Ryan Smyth to Islanders!

Mach_9

The Oilers signed Smyth and than traded him to the Islanders for Robet Nilsson, Ryan Omara and a 1st. Underpayment - in my opinion his market value could have been higher.

The Oilers signed Smyth and than traded him to the Islanders for Robet Nilsson, Ryan Omara and a 1st. Underpayment - in my opinion his market value could have been higher.

Kevin Lowe just screwed himself- wonder what the fan reaction will be at Messier night tonight? The Islanders aren't winning the Cup with or without Smyth this year but they certainly will get into the playoffs with him. I think a team like Toronto is thinking they are screwed right now.

Wow...it's gonna be really hard to have to hate Ryan Smyth now. That's a big help for the Isles.

Yeah... I kinda dig this trade. You know, Isles did 2 deals with Philly in a short time period (York for Robitaille, Zhitnik for Meyer) and then two deals with Edmonton in a short period (Grebeshkov for Bergeron + 3rd and Nilsson, O'Marra + 1st for Smyth). I was always amused by teams making two seperate trades only a couple of days apart as I always imagine Edmonton could have charged more if they sent Bergeron and Smyth together and made a great net gain. Either way... I like what the Isles have been doing. They added Zednik, Bergeron and Smyth for the playoffs. Not bad.

Yeah... I kinda dig this trade. You know, Isles did 2 deals with Philly in a short time period (York for Robitaille, Zhitnik for Meyer) and then two deals with Edmonton in a short period (Grebeshkov for Bergeron + 3rd and Nilsson, O'Marra + 1st for Smyth). I was always amused by teams making two seperate trades only a couple of days apart as I always imagine Edmonton could have charged more if they sent Bergeron and Smyth together and made a great net gain. Either way... I like what the Isles have been doing. They added Zednik, Bergeron and Smyth for the playoffs. Not bad.

I don't know what's in the water there in Long Island but somehow Garth pulled off the big trade without giving up hardly any assets. I don't think this is enough for them to be a player for the ECF but it probably assures them a playoff spot. I wonder if Garth can sign him to a long term deal.

This is so sad. My friend who is a huge Oiler fan is in mourning. My brother was in shock. I was in Shock. I can't believe that Kevin Lowe would do this. So many people hate him right now it's not even funny. Then today I saw the bit where he's at the airport and the media are all asking him questions and then he's just like crying, he looks like a total wreck. And when he said that he wanted to win the cup so he could bring it back to edmonton because that's where his heart is, almost brought a tear to my eye.

This is so sad. My friend who is a huge Oiler fan is in mourning. My brother was in shock. I was in Shock. I can't believe that Kevin Lowe would do this. So many people hate him right now it's not even funny. Then today I saw the bit where he's at the airport and the media are all asking him questions and then he's just like crying, he looks like a total wreck. And when he said that he wanted to win the cup so he could bring it back to edmonton because that's where his heart is, almost brought a tear to my eye.

I saw the press conference on TV, that was brutal. I've never been to Edmonton, but that last line was...wow...

I won 4 tickets to Smyth's first game as an Islander (tomorrow - Thursday) a couple of days back (before he was traded, obviously), but I probably won't be going given the recent medical mishap. $120 face value on each too, with free VIP parking. Hopefully one of my friends can make use of them on short notice. I hate tonsils.

Wow...it's gonna be really hard to have to hate Ryan Smyth now. That's a big help for the Isles.

On tsn.ca, I read... "After 770 games with Edmonton, Smyth's ticket out of town was punched when the sides couldn't bridge what sources say was a US$300,000 a season financial gap on a five-year deal. It's believed the Oilers offered $5.4 million a season while Meehan was asking for $5.7 million.". Both sides couldn't find a middle ground? For real? $5.5M a season would have been a solution, IMO, both sides and 17500 fans a night could walk away happy, although Meehan has always been a pill to negotiate with. Trading Smyth to the Islanders, of all teams, was a shock, but I can finally like him now. And then, the team that Gretzky's coaches goes up there and shuts them out on Mark Messier night. So many emotions that day, especially if you're an Oiler fan!