Teams that have moved question

lafountain

So I have been to quite a few events at American Airlines Center and recently I was at an event there and I noticed that of all the banners that the Stars have hanging, they are all from the Dallas Stars era. They have nothing other than the retired numbers banner that acknowledges their time in Minnesota, and even that doesn't say Minnesota, it just has the numbers. I was wondering how the other relocated teams have handled their past.

most often it is ignored like it did not exist, Phoenix never acknowledged anything to do with Winnipeg. Colorado did something cool a few years back wearing nords jerseys in Quebec. For the most part team SHYT on cities once the move see Washington National and Montreal Expos.

Calgary ignore the time in atlanta, the devils ignore anything to do with colorado. I would doubt the Hurricanes have anything to remind fans of the Whle or the brass bonaza!!

Teams don't want to do anything to remind fans about that nature of the business...they don't want to remind fans that these franchises can pick up and move whenever they please. It would be really counter-productive to leave up the old numbers, if you want fans to get attached to your team don't remind them that they might move and you might not want to get too attached.

most often it is ignored like it did not exist, Phoenix never acknowledged anything to do with Winnipeg. Colorado did something cool a few years back wearing nords jerseys in Quebec. For the most part team SHYT on cities once the move see Washington National and Montreal Expos.

Negative ghost rider, it's the opposite.

The Coyotes acknowledge all the history of Jets 1.0. They kept all the retired Jets numbers out of circulation and retired Hawerchuk's number in Phoenix. The Jets' tradition of crowd whiteout and failure in the NHL playoffs have carried on in Phoenix as well. I'm not sure they will keep all that when they move to Quebec City.

Colorado has gone out of their way to dissociate themselves from the Nordiques and acknowledge the Bruins history. They put all the retired numbers in Quebec back into circulation.

Like everything with Karmanos the Hurricanes half-Arse their Whalers history. Francis' number is retired and Howe's number is out of circulation, the rest are still in circulation. Karmanos' junior team is still the Whalers. But then they couldn't really do much since the City of Hartford owned the rights to the Whalers up until recently.

Dallas kept all the history from Minnesota.

Calgary has used the Atlanta Flames logo for the "A" on their jerseys.

The Senators actually claim the history of the early 20th century Senators.

The Scouts and Rockies don't have much history for the Devils to claim.

Jets 2.0 don't officially acknowledge the history of Jets 1.0 and hasn't put Dan Snyder's number back into circulation.

Would it kill the Avalanche to have kept the retired numbers that way?

I think it's pretty crappy to put those back into circulation and a slap in the face to Tremblay, Tardif, Goulet and Stastny.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the websites for the Baltimore Ravens and the Cleveland Browns. The Ravens don't list players or records from when they were the Cleveland Browns. The current Cleveland Browns show those players, and history, even though the current organization did not exist then. I'm wondering what happened to the trophies from those years.

Would you want to claim anything in Cleveland? :lol:

The NFL let Cleveland keep the Browns' history and promised them an expansion team to get out of lawsuits. Same deal as in the NBA with Seattle/OKC.

Felt so bad for my friends who are Browns fans this weekend, had to be so tough watching their team win another Super Bowl after skipping town. At least that scumbag Art Modell wasn't around to see this one.

Calgary ignore the time in atlanta, the devils ignore anything to do with colorado. I would doubt the Hurricanes have anything to remind fans of the Whle or the brass bonaza!!

Calgary hasn't ignored the Atlanta history at all. There isn't a banner, but they kept the name Flames, retained the colors, jersey design and as previously mentioned currently use the Atlanta logo for alternate captains.

Felt so bad for my friends who are Browns fans this weekend, had to be so tough watching their team win another Super Bowl after skipping town. At least that scumbag Art Modell wasn't around to see this one.

Modell is on the spit in the pig roast in hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes there has to be a clean break, for example the Jets and Whalers both had their name, logo and colors retained by their original cities. They severed the two franchises. In some cases, that pays off for the cities and an EXPANSION franchise is actually the continuation of the original team. That is what happened with the Jets I believe, certainly with the NFL's Browns and NBA's Super Sonics.

I'd go with "pretend", rather than "actually" the continuation of the original team. Same city, different organization.