Jersey #s - websites to find what players wore

Is there a website where I could find out what players wore which numbers on a team?

Example: If I had any teams jersey, and it had a correct-font number on it, and I didn't want to strip it, but had no name on it, where could I look to find out which player I could put on it to finish it?

(I had no idea where to put this topic, but this seemed like the best place. Mods: please move if necessary. Thanks)

Hockeydb.com and Hockey-reference.com are good for this. Also, each team has an official website linked to nhl.com. I haven't checked all the team sites, but there's usually a player stats section where you can click on any season and see all the players, numbers and stats for that season.

I WUV U GUYS!!

Basically looking to punch in a number, and the team, and seeing which players wore that number during which seasons.

Thanks again!

Also, each team has an official website linked to nhl.com. I haven't checked all the team sites, but there's usually a player stats section where you can click on any season and see all the players, numbers and stats for that season.

Stick with Hockey-Reference (and double-check with pictures references), the NHL.com team sites aren't always that accurate. I was looking at Tony Esposito's stats on the Habs pages and it says he was number 30 for them but he was actually number 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the team websites can be misleading if a player wore more than one number. I know when I've been researching there were more than a few times when the team site only listed the player's most well-known number, even for seasons when they didn't wear that number.

If it's not too far back, try to get official boxscores from games he played in if you can't find pictures.