Bruins trade Thomas to Islanders

oiler99

So the Bruins traded Tim Thomas to Long Island for a second round pick either in 2014 or 2015, depending on where he will play next season. He's not playing anywhere this year despite being traded.

What are the chances of the Islanders signing him next year?

The Islanders only traded for him to have his salary count towards their cap floor. They have no intention of him ever playing for them. It is disgusting that they would give away a second round pick just to save money. This is why I no longer follow them. Charlie and Garth are a total joke. The first sign that they had no intention of competing was when they dumped Ted Nolan after he had gotten them back to being respectable.

They are not giving up a pick...the condition is if Tim Thomas plays a game for the Isles, they get the draft pick. What pisses me off is that the Islanders are helping a rival. This better be the start of a blockbuster trade. I am really beginning to feel bad for Johnny and wouldn't be outraged if they trade him elsewhere. It isn't fair to him. Let him have an amazing NHL career on a real NHL team.

The sad part is that the Islanders might actually put up a respectable record with a real goalie. It's too bad for Isles fans that Thomas will never see the light of day in an Islanders uniform.

The sad part is that the Islanders might actually put up a respectable record with a real goalie. It's too bad for Isles fans that Thomas will never see the light of day in an Islanders uniform.

Don't want him. I'd rather roll Nabokov.

Don't want him. I'd rather roll Nabokov.

You're telling me you wouldn't want that second round pick? Would Thomas want to hurt Boston enough just to play a couple games knowing the Bruins would be out a second rounder if he did?

You're telling me you wouldn't want that second round pick? Would Thomas want to hurt Boston enough just to play a couple games knowing the Bruins would be out a second rounder if he did?

We don't get the 2nd round pick. This was the trade:

To NYI:

Tim Thomas

To Boston:

2014 or 2015 Conditional* second round draft pick

*Condition is Boston receives the pick if Tim Thomas reports to the New York Islanders or if the NYI trade his rights and Thomas reports to that team, then the Isles need to give up the pick.

So we don't get a pick. I'd rather keep Nabby and our 2nd round pick (which realistically will be around 35 overall) over a 37 year old Tim Thomas. That's why it is embarrassing. Isles get nothing out of this trade

Ahhh...I thought the Isles were getting the pick in exchange for taking the salary off the books.

Haha nope! That's why I am livid. We helped out the Bruins. They now have $7m of space to make a trade for an impact player at the deadline. This better be a precursor to a Visnovsky or Streit trade.

Well the trade puts the Islanders above the floor, which they were required to do. And they don't spend any real money. I doubt it's a precursor to anything.

They were over the floor anyway...just needed the insurance for when they trade Visnovsky ($5.4 cap hit I think) and/or Streit ($4.1m cap hit).

• 2 weeks later...

They were over the floor anyway...just needed the insurance for when they trade Visnovsky ($5.4 cap hit I think) and/or Streit ($4.1m cap hit).

Now they're stuck with 2 goalies over 35 years old. What kind of trade was this? Not trying to be critical. I'm just curious as to what a die-hard fan thinks.

Now they're stuck with 2 goalies over 35 years old. What kind of trade was this? Not trying to be critical. I'm just curious as to what a die-hard fan thinks.

The answer is in the post you're replying to. :lol:

I absolutely hate it. It is disgusting. I cannot believe the NHL allowed this trade to go through. It is insulting to the fanbase. SnoWang better have another deal in the works.