Detroit Red Wings ultrafil question

Mnwildfan7000

Ultrafil with small block CCM logo from '85-86 to the start of the '89-90 season, and big block with CCM logo and NHL shield by the end of the '89-90 season. As mentioned in the link, Air-Knit starting in '90-91.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump up and old topic, but I need a little help in trying to figure out what I bought.  Here is the link to the eBay listing, the jersey has arrived, just haven't had time to take my own pictures of it yet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322512199069?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Based on what Slim said above, the Wings stopped using UltraFil in 89-90, but this is a 91-92 since it has the NHL shield which wouldn't have been on the jerseys yet.  It has both the size written on the tag, and the size tag on the jersey. There is a player that played in the 91-92 season named Scott King and he wore #31, appeared in one game in goal for 16 minutes.  Here is a picture, can't really tell if he is wearing UltraFil or Air Knit: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott King

Does the fight strap have the rounded buttons, as opposed to the flat ones?

Actually, based on what he said, its a CCM big block with the shield, which is the end of 89-90 if its Ultrafil (which it is). 

Looks like that one was customized to be a 91-92 since its got the 75th Patch and that guy's name and number. But why the hell would anyone customize a jersey with a guy that played in one game for 16 minutes? 

He played in one game in 90-91 also, 45 minutes. Guy's entire NHL career was just over an hour long. 

9 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Does the fight strap have the rounded buttons, as opposed to the flat ones?

I believe these are the flat ones, but I took picture in case I am wrong:

A52161B5-FBCE-4612-B1D3-DB88B05CD40E_zps

E7DBE8CE-EC31-4B5C-9D93-8B568B3ABAEB_zps

More than likely this jersey was made around 1990, one of the last ultrafils made for the Wings.  This was a transition period where most jerseys had only the Maska neck tag with handwritten size, but a few had the small size tag together with the Maska tag.  By 1991 most jerseys had the fight strap with the flat buttons, but before that most seemed to have the rounded ones.

If the jersey is game used, it wouldn't be unusual for a scrub player to have an older leftover jersey lettered for him, so it's not at all out of the question for a 1990 jersey to have been used in the 1991/92 season.  It could also be that someone lettered a retail jersey after the fact, but like mfitz said, not likely they would have put such an obscure player on it.  In any case, the jersey looks legit; it may have just been one of those transition period ones which had mixed tagging features.

I am completely lost without Slim's book.  I need to buy another one so I have access to it while I am at work.  So, just so I am correct, the Red Wings would of had 1989-90 UltraFil jerseys at the end of the season with the NHL shield, correct?

Any chance this could just be a left over jersey the Wings had for a late season call up for a back up goalie, that happened to get some playing time?

*I think LAK74 just answered my question before I asked it*

Edited by spudrock512

I also just found this, a Steve Chiasson 89-90 game worn jersey that has the NHL shield.so they did have UltraFil jersey that had both the big block and the NHL shield.  http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1989_90_Steve_Chiasson_Detroit_Red_Wings_Game_Worn_Jersey_Autographed_Deceased-5991-158.html

The late 80's early 90's were a weird transition time for ccm.  They were changing from small block to big block no shield to shield, everything was just all over the place.  I've seen years where Leafs jerseys had different fonts depending on the player.

One last question about this jersey.  If it happens to be a gamer from that one game in '91-92 (assuming I could prove it) would it be worth more to keep it as it is, or would it be comparable in value if I strip it and make it into a 89-90 Yzerman?

I have the same dilemma,

I have a Leafs game worn goalie jersey from either the late 80's or early 90's (I believe it is Jeff Reese #35 but I'd have to check)

Part of me wants to strip it and make it into someone worth having to me - but I also don't want to end the history on the jersey.

It's been discussed on the board many times, I think the overall consensus was It's your jersey, do with it as you want.  

I'm firmly in the camp that says you should never alter a game-worn jersey. Never. I won't touch a game issue, either.

It's one thing if the team made the alteration, because that's the normal course of business for an equipment manager. But I believe that if it's meant to be an on-ice jersey, regardless of whether or not it ended up on the ice, then it should be left in its final state. I don't feel comfortable altering something that was specifically prepared for someone, no matter how obscure of a player they may be.

I strip Game Issued all the time. They have zero history attached to them. If it wasn't worn, as far as I'm concerned it's just a customized authentic. 

On 5/26/2017 at 7:33 AM, mfitz804 said:

I strip Game Issued all the time. They have zero history attached to them. If it wasn't worn, as far as I'm concerned it's just a customized authentic. 

That's what it is. Exactly the same thing.

3 hours ago, JoeM7392 said:

That's what it is. Exactly the same thing.

It makes me laugh when my MeiGray tries to sell a Jagr  Game issued for like $600. Why would anyone buy that? You can make your own for half that price.

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It makes me laugh when my MeiGray tries to sell a Jagr  Game issued for like $600. Why would anyone buy that? You can make your own for half that price.

BUT IT WAS MADE FOR JAGR, IT'S MORE SPECIAL! YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And like Jaro himself, that jersey will be there FOREVER!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this jersey, and I am a little embarrassed it took me this long to see this, but the jersey has custom width extensions on the sides of the jersey.  These were obviously added to the jersey as some point.  I also compared the jersey to another UltraFil size 52 jersey I had and the sleeves are definitely wider than the average sleeve. The signs are adding up this was a gamer used in that one game King played in the '91-92 season.  I order the only hockey card I could find of him wearing this jersey - I hope to be able to possible photo match the jersey to some loose threads or something. If anything, I think I will be able to prove he was wearing an UltraFil instead of an Air Knit.  Here are some pictures showing what I found:

6B2A20E7-EF11-4203-8889-D4B64894FFD8_zps

78D6719B-37A6-4A42-87D8-001737138F47_zps

7D726C10-2E68-4BD1-A371-9CDB278AA59B_zps

BF4C9D03-05E3-4B15-B3CF-C3A1B1B06027_zps

1 hour ago, spudrock512 said:

Quick update on this jersey, and I am a little embarrassed it took me this long to see this, but the jersey has custom width extensions on the sides of the jersey.  These were obviously added to the jersey as some point.  I also compared the jersey to another UltraFil size 52 jersey I had and the sleeves are definitely wider than the average sleeve. The signs are adding up this was a gamer used in that one game King played in the '91-92 season.  I order the only hockey card I could find of him wearing this jersey - I hope to be able to possible photo match the jersey to some loose threads or something. If anything, I think I will be able to prove he was wearing an UltraFil instead of an Air Knit.  Here are some pictures showing what I found:

Wow, that's some good detective work!  Looks like you stumbled upon quite a find!