Brian Burke fired as GM of Leafs

pastadutchie

No news stories online but TSN radio is reporting Burkie is done as GM. Don't know if he will stay on as President, but they are reporting he is no longer the GM of the Leafs

Reporters on Twitter are saying the Leafs scheduled a presser at 1:45 for a "major announcement". That pretty much sums it up.

Yeah done all together. It is strange! Why now? Something must have happened.

Looking forward to this press conference.

I respect Burke, but he did not live up to his hype during his time in Toronto.

If you're the NHL, he is a good guy to have in your corner during the CBA negotiations. I'm sure that's why they kept him on until after they were done. Kind of a jerk move to let him go now though, just let him stay on until after the season and then can him.

I'm happy. He failed miserably. This one is hard though because he was the one who was supposed to make us relavent again and it didnt happen. All we have to look forward to is more losing and another 5 year plan.

i am also a fan of this. I personally couldn't stand Burke during interviews. Always found him arrogant and hypocritical.

A lot of people are saying it was because he was against acquiring Luongo (one source is reporting the Canucks want Gardiner LOL).

This team is definitely in for a new start. Keep Kessel, Rielly, Grabo, Lupul, JVR and Gardiner. Other than that, its time for change. Hell, I would even be down for Phaneuf to be moved.

I would ok with losing everyone except Gardner and Reily.

It's really gonna sting when Kessel leaves after his contract is up after next year and Seguin is tearing up the league in a B's sweater for the next 15 years.

I was only slightly surprised, I figured he had one season of good faith left once he was not canned earlier.

That said, any time you are looking at changes at the ownership level, you are probably looking at management changes as well.

Can anyone point to something Burke has done that would suggest he should have been retained? He got Phaneuf for scraps, but it has not really affected the fortune of the Leafs nor the Flames. Meanwhile that Kessel deal was an outright nightmare. Seguin will turn the corner on Kessel this season, meanwhile Doug Hamilton is a stud in the making as well.

Burke is a very smart guy but I think he's taken his "confidence" to another level since winning in Anaheim. Kind of funny that Nonis replaces him again. I just don't see that much potential in this current group of Leafs, including the lower levels of their organization. I think they would do well to get Luongo and I think it will happen eventually if not soon. It will be a bunch of interchangeable parts changing hands to make it look like a "blockbuster" but the deal will eventually come down to Luongo for a future first or something. I would laugh if he wound up commanding lower value than Sergei Bobrovsky and Anders Lindback. I know his contract is onerous but come on, this is a guy who has proven he can carry a heavy load and perform well already.