"Game Worn Jersey" Cards

DropkickMurphy8

I know we all hate those card companies that cut up gamers to use as inserts in trading cards, but maybe we should hate them for a completely different reason - They're a scam. I just read an article in the NY Daily News about some memorabilia dealer who pleaded guilty to mail fraud and told the FBI that he sold jerseys to Panini America (aka Donruss), Topps and Upper Deck and none of them were actually game worn........and on top of that, the companies were all in on it.

It's a great country when companies get knowingly defraud consumers and get away with it. Article here - http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1159317

Looks like we can't be pissed about gamers being shredded, but we should definitely be pissed about the scam that's going on with those things. And yes, I realize the article talks specifically about Derek Jeter jerseys, but I'm sure they're doing with every other player from every other sport too. Not just baseball.

I read an article in the Chicago Tribune (yesterday's paper) of a company in Las Vegas called JO Sports that was selling roughed up retail authentic jerseys as gamers.

I still have a lot to learn about retail authentics so I KNOW I have zero business trying to collect game worn stuff and I would never support the jersey cards by buying one.

I'm gonna stick to what I know the most about.

I used to collect hockey cards but gave it up around 5 years ago. The card companies have pretty much covered their butts by putting this on the back of their cards;

"This piece of memorabilia has been certified to us as being game worn"

Basically that says that we have no idea if this is game worn or not but the person we got the jersey from said it was. Same goes with autographed cards. The player can get anyone to sign the cards to him and I've read stories where players have actually admitted that their agents were the ones signing the cards for them.

No offense to anyone that collects that stuff but it's really funny to see the amounts of money people will pay for cards with little pieces of a "game worn" jersey when a lot of times you can buy the guys whole jersey for less.

Yeah, its weird stuff. I couldnt believe that article when I read it, yet I totally could.

And Hockey Bob, The easiest way to get started with game worn jerseys is only to buy ones you know are legit and come with the paperwork etc in the beginning. The value you can get sometimes is totally worh it. For instance, that mustard Preds jersey we were discussing, that only ended for $30 less than I payed for the exact same style David Legwand game worn. It wouldve cost more to buy the authentic and have it customized!

Nah,

I totally get that I can pick up game worn jerseys cheap and I get why guys collect them - I just like my retail 90-96 authentics and want to complete that vein of collecting and learn as much as I can before starting something new.

So far I have traded or sold 3 Gamers to guys on his board and am happy to say that each person I have dealt with was really fair and has offered me a lot of help down the road and answered a LOT of questions.

P.S. I still have the white Garrison and the Reasoner Alt game worn if you have anything you want to move :thumbsup:

Always thought these were a scam. Whats funny is from time to time I see cards on ebay that have a "game used" jersey patch and I know for a fact where the real game worn jersey is that that there was only one out there.

Here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-YORK-2012-PANINI-PRIME-ROOKIE-AUTO-JERSEY-PATCH-BLUE-JACKETS-36-50-/110950065569?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item19d523a5a1

For 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 Allen York only had 1 3rd jersey and I used to own it and know who owns it now.

Here is another example http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-12-Donruss-Elite-Hockey-New-Breed-RC-Jersey-Tomas-Kubalik-Blue-Jackets-/290771721123?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item43b3585ba3

Kubalik has only had one 3rd jersey and I know who owns it.

Always thought these were a scam. Whats funny is from time to time I see cards on ebay that have a "game used" jersey patch and I know for a fact where the real game worn jersey is that that there was only one out there.

Here is another example http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-12-Donruss-Elite-Hockey-New-Breed-RC-Jersey-Tomas-Kubalik-Blue-Jackets-/290771721123?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item43b3585ba3

Kubalik has only had one 3rd jersey and I know who owns it.

I seem to remember seeing a few cards where the player pictured on the card is wearing a certain jersey, and the swatch seems to be of a completely different color, such that there is no way the swatch could have come from the jersey in the picture. I've seen this in Kings cards where the pictured jersey is a purple vintage, but the swatch is black and white. In the Kubalik, for example, is it possible that the dark blue swatch may have come from a CBJ home jersey, even though the 3rd is pictured?

Could be on the Kubalik it looks to me like the right color for the 3rd but don't know for sure, but the York for sure is a 3rd jersey. Also I have seen a number of examples of this on other cards for other Blue Jackets players.

I hate to say it, but I don't entirely hate these cards. Assuming they were actually legit. Sure, it's kind of hard to imagine an elite player's jersey being sectioned off, cut up into hundreds of squares and inserted into a hockey card, but I know I would have adored these things as a kid. I loved collecting cards and I know this would have made it that much cooler. I also think they would have gotten me into the hobby a lot sooner. It may not be viewed as "right" to a collector, but at least they're not actually going to waste. My assumption is that all that could be salvaged from the jersey would go to use.

Loving jerseys, it's a subject where I kind of lie in the middle, but if there are thousands of kids taking pride in owning these cards like I did when I was a kid, I can't entirely say it's a bad thing.

It's not like it even matters since it looks to be all scam in the end. :P

I personally find some of these cards to be pretty ###### cool. In addition to that, this article isn't saying that EVERY game used card is fake, but that some (unfortunately) are.

I just think they're cool, but I can understand the hate for them from collectors.

I used to collect hockey cards but gave it up around 5 years ago. The card companies have pretty much covered their butts by putting this on the back of their cards;

"This piece of memorabilia has been certified to us as being game worn"

Basically that says that we have no idea if this is game worn or not but the person we got the jersey from said it was. Same goes with autographed cards. The player can get anyone to sign the cards to him and I've read stories where players have actually admitted that their agents were the ones signing the cards for them.

No offense to anyone that collects that stuff but it's really funny to see the amounts of money people will pay for cards with little pieces of a "game worn" jersey when a lot of times you can buy the guys whole jersey for less.

Thank you all for feeling the same way I do. This thread has made me feel so much closer to you all. :wub:

Those cards are anything but cool and are a travesty to this hobby. Utterly disgusting in my opinion how could anyone buy something knowing it was destroyed for your own enjoyment?

I have said it many time these jerseys all carry a story, a history for the player, team and league. To destroy it is to ###### on that.

Thats not what collecting is about for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I was not aware of this.

I was looking at a Jagr one today that just sold for like $149. It was autographed as well, but still. Ouch!

I'll pass from all of those types of cards after reading this

For me I liked the jersey cards. I went to Red Wings training camp for 5 years in a row and got pretty decent access to the players. I got these autographed instead of my jerseys (since I like to wear my jerseys). When they are autographed they make a good display piece

• 3 weeks later...

So either players are using Indo Edge jerseys or this is more example of non game worn jerseys being sold to Panini as game worn:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-Panini-Prime-Seams-Incredible-Andy-Miele-1-10-/380470623327?pt=US_Hockey_Trading_Cards&hash=item5895d0fc5f

I saw this Muller with a pic from '92-93 (ultrafil jersey) that appears to be Air-Knit material on the card.

Speaking of Habs gamers, if this is actually a piece of his SCF jersey, some heads need to start rolling.

Stupid freakin cards!

The Muller one looks more like Starter air-knit too, not CCM. What BS.

So either players are using Indo Edge jerseys or this is more example of non game worn jerseys being sold to Panini as game worn:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5895d0fc5f

If you read the back of those cards it will say that the piece comes from a "Photo-shoot" jersey not a Game Worn jersey. Basically the companies make up a bunch of jerseys for photo-shoots, have the players throw them on, snap some pics and then cut them up for cards. How to you think the companies have cards of the rookies made up so fast and how do they get their jerseys so fast? Easy, there photo-shot jerseys.

If you read the back of those cards it will say that the piece comes from a "Photo-shoot" jersey not a Game Worn jersey. Basically the companies make up a bunch of jerseys for photo-shoots, have the players throw them on, snap some pics and then cut them up for cards. How to you think the companies have cards of the rookies made up so fast and how do they get their jerseys so fast? Easy, there photo-shot jerseys.

Interesting, it was hard to find a listing showing the back of the card but you are right it says "event worn". But that being the case there are some nasty ones that have the green seam that would be almost too dirty for just a photoshoot

Another thing to note on the game worn jersey cards is that the action photo of the player on the card does necessarily match the jersey on the card itself.

So in the case of the Carbonneau, just because there is a pic of him with his SCF jersey, does not mean the jersey on the card is that SCF jersey, so no heads have to roll..........yet.....

Do we have any idea whether some of the game worn jersey cards are actual game worns and not just event jerseys? I ask because I have suspicions about some cards I've seen recently with the Sabres Premiere patches on them, from the opener in Europe last year... and if they're real, its a little disturbing to think about where they got the jerseys.

I asked the guy in charge if the Sabres jersey auctions, back when the white Premiere set went up for auction, whether the blue set would be available. He told me that the league had requested and taken possession of the blue set, for what purpose he didn't know but he had sent them to the league himself. I watched to see if they would ever come up for sale via the NHL and nothing ever surfaced, now I see these "game worn" cards featuring the pieces of the patch on navy jerseys. It seems like a weird coincidence to me that they'd be faked (for lack of a better word) and all be the navy jerseys that no one yet owns... but if they're real, that means somehow the league is involved in giving/selling these companies perfectly good and sought after jerseys to cut up. Not that I would out it past them, of course.

Do we have any idea whether some of the game worn jersey cards are actual game worns and not just event jerseys? I ask because I have suspicions about some cards I've seen recently with the Sabres Premiere patches on them, from the opener in Europe last year... and if they're real, its a little disturbing to think about where they got the jerseys.

I asked the guy in charge if the Sabres jersey auctions, back when the white Premiere set went up for auction, whether the blue set would be available. He told me that the league had requested and taken possession of the blue set, for what purpose he didn't know but he had sent them to the league himself. I watched to see if they would ever come up for sale via the NHL and nothing ever surfaced, now I see these "game worn" cards featuring the pieces of the patch on navy jerseys. It seems like a weird coincidence to me that they'd be faked (for lack of a better word) and all be the navy jerseys that no one yet owns... but if they're real, that means somehow the league is involved in giving/selling these companies perfectly good and sought after jerseys to cut up. Not that I would out it past them, of course.

One of the new trends is having part of the team tag as the 'jersey" piece so they are defeintely game worn. I've seen some with full MeiGray tags. I don't mind if it's "event worn" like the Pittsburgh jersey above so it's not to take away from jersey collectors