NHL Realignment - thoughts?

DucksNPucks

What does everything think about the realignment?

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/nhl/images/upload/2013/03/realign_img.jpg

realign_img.jpeg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it. I would have just swapped Columbus and Winnipeg.

Have a 16 team conference and a 14 team conference is very unfair, and having the 2 Florida teams with 5 Northern teams makes no sense.

Whats the "before" look like?

I'm glad Columbus is finally in the east were they belong. But it does suck that the league had to give in the Detroit and make everything messy. A simple swap of Columbus and Winnipeg would have been best.

As a Rangers fan I am happy. Puts another crap team in our division while giving fans more opportunities to see the Red Wings, a team I have always found to be exciting (well may not as much this season.)

I believe it was the Chicago GM who said it (though it could be some other high ranking official) but it was said that Chicago is actually happy losing Detroit because the trade off is that they are guaranteed to see the other four Original Six teams every year.

The Eastern Conference is kind of weird. They could have switched the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lighting with the Pens and Flyers. That way the one Eastern division C would not be divided in two.

They could have put Colorado in the A and Detroit in B. That would have split the conferences evenly at 15 teams a piece. I think Detroit was pushing to be the East for some time so that's how that went down.

The Eastern Conference is kind of weird. They could have switched the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lighting with the Pens and Flyers. That way the one Eastern division C would not be divided in two.

They could have put Colorado in the A and Detroit in B. That would have split the conferences evenly at 15 teams a piece. I think Detroit was pushing to be the East for some time so that's how that went down.

I like your idea better than what they actually did as well. And when Phoenix moves to Quebec they will just have a problem all over again. Will they move Detroit and Columbus back west then?

I'm just happy that Columbus is not only in the east, but also in the Rangers' division. It's entirely selfish but now I go from seeing the Rangers once every other year, to seeing them 2-3 times a year :thumbsup:

Bettman already said that there's no going back west for Columbus and Detroit, no matter what happens with Phoenix, though obviously he's a sniveling liar.

Or if he is telling the truth, it means he will force Phoenix to KC or Seattle, and would only let Florida relocate to Quebec.

But he is a liar.

:noway:

SUX for the Florida teams...why not the Bolts, Panthers, Carolina, Nashville, Columbus, STL & Dallas?

instead they have the Florida teams going all the way up to Detroit, Boston, MTL, Buffalo,Toronto & the Sens?

yep. GREAT thinking Buttman!

:o

:noway:

SUX for the Florida teams...why not the Bolts, Panthers, Carolina, Nashville, Columbus, STL & Dallas?

instead they have the Florida teams going all the way up to Detroit, Boston, MTL, Buffalo,Toronto & the Sens?

yep. GREAT thinking Buttman!

:o

Odd suggestion. Those teams wouldn't really save the Florida teams THAT much travel, and there would be a lot more jet lag considering half that division is in a different timezone (exactly what Detroit was complaining about).

With your proposal:

- Tampa Bay is an average of 805 miles away from Florida, Carolina, Nashville, Columbus, St. Louis, and Dallas.

- Florida is an average of 958 miles away from Tampa Bay, Carolina, Nashville, Columbus, St. Louis, and Dallas.

With the current alignment:

- Tampa Bay is an average of 1194 miles away from Florida, Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.

- Florida is an average of 1334 miles away from Tampa Bay, Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.

So basically, your division proposal results in each team saving approximately 400 miles of travel for each time they need to go to the teams within their division (which would be twice per team, so 800 miles total), but it would add a lot of jet lag. Its not terrible, but I don't think its a massive improvement over the current alignment, especially when you consider the amount of boosted revenue the Florida teams will get from the snowbirds.

As long as they're playing and not locked out I could care less. I'm not the one traveling. Mr snider has plenty of money to fuel up the team plane.

This thread is as out of place as the Florida teams.

My bad. This was supposed to go under Hockey Talk, General Discussion. Can a moderator switch it? Thx

I like it.

Like Columbus in the East. Love seeing Detroit in the East. I miss the Leafs-Wings rivalry that has kind of died off. Will definitely be making the trip to Windsor/Detroit to catch more games.

It is weird the way the NHL assigned the Florida teams to the "C" division, but it may be indicative of the NHL considering the future. There are a ton of snowbirds supporting the Florida teams and I bet having more of the "C" division teams visiting those arenas will help with ticket and television revenue. Also, if the Miami franchise gets relocated, it wouldn't screw things up. Quebec and the Greater Toronto Area are still in that division and it is likely that is where the NHL will set up shop next. If it ends up in KC/Seattle, each conference will have an even amount of teams. If both KC and Seattle end up with franchises, my head might explode.

Really sucks for Nashville to lose the games against the Red Wings. They developed a nice rivalry.

it's better than before, but like others i don't like what they did with the FL teams. everything was drawn geographically except for this. instead the league wanted and got essentially a TV super division with division D. NBC now has even less reason to ever televise any game west of Detroit

it's odd for a lot of reasons mentioned above....but I will repeat the "why 16 teams in one and 14 in another?"

I like symmetry. yrtemmys ekil I

It's a little awkward, but I really don't get why everyone is so bent over the Florida teams. They'll do it for two years, if it doesn't work, they'll change it.

The league said FL was assigned that division because teams wanted to play more of the original 6 teams. This article explains it, but I don't agree with it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=660138&navid=DL|NHL|home

As a Nashville fan I like it. We've been quietly developing a pretty good rivalry with Dallas and we get more opportunities to boo the s*** out of Suter.

Losing Detroit and Cbus kinda sucks, but it makes sense to get the Eastern Time Zone teams out of the West.