Isles moving to Brooklyn?

Per Sam Carchidi, "Isles will hold press conference at 2. Rumor has them moving to Brooklyn. Guess they haven't heard that most of NHL is playing in Russia."

Per @ChrisBottaNHL:

Mayor Bloomberg's presence at today's press conference would seem to indicates #Isles want to get to Brooklyn as quickly as they can.
Source tells @SBJSBD about today's press conference - "#Isles set to play in Brooklyn in 2015."

Do not know what the long-term viability of this move is. The small capacity of the new arena was an issue when they were building it and led many to question its design, as it would proclude an NHL team from going there. When they were going to have a preseason game at the arena they said there would be no seats behind one of the goals. I cannot beleive they approved such a stupid design that does not easily change for both sports.

Have no idea, but assume they do not want to build a hockey specific facility there so should be interesting.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/8545550/new-york-islanders-following-nets-brooklyn-source-says

Based on what I saw online, the capacity in Brooklyn for hockey is 500 less than the smallest arena in the NHL, which is the Jets. That being said, the Islanders haven't averaged enough people to fill that amount of space since the 2002-2003 season.

Yup, been discussing this on Facebook all morning. Nobody believes me. Looking more and more like it's gonna happen.

Maybe they will make those black third uniforms into the everyday home darks, since everything in that building is black. Fingers crossed!

Jay Z has 99 problems...but the Isles are all of em

tumblr_m7pmnzMiPz1r1g6spo1_1280.png

:lol:

Doubt this ever happens, they are probably just trying to leverage this to get their new deal.

The Brooklyn deal is so undergroud so you've probably heard of it.

Great move by the ISLES they were playing in the oldest building in the NHL. Charles Wang unsuccessfully proposed 2 arena projects and was turned down by nassau so in my opinion this move was a must. I like they stay the islanders and move not very far. All around great move congrats to all the ISLES FANS

im not sure congrats are in order as most of us are pretty miserable over this. the move isnt as simple as hopping on a train instead of driving for long islanders. taking the LIRR is a giant PITA (not to mention costly) and driving on the belt parkway in rush hour traffic is next to impossible.

i probably live as close to brooklyn as a nassau country resident can (NYIJM29 too) as im right on the nassau/queens border and i will undoubtedly have to give up my season tix. i also cant see going to more than a handfull of games from 2015 on. it's just too much of a hassle, and for people with kids, it's going to be impossible

i guess there will always be a handfull of diehards who will foot the bill for the train from the island and the displaced islanders fans who now live in BK, but without the support of city residents, i see this as a lateral move at best. as mike francesa pointed put earlier, most hockey fans west of like whitestone/bayside are rangers fans. once the novelty wears off, i honestly dont see people going on a regular basis. i guess, theoretically, they will have the increase in luxury box dollars supporting them (which is almost non-existent in uniondale), but it's still going to take brooklynites to buy those seats. i would love to be proven wrong, but i dont see it.

in theory, i guess it's good that the team is staying somewhat local and didnt bolt to quebec or KC, but yeah, the vast majority of islanders fans dont like this.

Ferro sums up my sentiments.

I found out about this literally an hour before my stats midterm. I was furious lol. I have since cooled off and am glad they are going to be near here for another 28 years (3 years Nassau, 25 Brooklyn), but I will be lucky if I can even get to 10 games a year in Brooklyn. It isn't worth the trip and Im probably going to be studying for my CPA exam and then I will not have any time after getting a job (which I hope to have before the CPA exam) to go to games in Brooklyn (matching train schedules, traffic if I drive in, etc)

The Belt isn't the issue, since the Belt doesn't go to Barclays anyway. I think it's the BQE that goes down to 4th and Atlantic, not sure as I've never driven there, but the Belt isn't an issue for you guys at all.

well i understand the frustration of having your team move out of your backyard to somewhere a little out of the way but the situation was looking very bleak before this announcements. With places like quebec, hamilton , seattle , k.c and others vying for a NHL franchise the drive to those cities would have been worse. I like the fact the Islanders will stay in the vicinity of Long Island. I would have hated to see them move out of state!!

I think long term its a gamble but for the next 10 years its a win win for everyone because you guys still have a team. I for one will miss the old nassau coliseum , its a dump but it was a cool place , i would rank it as my #3 favourite place i watched a game at after the original forum and the old "MALL" in Hartford boy was that a wacky place!

Ferro sums up my sentiments.

I found out about this literally an hour before my stats midterm. I was furious lol. I have since cooled off and am glad they are going to be near here for another 28 years (3 years Nassau, 25 Brooklyn), but I will be lucky if I can even get to 10 games a year in Brooklyn. It isn't worth the trip and Im probably going to be studying for my CPA exam and then I will not have any time after getting a job (which I hope to have before the CPA exam) to go to games in Brooklyn (matching train schedules, traffic if I drive in, etc)

Welcome to the real world jeremy!!!

All kidding aside there is zero parking there and impossible to drive there so mass transit is the only way to go. As an east end Long Islander it is no longer a 45 min drive to the game its a 25 minute drive to the train a 50 minute to Jamaica a transfer and another 20 to the Barclays. I can only go to weekend games because of this. Wang didn't want to build anything out of his own pocket as is content to be a tenant and not get all the cash. either way it sucks

My issue is leaving the Coliseum. It is a disappointment politics got in the way of this. There was so much history there. The Barclays isn't even designed for hockey.

I seriously hope they redevelop the area with minor league baseball and hockey

If they didn't leave the NVMC for Brooklyn, they'd have to knock it down and build a new one, and there's no history in a new building. There's no history in the New Yankee Stadium, as it relates to the old one, so there would be no history in a new NVMC as it relates to the old one either.