NHL Realignment - thoughts?

DucksNPucks

I'm in ur Eastern Conference, stealing ur playoff bids.

Pretty excited about the Wings being in the East. People like to think of the old Norris Division as the way it should be, but of that division only three teams still are around. The Stars moved and the Leafs were swapped to the other conference.

Those days are over as far as I'm concerned, the Wings have had better rivalries with the Sharks and Predators these days (mostly because they ruined the Playoff Structure by getting rid of the divisional matchups in the first two rounds). Getting back to this old playoff system (with a new little twist) is what I'm most excited about.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a life long Detroit fan the only thing I REALLY hate about this is no longer having the Chicago rivalry. Detroit and Chicago have played each other more than any other teams in NHL history. I am happy that we get to play Toronto and Montreal more often now though. The rest of the teams in our new division I don't care one way or the other about. I'm glad we don't have to play in Columbus and hear that stupid cannon very much anymore.

it's better than before, but like others i don't like what they did with the FL teams. everything was drawn geographically except for this. instead the league wanted and got essentially a TV super division with division D. NBC now has even less reason to ever televise any game west of Detroit

It already seems like every game they show either has the Bruins, Penquins, Flyers, or Rangers in it. I don't care if I never see another Boston or Pittsburg game.

Anyone know how the playoffs work? Do the teams play each other within their division first or is it still ranked from 1st to 8th based on the overall conference with the top two being the division leaders?

It's top 3 teams in each division then best two records regardless of division in each conference (wild card teams)

Ok, how is the seeding? Is it still by conference? 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5

Here's what I would have done if I ruled the world.

nhl-map11-124Div-2.png

Basically I would not have given in to Snyder and Ilitch and would have separated Philadelphia from New York and never, ever would have separated Chicago and Detroit. The West would be 15 and the East would be 15. I love the idea of four Conferences and then reseeding the final four teams by record, leaving the possibility of a Philadelphia vs New York final.

Oh yea, I would have kept the Florida teams with Carolina and Nashville. It is after all, a state, not a province and does not belong in Canada. Years from now when they fix that, they will apologize for this one and say "it never should have happened."

Here's my full article on my blog about my plan and my feelings.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2013/02/2013-14-nhl-realignment.html

Here's what I would have done if I ruled the world.

nhl-map11-124Div-2.png

Basically I would not have given in to Snyder and Ilitch and would have separated Philadelphia from New York and never, ever would have separated Chicago and Detroit. The West would be 15 and the East would be 15. I love the idea of four Conferences and then reseeding the final four teams by record, leaving the possibility of a Philadelphia vs New York final.

Oh yea, I would have kept the Florida teams with Carolina and Nashville. It is after all, a state, not a province and does not belong in Canada. Years from now when they fix that, they will apologize for this one and say "it never should have happened."

Here's my full article on my blog about my plan and my feelings.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2013/02/2013-14-nhl-realignment.html'>http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2013/02/2013-14-nhl-realignment.html

If only you were commissioner!

I think the NHL knows something about the Florida teams and is planning for the future....just my thought.

MAYBE the Panthers but the Bolts are on as solid ground as some of the northern teams... Another sellout last night!

• 2 months later...

nhlrealignment.png

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking the new alignment should look like. It keeps Detroit in the East and the Flyers/Pens are still division rivals.

It's not all about the Flyers and Pens. I doubt the NHL would keep Philly, the New York teams, and New Jersey away from one another. That would split up too many great rivalries and probably hurt the tv ratings. I know fans wouldn't like it.

But generally, your drawing isn't bad. I give you some props.

• 1 month later...

I dislike this Metropolitan Division name.

Should have stayed Atlantic for those teams and call the 4th division what it is, the North plus two teams from Florida Division!

I dislike this Metropolitan Division name.

Should have stayed Atlantic for those teams and call the 4th division what it is, the North plus two teams from Florida Division!

They are calling it "Flortheast" on Twitter.

I think the NHL did a S H I T T Y job!!!! Besides the names the worst thing they did, in my humble opinion, is the way they took the excitement of the Original Six and totally busted it up leaving the Hawks completely alone with the 5 other team in the opposite conference...Taking Detroit away and a lifetime of rivals with it...To go into the United Center waiting to see the Hawks and Wings was just as special as a playoff game and now....one time a year....

In my humble opinion-the NHL dropped the ball-BIG TIME!!!!!!

I give it two years before they re-align the divisions (Quebec/Seattle teams?).

I don't like the 16/14 split. As you said, I don't like separating the Wings/Hawks (at least put them in the same conference, doesn't need to be same division).

Not for nothing but we (and this includes the Isles) have the toughest division. There will be some good teams left out of the playoffs thanks to this new format.

I've always said the "old" Atlantic is/was the best in hockey. The Isles aren't doormats any more, Philly was stricken with injuries last season, the NYR were out of shape, NJ is always good, and Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh,

The "Old" Central division was also pretty solid.

New Jersey without Kovalchuk and Parise IS that bad. Marty loses his job a month into the season, fans riot, Pete DeBoer is fired, Marty gets his job back and the Devils finish dead last.

Schneider is a great goalie. No doubt in my mind. If Hedberg was the backup, then sure, losing Uncle Daddy is a big deal. Offensively, they are not bad. Ryder and Jagr will replace Kovalchuk (Why else would Lou skip Meigray if he isn't close to signing Jagr). Their defense is weak. Their offense okay (Henrique, Zajac, Ryder, Elias, possibly Jagr) and goaltending is great.

How many people wrote off Montreal this past season and they ended up winning the NE division (sure it was 1/2 of a season, but still). Championships aren't won on paper. ranger (and pens) fans should know that!