whos good at cleaning up stripped jerseys?

anybody on here really good at cleaning up stripped jerseys or even know of a shop that can help me out? i sent two rangers jerseys to EPS to have them stripped and when they returned the white one has red and blue staining from the outline of all the lettering and the blue one has a significant amount of glue residue. they said it was the best they could do. I have tried goof off, ironing, and goo gone. The white jersey showed absolutely no improvement and the blue one got a little better but not much. Anybody good with acetone? id be willing to pay you to help me out here.

I've tried acetone on the glue from numbers, and it doesn't seem to do much. But that was the concentration found in nail polish remover. It might work if you get a higher concentration of acetone, but I would imagine the stronger you get with solvents, the higher the chance of either dissolving the dye or the jersey's material.

Slim should have some to say with a stronger concentration of acetone.

I recommend acetone, time and a whole lot of determination, but realize you may just need to cover it best you can, perhaps a bigger name and a number that covers more real estate.

This is in regards to removing glue. I have worked on a jersey for as long as 4 months.

thanks for the replies guys, do you think acetone could discolor the blue at all? I'll post some pictures tomorrow, no computer at the house.

I have a white Rangers that I removed a #81, it left the same pinkish shadow - I soaked it in everything including straight acetone but the pink shadow never budged. Didn't effect the fabric at all, and I killed it with chemicals.

If you find a miracle solution please let me know.

Good luck.

The glue should eventually wear off the blue jersey but as already said you are better off taking your time and the color should be fine.

It's one of the problems with stripping old white jerseys that some letters will bleed especially red. I had that same problem and nothing short of kerosene and a match was going to compeltely take it out. Since you have a Rags jersey, I'd recommend that whether there is color bleeding or not.

I'm sure Guam approves of your decision to strip that Rangers! :)

I recently stripped a white red wings which had greg johnson #23 on it. It was a nasty strip, leaving plenty of glue and pink dye. Regular detergent and goo-gone did nothing. I was able to get most glue residue off just by scratching it by hand. Ironing got some off because it melts the glue and sticks to the applied fabric, but once the glue overheats, it will harden and wont come off mechanically. Bleach didn't discolour the pink. Since I work at a drug research lab, I brought the jersey to work and doused acetone on it, and the pink was dissolved. However, the colour smeared all over the white jersey as the acetone ran off, so I had to clean it up with more acetone and tissue.

I've used lab grade acetone on a blue ultrafil leafs to remove white number residues. The blue dye dissolved and bled onto the white stripes of the jersey, so be careful. I personally wouldn't use acetone on coloured jerseys after that encounter.

thanks for all the replies so far guys. justanotavictim, i dont even know where to begin with that jersey haha. amazing job cleaning it up. mine isnt even that bad so perhaps there is hope for mine after all. I think im going to head out for some acetone this afternoon and see what i can do. these are the jerseys in question, im a little torn on whether or not to try the acetone on the blue one though after reading kaisers story on the blue dye bleeding....

getattachmentaspxy.jpg

getattachment2aspxv.jpg

getattachment1aspxw.jpg

ISince I work at a drug research lab, I brought the jersey to work and doused acetone on it, and the pink was dissolved. However, the colour smeared all over the white jersey as the acetone ran off, so I had to clean it up with more acetone and tissue.

I've used lab grade acetone on a blue ultrafil leafs to remove white number residues. The blue dye dissolved and bled onto the white stripes of the jersey, so be careful. I personally wouldn't use acetone on coloured jerseys after that encounter.

I've used acetone on Air-Knit, Mesh, and Ultrafil, and I've never encoutered anything like that. Dirt, stains, colored glue residue, etc, will run and bleed with the acetone, and often will leave a ring around the edges of the area I'ved cleaned, but a 2nd and 3 round with acetone (after it's dried), followed by a thorough cleaning again, takes care of whatever ran. Unless you were using something different or had an odd-ball jersey with some out-of-the-ordinary type dye in it...or other?? I don't know...but again I've cleaned tons of jerseys, and I've never had it affect the color of the jersey itself.

edit - Maybe it's because you "doused" it? I don't ever pour it on the jersey, and rarely soak an area unless it's to remove something thick (eg - cosby logo). I always just pour a relatively small amount in a bowl, and dip a soft toothbrush in the acetone and start working on a small area of the jersey, working my way out as I go. I try and clean/rinse the area before it dries. If it dries before you clean/rinse, it'll leave a ring around the area you cleaned, but if you clean it when it's still wet, most of the ring will come clean with the soap/water. It's tedious to do small areas at a time, just to have to wait for it to dry to start another area or continue, but it's much more efficient in the end.

slim, I read your "how to" and was confident on using acetone on the blue ultrafil. The jersey was relatively new and I've only hand washed it once or twice before trying acetone on it, so maybe the colours were still coming off like first time washing a brand new sweater. I was probably overkilling it with too much acetone rather than using a toothbrush, but I was surprised to see the colour bleed.

I soaked all the areas on my white Rangers and did like 5 rounds on the sleeves. The best result can bee seen on that pic I posted. I'm afraid that ex-Matteau won't be any better. The blue one is easy to clean.

EDIT: And why the hell is there a blue shadow on the jersey anyway? The blue layer never touched the jersey.

Is there any particular reason you wouldn't just make it a Matteau jersey? I can understand wanting to change the Gretzky, but you could always sell a Matteau jersey and get your money back or more.

well, the reason I stripped it in the first place is not because I wouldnt like another matteau, it's because the font was entirely too big. I'm kinda picky when it comes to ranger lettering. I guess when you have so many it's easy to notice when something is off. I have another matteau anyway. it's not really about the money either, sure I could have just sold it but those old ccm's are getting a little harder to come by lately. as for why the blue bled through your guess is as good as mine, I was just as surprised when I stripped it.

I've seen the top layer bleed through before. It all depends on how hard the twill was heat-pressed on. Some places put eighty-five tons of pressure on it so there's no chance on hell of it coming off. THAT is what causes the bad bleeding. The harder the application, the higher the odds are that it just won't come clean.

well, the acetone worked absolute wonders on the blue ex-gretzky, the glue residue is gone and this thing looks brand new. While I had out the acetone I figured id work on my eggplant Kariya as well. The former owner had shoulder patches and a captains "C" stitched on but it was a CCM and so I had to remove all that. The acetone got the remaining glue residue off of that as well. As for the white rangers former Matteau...no luck. I soaked that thing with acetone and it didn't even lighten the staining at all. Any ideas anyone?

So I've seen people say to be careful with acetone... How careful? Is there a certain concentration that is best to use? I have a couple jerseys I'd like to clear up.

dsl...i can say this, i was being super careful at first and lost patience a little bit and started to just pour it on and scrub with the toothbrush. No colors ran, no damage to the jersey at all and all the glue residue was gone. like i said though...it had absolutely no effect at all on the staining on the white jersey.

I thought the font looked a little off, but I would have never noticed if I saw it for sale and just wanted it.

And the numbers look a tad too far apart

yes, you are correct cygnus. did you see my response to your post in the wish list section? worth a look.