eBay version 3.0

Brilliant!

Response from eBay seller after I ask him for measurements then I tell him his jersey is too long so I'll pass (had it listed at $160)

"Hockey jersey are worn long If you buy I give jersey to you for $145"

Maybe if I say it's too wide I'll get another $15 off!

Edited by Cygnus X-1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could put it to the test, same title, same angles. I don't think j4tw is necessarily misleading anyone (maybe stretching the meaning of "MINT", especially with that frayed neck tag), but there is no denying that his listings have some pull.

I tried that once, copied his listing and just changed the title a little bit for the team I was listing. Used all caps and everything, didn't come close to his prices.

Agreed, but I think that's because you're an honest seller.

I'm not seeing what's dishonest about it other than the frayed neck tag/not mint issue.

Mint condition means something that has virtually no flaws whatsoever. Since the collar is frayed, it is not in
"MINT" condition. A few years ago, I won a White CCM Penguins Ultrafil that was advertized as "Mint". When I got it, it has snags all over it. So I would not always trust J4TW/.

I tried that once, copied his listing and just changed the title a little bit for the team I was listing. Used all caps and everything, didn't come close to his prices.e

Of course you did not come close. You did not shill it. Yes I know people will say "how do you know if he shill bids?". I believe at least at one time he was. That is all

Of course you did not come close. You did not shill it. Yes I know people will say "how do you know if he shill bids?". I believe at least at one time he was. That is all

I completely agree, and that's the true dishonesty behind his auctions. He often describes things as "mint" when they truly are not and than they all get bid up real high. I've seen countless Bruins CCM jerseys from the early 90's sell for far less than what his black Bruins jersey is currently at, and most of those were customized. He normally acquires rare sweaters so when the WildWings, BK's, early 90's Caps all end for crazy amounts that's not really a surprise because people eat those things up. It's just the fact all his jerseys always end relatively high compared to the rest of the eBay world.

Regarding Jerseys4TheWin. I don't know if he shill bids, but there are some legit reasons why his auctions would attract more bids, even if you copied his listing.

The biggest reason is that eBay's default search function is "Best Match" not newly listed or ending soonest. He probably gets a very high ranking for best match compared to casual sellers since he is a top rated seller who offers a 14 day return policy. If he offered free shipping, he'd probably get even more bids, and make more than enough to cover the money he would be "losing" by offering free shipping. People still have to pay for return shipping when returning an item, so offering free shipping doesn't exactly lead to abuse of returns.

Second, you've got to take into account, not everybody is a collector who knows how to spot fake jerseys. There are fans who might want their teams older jersey, but don't have the time to research about jerseys. These are the same people who will refer to fakes as replicas. They just have no idea where to start. Most of us would probably have no idea where to start when it comes to fake handbags. So because he is a top-rated seller, it's also possible he gets the occasional casual bidder who is assured by his high feedback/ebay approval that they won't be buying a fake. They also don't know the value of the jersey, so they are willing to bid higher.

In short, if you're a top-rated seller who offers a 14 day return policy, and anything else like free shipping that gets you a higher placement on eBay's default search, your stuff will sell for more.

Again, no idea if he shill bids or not, but I just thought I'd shed some light on why someone in his position probably gets more bids than a casual seller.

He definitely shill bids. There's several examples of seeing a jersey listed for a few days with no bids, and then the jersey mysteriously vanishes. Then he relists the same jersey under his ownership a week later and has 5-10 bids immediately.

Ebay won't shut him down, so the only thing I can think to do is not buy from him out of principle. And fortunately while there is the occasional rookie buyer who doesn't know his dishonesty and shilling, the majority of his potential buyers are the hardcores that know about his scummyness and have stopped buying from him.

Edited by likeaboss2

Ok... I was unaware of this guy and now feel...concerned. :( I just bought a jersey from him (Islanders Fisherman 54). I did not even pay attention if he shill bid on it... but it seemed like a normal bidding war when I saw it since the last time I came across a Fisherman at 54 is ended at just under $200...

Though I notice almost ALL the lower bids from nothing to like $100 is the same "person" with a very low feedback number...

Will have to let you know if the jersey is as advertised...(claimed no flaws but said used not mint)...

Let it be known I know I overpaid... but a Fisherman in my size is something I rarely see and an item I'd overpay for...call me a sucker but...I really wanted it.

Edited by WrathofAchilles

The guy lives on ebay. Him and his goons are constantly browsing ebay snatching up anything of value and relisting it with the intention on shill bidding it up, and if no one bites. he will end up "buying" the item with one of his dummy accounts and repeat the proceess every couple of weeks.

It sucks because you could probably have scored that jersey for a lot cheaper without his deception. I hope you don't get screwed with the jersey, it may be fine....but the guy is bad for the hobby.

Edited by likeaboss2

How does he get around paying the final value fees when he wins his own auctions.

I get that some people don't like him because the guy has insane timing at finding jerseys and flipping them, but I've never seen any evidence that he shill bids.

No everyone bid snipes and just because some idiot bidders like to manually increment their bids by $5 or $10 and end up bidding 10+ times in an auction that doesn't mean it's shill bidding, it just means they are idiots. Unless this guy is psychic and knows what your max bid is, there's going to be a lot of bid retractions or as TMLFAN said, he's going to have to eat 10% in eBay fees each time one of his alleged shill bidders win.

If you do have evidence of actual shill bidding, where the same low feedback buyer repeatedly bids up that same seller then ends up with retractions or with the items being offered as second chance because the shill bidder won, then you absolutely should contact eBay. Shill bidding isn't just annoying, it's illegal and they will take action.

I'll start keeping track and post of some good examples but there's no other plausible explanation that a seller will list a jersey for $100 and get 0-2 bids, while he lists the same jersey, perhaps in worse condition, for $9.99 and it gets 25 bids up to $200-$300, and then lists THE SAME JERSEY a couple weeks later. It's not 1 time where maybe a buyer flaked. This happens with all of his items, all year round.

He's been doing it for years (not just hockey, all sports) and knows how to game the system. He has several bidding accounts. I report him every time I can but it does nothing. So now I hurt him the only way I can, with my wallet.

Edited by likeaboss2

I realize the irony in me saying this, but hot ######, you people need to get a life.

My girlfriend printed this out and taped it above my monitor a while back ...

duty_calls.png

Probably the last year they wear that shoulder patch too, since they are going to become the Arizona Coyotes next year. I'd say you got a good deal because Reebok probably never made any of those 2.0's for retail, at least I have seen any anywhere.

Edited by DC Red Wings

I was watching that one for a while. Would have grabbed it if it was the red version with a wordmark so I can make a Mike Smith jersey. The Yotes jerseys are another example of how simple design and colors go a long way. Sweet jersey.

I love the Coyotes "crest" - the use of a suede material for the tan part is a great touch.

I'm not sure why the link I posted says $199, because I got it for $179.10 + $15 shipping. I figured anything under $200 combined was pretty good, especially because I see a lot of 2.0s from Jersey Baron above $300.

Yeah the Coyotes jerseys are nice. I picked up a Vrbata fairly recently and Im definitely a fan.

I love the Coyotes "crest" - the use of a suede material for the tan part is a great touch.

I never knew that before... that's a really cool feature.