Iginla lists Pittsburgh & Chicago among teams he would want to be traded to

ItsBennGreat

According to Renaud Lavoie of RDS Iginla has submitted a list of four teams he would want to be traded to:

Boston

Chicago

Los Angeles

Pittsburgh

I follow RDS pretty closely but I do take much of the reporting from their blogs by a grain of salt. Still, the list includes 4 teams that are considered Cup contenders. Now what do you think about this...the list doesn't include any Canadian teams plus for any of those four to get Iginla, the trade would have to be significant. I'm surprised I don't see Montreal up there, considering they're 2nd in the East.

Both solid reports IMO, I just question if that is the FULL list or not.

Obviously he'd be a huge boost to any of those teams and with prorated cap hits (without looking) they could all find a way to afford him at the deadline.

I was really hoping he'd end up in Montreal, they would be a legit contender with him IMHO.

Of those four teams, I could really only see Iginla legitimately winding up with the Hawks or Kings, though I'm not sure whether either has or could create cap space for him. With the way Chicago has been playing, getting Iginla pretty much gives them the Cup.

Well if this morrow trade goes through, he won't be coming here.

Yep, since the Morrow trade went through, Pittsburgh likely won't go after Iginla. Kind of ironic how it was Morrow for Morrow!

Of those four teams, I could really only see Iginla legitimately winding up with the Hawks or Kings, though I'm not sure whether either has or could create cap space for him. With the way Chicago has been playing, getting Iginla pretty much gives them the Cup.

They both had the space, cap hits are prorated at the deadline. Literally any team but possibly Vancouver and Minnesota could have afforded to add him, even space strapped teams like Philly.

Boston became the frontrunner almost instantly after the list. I am surprised they stuck to their original demand of a top prospect, a second tier prospect and a first rounder. I figured with Boston, they might go for more picks as their system is not super stocked. Feaster must like these guys. If a Flames exec likes you, you should take extra caution crossing the street to not be nailed by a bus. Terrible trade for Calgary, who is fast turning into the worst organization in the NHL.

Apparently Twitter has failed us, the Flames themselves just tweeted that Iginla was traded to the PENGUINS, not the Bruins.....https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/317146575606517760

Khokhlachev is better than any of the junk Feaster got out of Shero. The Joel Ward fan club in Bahston must have scared Iginla so badly for him to want to join a terrorist organization. :angry:

No I am not bitter

They both had the space, cap hits are prorated at the deadline. Literally any team but possibly Vancouver and Minnesota could have afforded to add him, even space strapped teams like Philly.

Boston became the frontrunner almost instantly after the list. I am surprised they stuck to their original demand of a top prospect, a second tier prospect and a first rounder. I figured with Boston, they might go for more picks as their system is not super stocked. Feaster must like these guys. If a Flames exec likes you, you should take extra caution crossing the street to not be nailed by a bus. Terrible trade for Calgary, who is fast turning into the worst organization in the NHL.

CC, you're saying the Iginla trade was bad for Calgary? I thought the Pens trading a first-round pick + decent prospects for a guy who is 35 going on 36 is a little much. I am not sure if Pittsburgh re-signs him this summer. To me it looks like a rental with his $7M cap hit. What do you think?

Crap, I think we paid more for Morrow.

I'm totally fine with a 1st and two college players that will probably never even play for us anyways.

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out a re-sign after the season, Matt. I've read whispers that he wanted to try to resign with whoever he got traded to. You never know!

I can't see Iginla re-upping with the Pens unless they win it all. I think if they get to the finals and lose, or don't even get that far, he'll sign with whoever wins the cup. And if they do win, I could totally see him retiring a la Ray Bourque.

Crap, I think we paid more for Morrow.

I'm totally fine with a 1st and two college players that will probably never even play for us anyways.

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out a re-sign after the season, Matt. I've read whispers that he wanted to try to resign with whoever he got traded to. You never know!

It's possible he may return after this year. The Penguins have about $11.5 M in cap space for 2013-2014 with the salary cap down to $64.3 M. However, they have a lot of FAs they might want to re-sign. Though I think if the Penguins fall short this year in the playoffs, Iginla might be willing to take less and re-sign. But it all depends, IMO, on what the other FAs will demand $-wise. I'd love to see him return and finish his career with Pittsburgh. Who wouldn't want to play with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin?

It's possible he may return after this year. The Penguins have about $11.5 M in cap space for 2013-2014 with the salary cap down to $64.3 M. However, they have a lot of FAs they might want to re-sign. Though I think if the Penguins fall short this year in the playoffs, Iginla might be willing to take less and re-sign. But it all depends, IMO, on what the other FAs will demand $-wise. I'd love to see him return and finish his career with Pittsburgh. Who wouldn't want to play with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin?

Anyone with dignity.

They have all that cap space because they only have 7 forwards signed for next year.

Anyone with dignity.

They have all that cap space because they only have 7 forwards signed for next year.

:rolleyes: No kidding. That's why I said they have a lot of FAs to re-sign, most of which are forwards.

Well with Crosbaby out indefinitely after the puck to the face, I'm wondering if Iggy is beginning to regret not approving the trade to Boston. Pittsburgh is a completely different animal without Sid.

Well with Crosbaby out indefinitely after the puck to the face, I'm wondering if Iggy is beginning to regret not approving the trade to Boston. Pittsburgh is a completely different animal without Sid.

I disagree about Sid. The Penguins are still an explosive and dangerous team without their captain in the lineup. After he left Saturday's game, other players - Cooke, Malkin, Neal, etc. - stepped up and led the team to victory. That's the mantra of the Penguins. They aren't a one-man-show, and don't revolve around one single player. Rather they utilize just about every player. Someone makes a necessary play to win. That's one reason why they have won 15 consecutive games.