Help with Rangers Liberty Jersey - Starter or CCM?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to collecting hockey jerseys. I'm looking into getting the Rangers' Liberty jersey and have a couple of questions. I'm considering three of those jerseys at the moment online. Two are Starter and one is CCM. From I have read so far on this forum, Starter seemed to have taken over as the Rangers' supplier for the 96-97 which leads me to think that the Starter ones are earlier than the CCM one. Should I generally go with a Starter or CCM jersey? One of the Starter jerseys is slightly more expensive as it is new with tags and also is a size above my current size. I currently have a Rangers Edge 1.0 Authentic which is a bit bigger than my current size and I like it being a little big and loose but I think it may look a little too big for me if I wore it out. How are the Starter jerseys sized in terms of size are small, big or just right?

Thanks.

There were never ccm branded authentics only replicas. Pre edge jerseys are bigger in cuts overall.

The on-ice Liberty jerseys were first made by Starter (blue ones from 1996-98, white ones in 98-99), then followed by ProPlayer (1999-2000), Koho (2000-04), and Reebok (2005-07). I'm not sure if you're looking for just authentics, replicas or both. If you're looking into authentics, one thing that made the Starters different than the others is that they were made of a nylon mesh, which was rather shiny, soft and quite comfortable to wear. Those made by the other companies were made of a more conventional polyester knit.

Regarding sizes, it may help us to help you if you specify your height, weight and also the size of your Edge jersey.

The on-ice Liberty jerseys were first made by Starter (blue ones from 1996-98, white ones in 98-99), then followed by ProPlayer (1999-2000), Koho (2000-04), and Reebok (2005-07). I'm not sure if you're looking for just authentics, replicas or both. If you're looking into authentics, one thing that made the Starters different than the others is that they were made of a nylon mesh, which was rather shiny, soft and quite comfortable to wear. Those made by the other companies were made of a more conventional polyester knit.

Regarding sizes, it may help us to help you if you specify your height, weight and also the size of your Edge jersey.

Thanks. I'm just looking at replicas at the moment, I think. I wouldn't be opposed to authentics but I currently have a Rangers Reebok Edge 1.0 authentic and I find it a bit heavy at times to wear, possibly because I was advised to buy a bigger size from the store I got it from. I have a Reebok Premier of the 85th Anniversary jersey and I like that it is a little lighter. Having said that, if I could get an authentic at a reasonable price, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I imagine, though, that it would be quite pricey for a coveted jersey like the Rangers' Liberty one.

I am usually XL for most of my clothes. However, I was told by another store (are we allowed to name them on here?) that I got my Rangers authentic from to order a bigger size as they are meant to be worn big. One of the Starter jerseys, the new one, is XXL. I take it all authentics are numbered like my current Rangers authentic? I have been told that hockey jerseys are supposed to be worn big, is that true? What sort of size should I order in comparison to other clothes? I was told to order the Rangers authentic big and, OR68, you said that pre-Edge jersey were bigger in cut. That would make me hesitant to order a bigger size. Would you still apply the 'hockey jerseys are supposed to be worn big' advice to replicas or should I try to get one that is the same size as the rest of my clothes? I personally like the way my 85th Anniversary jersey replica fits me. I suppose its all a matter of personal preferrence but what's you general advice?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot about the size of my Edge authentic. It is a 60. It seems a bit rediculously big on me now. My XL replica of the 85th Anniversary jersey fits me just fine. How do current replicas compare in size to those of Starter, CCM, Koho etc.?

Thanks for your help guys.

In my experience, Reebok Premier replicas are sized pretty similarly to other brands' replicas, so if you're comfortable with an XL Premier, an XL Starter would probably fit you as well. I'm not saying the XXL wouldn't fit, it just depends on how loose you like to wear your jerseys. Ask the seller for measurements.

Regarding what OR68 said about the size differences between Edge and pre-Edge cuts, the same number size in both won't fit the same. For example, someone who wears a 58 Edge might actually fit in, say, a 52 Starter Liberty.

Btw, a Starter Liberty replica is made of a polyester knit, not the nylon mesh of the authentics. Also, the colors are slightly duller than those of the CCM/Koho replicas.

In my experience, Reebok Premier replicas are sized pretty similarly to other brands' replicas, so if you're comfortable with an XL Premier, an XL Starter would probably fit you as well. I'm not saying the XXL wouldn't fit, it just depends on how loose you like to wear your jerseys. Ask the seller for measurements.

Regarding what OR68 said about the size differences between Edge and pre-Edge cuts, the same number size in both won't fit the same. For example, someone who wears a 58 Edge might actually fit in, say, a 52 Starter Liberty.

Btw, a Starter Liberty replica is made of a polyester knit, not the nylon mesh of the authentics. Also, the colors are slightly duller than those of the CCM/Koho replicas.

Thanks for your help. I may end up going for the CCM one but I have just asked the seller of the new Starter one for measurements.

Thanks for your help guys.

I was looking at Rangers jerseys online last night and found an XL 1994 home white CCM replica jersey at a pretty good price. However, I am concerned about the measurements the seller has on his listing and then reiterated in reply to an email I sent him. The measurements are about the same as those of an S in other jerseys. He seems to imply this is the case because this jersey he is selling was not meant to be worn with pads underneath. Because of that explanation, i thought that the jersey might have been designed to be worn like a regular sweater as opposed to other hockey jerseys, which I've been told, are supposed to be worn loose. Does anyone know if the measurements the seller has given me, 24.5" pit to pit and 28.5" long could be correct? He says this is supposed to be worn big but there is a huge diffrence there between those measurements and the official ones for the current Reebok Premier. I find it hard to believe that there could be such a difference in measurements unless the jersey has shrunk when being washed or he has simply miscalculated the measurements.

Again, thanks for your help.

I was looking at Rangers jerseys online last night and found an XL 1994 home white CCM replica jersey at a pretty good price. However, I am concerned about the measurements the seller has on his listing and then reiterated in reply to an email I sent him. The measurements are about the same as those of an S in other jerseys. He seems to imply this is the case because this jersey he is selling was not meant to be worn with pads underneath. Because of that explanation, i thought that the jersey might have been designed to be worn like a regular sweater as opposed to other hockey jerseys, which I've been told, are supposed to be worn loose.

Something is wrong here. There's no way an XL should have the same measurements as a small unless it was just mistagged. A replica jersey is a replica jersey. It's not like some were designed to be used over equipment and others not. Any XL replica should be approximately the same size as another XL, especially if it's the same brand.

Something is wrong here. There's no way an XL should have the same measurements as a small unless it was just mistagged. A replica jersey is a replica jersey. It's not like some were designed to be used over equipment and others not. Any XL replica should be approximately the same size as another XL, especially if it's the same brand.

Thanks for your advice. I sent the guy an email asking about this again while I was editing the post. I finished editing after you had replied, so feel free to reply again if you think anything I've added since you first replied is relevant or helps you help me any further. I take it from your reply that I should avoid that jersey at all costs though, right? The only thing I can think of is that the jersey has either shrunk in the wash or he has miscalculated the measurements. The tag on the lisitng, while aged, does appear to say XL. There seems to be an X. The L isn't that clear but there's never been an XS size, right? Could this be an XL youth size or something?

24 1/2" wide sounds more like a typical adult large. 28 1/2" long sounds kinda short, though.

24 1/2" wide sounds more like a typical adult large. 28 1/2" long sounds kinda short, though.

Thanks for your advice. I eventually got a Starter Home White on Wednesday night.

You're very welcome. Hope it works out well for you.

The Starters are cool because they have double elbows and stitched logos even on their replicas.