey with the band name on the front and year the concert tour year on the back.

...I really have nothing to add to this topic aside from the fact that since you're a Rush fan, I hate you less for being a Rangers fan. I listen to La Villa Strangiato on repeat to drown out my girlfriend's terrible shows while I'm trying to study for the BAR lol. Good man.

I appreciate your reduced hate- good choice of song, too.